How to clone a copyrighted CD - pls help

I have a data CD that I legally bought. I want to make a copy of the CD. However, when I do that, the computer recognizes it is not the “original” CD. So far, I have tried Nero 6, CloneCd 5.3, and Alcohol 52. I was able to create new CDs (in case of Alcohol, I created an image on my hard drive) but the computer still refuses to run it from the copied CD.

Please help. Thank you.

Welcome bumbrlik,

first we need to know the used protection on the disc. Take a look here and focus on protection id as it’s ‘up to date’.

Done. I ran ProtectionID v5.2c. It produced this output :

Scanning -> D:\setup.exe
File Type : Exe, Size : 121064 (01D8E8h) Bytes
-> File has 5864 (016E8h) bytes of appended data starting at offset 01C200h
[!] Possible CD/DVD-Check String -> CD in the drive

• Scan Took : 0.969 Seconds

does it mean it did not find any protection ? I also ran A-Ran Scanner and it did not find anything. What’s next ?

Thanks,
Bumbrlik

Try scanning exe files in the directory where the program is installed on your harddisk.
If you have a shortcut on your desktop, you can rightclick on it and select ‘Scan with ProtectionID’.

Tried it - still nothing. This is the output (I ran it on .exe and also on .dll) :

Scanning -> C:\Program Files\Dearborn\Exam Guide North Carolina\edapp.exe
File Type : Exe, Size : 1093632 (010B000h) Bytes
[!] Possible CD/DVD-Check String -> CD in the drive

• Scan Took : 0.954 Seconds

Scanning -> C:\Program Files\Dearborn\Exam Guide North Carolina\edappassistant.dll
File Type : Dll, Size : 49152 (0C000h) Bytes
[!] File appears to have no protection or is using an unknown protection

• Scan Took : 0.954 Seconds

Scanning -> C:\Program Files\Dearborn\Exam Guide North Carolina\unicows.dll
File Type : Dll, Size : 245408 (03BEA0h) Bytes
-> File has 6816 (01AA0h) bytes of appended data starting at offset 03A400h

• Scan Took : 0.969 Seconds

Are there any .dat files in the installation directory? In some cases, the copy protection is inside a .dat file.

Well, I checked all the .dat files and nothing. I found one more .dll file (see Protection ID output below).

Is a protection really the culprit ? I mean I was able to copy it with no problems. The issue is that the program can somehow identify if the original CD is in the CD drive. Even when I install the program (from the original CD) and then try to run it while having the copied CD in the CD drive, it still won’t run.

Scanning -> C:\Program Files\Dearborn\Exam Guide North Carolina\data\UploadComponent.dll
File Type : Dll, Size : 135168 (021000h) Bytes
[!] Possible CD/DVD-Check String -> cd_rom
[!] Possible CD/DVD-Key or Serial Check -> SerialNumber

• Scan Took : 0.984 Seconds

You get any read errors when dumping the image? If you got nero virtual drive installed uninstall it, CloneCD could also be a problem. Which settings did you use in Alcohol creating the image and are you using the latest release? You get any error message?

No, I did not get any errors at all.
Yes, I am using the latest Alcohol. Again, no errors. I picked “General Protected CD” as the datatype.

Could be Tages. You could try downloading the free trial (adware) version of Daemon Tools Pro here and create an image using the Tages profile.
[B]Be aware that this version of DT Pro contains adware.[/B]