How to choose between different versions of the BDR-208?

Hello to everyone.
In choosing a Blu Ray recorder for the first time, I am looking at the BDR-208, but it seems to be available in several different versions.
Specifically, in my area (the UK) I can find it with the suffix “EBK” said to be a BDXL drive, and “DBK” said to a BD-RE drive. Both are roughly the same price so can anyone explain the difference between them, or point me to a page explaining the subtle nuances (I assume…).
I have tried looking on the Pioneer site, but they don’t seem interested in any but current models, and a quick search of these forums didn’t show any relevant info.
Thanks in advance.

They’re (for most intents & purposes) the same, except the EBK supports BDXL. That’s pretty much it.

Thanks for the quick reply, Albert but…
Hate to show my ignorance, but as I should probably have said in my original post, I have no idea what either BDXL or BD-RE refers to or what they mean, so would appreciate any help.
As I said before, if this is too basic a question for this forum, please direct me to a page /site that explains these and other differences between apparently identical recorders.

Here’s a quick rundown of the different typed of writable BD media:

BD-R: the basic, write-once BDR media. If you see the media just labeled BD-R, it’s probably only a single layer, so about 25 GB capacity.

BD-R DL: the dual layer version of the above, similar to DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL. About 50 GB capacity.

BD-RE: rewritable BD media. Equivalent to CD-RW and DVD+RW or DVD-RW. Typically single layer (25 GB), unless noted as being DL (50 GB).

BDXL: triple- or quad-layer BD-R. Still fairly rare. Somehow works out to 100GB for triple-layer media, or 128 GB for quad layer media. A rewritable version was planned, but hasn’t really appeared.

And of course you can buy BD movies, etc, that may be single layer, double layer, or triple/quad layer. (Only very rarely will you find something that is 3 or 4 layers).

As far as I know, a drive must explicitly support BDXL in order to write AND read the 3 or 4-layer discs. But again, most discs top out at two layers.

There is more to be said on the topic, but those are the basics. I’d search for “LTH versus HTL”, for example; you’ll find that LTH discs are typically worse, but it’s good to know what that actually means. It might take a while to wade through all the information out there.

Great reply - thanks for your help Albert.
I didn’t realise that the terms related to the type of disks the player could use.

Mmhmm. :iagree: There are typically compatibility lists indicating supported disc types, as provided by the drive or player manufacturer; those terms are some of the ones you’ll see most often.

As we’re on this topic, is there any equivalent to DVD-RAM in the BluRay world - I use these for data storage on my computer?
I’ve just read your last post, and as I mentioned before, the Pioneer site contains absolutely no information on the BDR-208, acting as though it’s never existed.
Thanks again, I appreciate you spending the time to help a newbie.

Nope. The closest you get is the slow-as-molasses BD-RE. While rewritable BD media does have defect management, I don’t think it’s quite the same as DVD-RAM’s management. Depending on operating system & other software, you may be able to write to the discs in multiple sessions, and you might even be able to format them in a wider variety of file systems (like you can DVD-RAM), but I’m not aware of how well that would work.

I would try to get a BDR S08, no matter what comes after 08.
These “S” drives run really smooth and silent in comparison to their pendants with three digits. Their mechanical quality is far better.

My S08 beats it´s 208 brother with the same firmware regarding writing quality with some mediacodes - I didn´t want to believe it, but it´s true.

I´m not interested in BD-XL because there is no use for me in it…

Okay, I’ll add it to my list of possibles - thanks.

[QUOTE=katraine;2718255]I would try to get a BDR S08, no matter what comes after 08.
…[/QUOTE]

Actually, what you should get is one with the J suffix.

Alternatively, the BDR-S09J should be release soon if one can wait.