How to combine Iso Image with Data?

The Acronis BackUp File of my Boot Partititon is only 3.6 GB so what I’d like to do is burn a single DvD with the BackUp File AND the Acronis “Restore Manager” on the same disk. If possible, I’m hoping to have a total system restore all on one disk???

I read and tried all the suggestions at this thread:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=125290

but nothing works.

1. I can make an Iso Image of the Acronis Start Up disk and Nero will burn this to a DvD and this DvD will boot into the Recovery Manager. What I can’t get is the DvD to Boot when I add the backup file to the Dvd. I’ve tried unpacking the Acronis Start Up Program and every other “twist” I can think of to append the data to the Iso Image but nothing will boot. I have Nero and SuperIso, IsoBuster, and DeCrypter.

Anyone know how to do this??? ///// Thanks, Bobbo.

MagicISO is what I’d try. It retains bootability when files are added to a bootable image.

I don’t use Acronis, but I edit ISO images for similar purposes as well as other purposes using UltraISO which is a $30 ShareWare program.

UltraISO also retains bootability when you add (or delete) files from an ISO image.

hi there! i’m new to this forum, and i think i can be of service on this question.

First of all what the version of true image do you use. Have you tried the option to burn CD/DVD from the program?

Hey!! - Thanks Guys.

I’ve spent the last two days trying to tweak/and recover my newly installed XP Pro system but I did spend a few hours googling on “bootable CD” which got me to Barts CD tortilla programs and I have to admit I got lost in the details somewhere around having to start with floppy disks. Then googled on “bootable dvd” and it looks like things have gotten a little simpler, but I’m still not there.

With your responses, I am further encouraged. I only glanced at Magic and Ultra Iso–seemed they would only burn an Iso Image–but now I’ll go back and look more closely.

Jordan–I’m using Acronis 9.0. I am VERY pleased with it. Last month with Acronis 8.0, I could NOT GET a working clone of my Win2K using “any” of the clone programs. NOw, with 9.0 I get working clones of XP Pro very fast and easy. I don’t know if it is Acronis or the OS that is making the difference, but I’m sticking with my new set up because I can Back it Up!!!

I have not burned to dvd. Last time I used Acronis 8.0 to burn to dvd all it did was put the backup image on the disk (.tib files) and the “Acronis Start Up Disk” was needed to boot on startup and access that disk. Thats what I’m trying to avoid here. I will burn to a dvd to see what happens - - but I will guess what I describe above?? ((Otherwise I would think Acronis would describe this functionality, and it does not–unless I missed it.))

Well, obviously this is not a “do or die” issue, as multiple disks are not “that big” an issue==but with the space available, why not learn how to do it???
I’ll post back with any solutions I find–so please stay with me and suggest away!! ///// Bobbo.

(((Edit–PS–This current thread is very informative on this issue http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=56065--I’ll cross post if I get an answer.)))

I have not burned to dvd. Last time I used Acronis 8.0 to burn to dvd all it did was put the backup image on the disk (.tib files) and the “Acronis Start Up Disk” was needed to boot on startup and access that disk. Thats what I’m trying to avoid here. I will burn to a dvd to see what happens - - but I will guess what I describe above?? ((Otherwise I would think Acronis would describe this functionality, and it does not–unless I missed it.))

yes you are right, coz in old versions of true image you can do only not bootable image and burn it on cd. As fara as i remember last summer they released an update, that allow to make cds/dvds bootable. i don’t know whether you use the latest built of true image, but search for this, if i’m not mistaken it should be in “bootable rescue media builder”.

the second question, from your post i understood that at first you had version 8 and then you upgraded to version 9. How much time have passed since? if less than 30 days you can get version 10 for free(which is better and easier), all you need is to contact support.

Can WinRAR open an ISO and allow you to add to it? Or just decompress one?

WinRAR 3.51 can only open and extract files from an ISO archive, but it cannot add files to an ISO archive.

I don’t know about the latest WinRAR 3.60.

ImgBurn can’t add files to an ISO either, right?

That’s right.

Thanks.

Well, I found and used two Iso Editors 1=UltraIso and 2=the freeware AVS Disc Creator 2.1. Both were somewhat “intuitive” to modify the ISO image content by easily adding folders and files but completely NON-informative about what it had done and where the files were. Still, both created a modified ISO image of Acronis 9.0 with a video and music file as attachments ((Didn’t want to use the .tib backup files because of the file size limit and burning time—trying to KISS this project)). When the added data is “outside” the ISO image, the image is there and explorable but will not boot the computer. When the data is added inside the ISO image, the dvd will burn without error notice but will not boot the computer AND the disk is “blank” --ie, nothing is there when opened or explored <although ISOBuster and Nero Disk Info do report the size of the used portion so it is “there.”>

I tried Nero in ISO CD and UDF mode and as Data Compilation for the DvD in UDF mode.

Not working yet, but I feel closer—probably have to just find a program that will work (Magic Iso maybe?) or read some more about bootable dvd’s??==Seems “maybe” extracting the ISO image to get its components and then running a script to “run” the autoplay feature or some .exe file or something like that would get the final product??==ie, avoid whatever limitations the single image ISO format causes?? It all makes sense “logically.” I’ll take a few days off here to work on my backup strategy but will check this thread for any good thoughts. //// bobbo.