How to check the burn quality of your media for noobs like me?

Hi,

I just changed to Verbatim discs. I have a PLATINUM DVD+R disc with media code MBIPG101 R05 onto which I burned a dvd movie with Nero Burning ROM at 16x. And I now also have a - supposedly better - Verbatim DVD+R disc with media code MCC 004 to which I burned another movie at 16x.
I would like to compare the burn quality of the two discs with my Nero 9 application but I don’t have a clue where to start, despite all the guides on the net which are too technical for me. When I open “Nero DiscSpeed 5” and click the tab “Disc Quality”, the start button is greyed out. When I go to menu Extra and select the option “Advanced DAE quality test - Run test…” I get a separate window where I cannot click any options and also here the start button is greyed out. The only test that I managed to do is the benchmark tab where I can see 2 straight lines but I don’t have a clue what I can do with this info. I tried to open the manual but I got a pdf message telling me that I need to download the manuals. After downloading I get an exe that doesn’t seem to work.

Thanks all:bigsmile:

Your drive has to support disk scanning. What drive do you have? A good indicator of burn quality is the Transfer Rate Test which you should be able to run.

I have a PLEXTOR PX-750A burner in my pc

Transfer rate test seems to work but how do you interpret it? The attachment shows the PLATINUM disc with a movie that starts hanging after 1hour in my standalone dvd player.

with a movie that starts hanging after 1hour in my standalone dvd player.

Not good. What you see is the drive has a problem reading that part of the disc. The TRT scans don’t have to perfect, but once things drop below the 2X mark there will be problems.

MBI (Moser Bayer India) media seldom ranks high on peoples lists. Your burner is rather old, the media new. You probably don’t have the proper write strategy for it.

You could try updating to the latest firmware.

http://www.plextor.be/technicalservices/downloads/firmw_750A.asp?choice=DVD-Recorders

If you burn with ImgBurn (free) you can watch the upward progression of the burn speed. You should notice when it starts to falter, maybe burning at 8X will allow you to salvage the discs.

You might want to look into using Taiyo Yuden 8X discs. They are of the highest quality and tend to well in all burners old and new.

http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-silver-thermal-8x-dvd-r-media-100-pack.html

Well, you can see your problem. Normally you want a smooth arc from start to finish but that dip you see is where your disk hangs. Try burning at 8X or stop using those disks. Test your Verbatim and see what it looks like, but even with Verbatim I suggest burning at 8X.

So the PLATINUMs are made in India?? Is there a list on the internet where I can enter a media code to lookup where the disc is made?

Ok will do. Guess it can’t hurt anyway.

Before I do that, could you please be so kind to give a simple summary of the Taiyo Yuden FAQ that I have been reading yesterday. It’s very confusing.
What I understand is the following - and correct me if I’m wrong:

• TY discs are ONLY made in Japan so the package should indicate “made in Japan”
  • Lots of companies with brand names sell these discs (That’s, Verbatim, TDK, Fuji,…)
  • “That’s” is Taiyo Yuden’s own brand name in Japan
  • The above means that when I buy Fuji/TDK/Verbatim discs in Europe, I will not know it’s Taiyo Yuden until I check the media code with Nero and the batch code on the inner ring?
    TAIYOYUDEN 2x DVD-R (batch code: GBxxxxxx)
    TYG01 4x DVD-R (batch code: GDxxxxxx)
    TYG02 8x DVD-R (batch code: GGxxxxxx)
    TYG03 16x DVD-R (batch code: GHxxxxxx)
    TYG11 8x DVD-R DL (batch code: BGxxxxxx)
    YUDEN000 T01 4x DVD+R (batch code: TCxxxxxx or TSxxxxxx)
    YUDEN000 T02 8x DVD+R (batch code: TGxxxxxx)
    YUDEN000 T03 16x DVD+R (batch code: THxxxxxx)
  • For all other media it is sufficient to check the media code to know who manufactured the disc. For Taiyo Yuden, the batch code needs to be checked too since there are lots of fake ones.

By the way, the same movie was burned on a Verbatim disc at 16x and the attachment shows the TRT. Looks much better I guess? Does 7.43x average mean that it’s better to burn at 8x, even though the disc is rated 16x?

1. Just run the ID, in this case MBIPG101 R05, through Google. Or here:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia

1. It should help, FW updates usually are for increasing media compatability.

Before I do that, could you please be so kind to give a simple summary of the Taiyo Yuden FAQ that I have been reading yesterday. It’s very confusing.

I buy mine at SupermediaStore, Meritline or Rima… no fakes. I don’t chase local sales and read labels. Get on their mailing lists, they always offer deals. I recommended the TYG02’s (-R) because you have an older burner (note it’s not really a Plextor) and TY was a bit late to the 16X party, but they may work just as well.

The +R’s should also be fine.

http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-silver-thermal-8x-dvd-plus-r-media-100.html

The above means that when I buy Fuji/TDK/Verbatim discs in Europe, I will not know it’s Taiyo Yuden until I check the media code with Nero and the batch code on the inner ring?

Buying Retail in Europe makes the job a bit harder so I guess you’ll have to deal with it. But as long as you are buying those major brands, Made in Japan should suffice.

By the way, the same movie was burned on a Verbatim disc at 16x and the attachment shows the TRT. Looks much better I guess? Does 7.43x average mean that it’s better to burn at 8x, even though the disc is rated 16x?

The TRT looks fine. The 7.43x average read speed has nothing to do with burn speed. Some feel slower burning is best, it may be with older burners, but I wouldn’t go slower that 12X with those Verbs.

If you spend some time at CDFreaks you should be able to find quality scans for your burner and various media, this is scan city after all. :slight_smile:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f43/

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2223936]1. Just run the ID, in this case MBIPG101 R05, through Google. Or here:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia[/QUOTE]
Ok, for instance, this page shows all manufacturers that sell discs with media code MBIPG101R05. How come I can’t see my PLATINUM in the list? Second, earlier you mentioned it is Moser Bayer India media. Where do you get this info? Does this mean that the discs I have are made in India but they are sold under different manufacturers names accross the world such as Acme, EMTEC, Esperanza, Imation, etc?

Was my Taiyo Yuden summary above ok? No misunderstandings?

Just to make sure I understand the concept well, I looked up the YUDEN000T03 media code here which means if I would go to a store and I find either Plextor, Taiyo Yuden, TDK or Verbatim on the label and “made in Japan”, there is a good chance that it may indeed be original TY’s made in Japan?
And if I would order it on the internet such as here I will have the choice between MCC004 Verbatims which are in fact the genuine Verbatim discs from Mitsubishi-whatever in Taiwan OR the YUDEN000T03 which are in fact JapaneseTaiyo Yuden discs sold by Verbatim?

I need an aspirine:p Sorry for all the questions but 3 days ago I would have said that the brand name on the label tells you which company/country makes the discs and that sticking to the better known brands always gives you the best quality. Period. How little did I know!

With MBIL discs (including MBIL-made Verbies), I find the end result really is drive-dependant.

My Samsung and LG (Renesas chipset) drives do wonderfully with them - both regular MBIL MIDs and MBIL-made Verbies.

Just an opinion. :slight_smile:

But usually, I buy my media in B&M stores, and look for “Made in Japan” as mentioned, or if you’re leary of Indian-made Verbies, look for Made in Taiwan on those (In Europe there are also MIJ (Taiyo Yuden) Verbies, but IME they’re not terrific).

Ok, for instance, this page shows all manufacturers that sell discs with media code MBIPG101R05. [B]How come I can’t see my PLATINUM [/B]in the list? Second, earlier you mentioned it is Moser Bayer India media

C’mon now. You can’t expect a list put together by volunteers and users to be absolutely definitive, can you? And what difference does it make if Platinum is not on the list. What counts is MBIPG101R05. No one is going to fake that MID.

Try this app for a more thorough ID. They also update their database periodically.

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Here’s a typical printout:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:MBIPG101-R05-001]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [Not Available]
Manufacturer Name : [Moser Baer India Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [MBIPG101]
Media Type ID : [R05]
Product Revision : [001]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x , 6x-16x]

Happy now :slight_smile:

Just run the ID, in this case MBIPG101 R05, through Google.

The first entry that popped up is this:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/imation-16x-dvd-r-mbipg101-r05-208560/

It may further enlighten (but probably confuse). But you will see that sometimes a slower burn can make a difference and that most times a TRT scan will mirror a Quality scan.

Then there is the debate over which scanning drive to use and at what speed for an accurate scan. Lite-on, NEC (Optiarc … maybe, newer are Lite-on) and the original Benq.

Might be time to get a new drive anyway, they’re only about $25 these days. Your Teac based, Panasonic chipset Plex was not held in high esteem by the scanning crowd.

Here’s a scanning Lite-on.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Lite-On-iHAS422-DVD-Burner-Review/

You’ll notice in the reviews that most new burners these days can burn 8X Taiyo Yuden media at 12X (fast enough) with excellent results making them an excellent and inexpensive choice. They also seem to do a good job with the much maligned CMC Magnetics Corp of Taiwan discs.

Here’s one of my TYG02 8X burned at 12X with my Pioneer 115D and scanned in my BenQ.

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2224300]C’mon now. You can’t expect a list put together by volunteers and users to be absolutely definitive, can you?[/QUOTE]
My mistake, I forgot for a moment that the info is user uploaded and not necessarily complete. I just find videohelp.com and cdfreaks.com so damn good that in my excitement I sometimes forget to google for it.

Try this app for a more thorough ID. They also update their database periodically.
http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Thanks, looks like what I need exactly.

The first entry that popped up is this:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/imation-16x-dvd-r-mbipg101-r05-208560/

Great, bookmarked the links with the guides. CD-DVD speed user guide looks very interesting.

Here’s a scanning Lite-on.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Lite-On-iHAS422-DVD-Burner-Review/

Looks like a good drive indeed, even though I couldn’t find any media compatibility reviews on videohelp.com yet. The site says it’s manufactured in Sept 2008, is that not already outdated in computer terms? Just wondering, don’t shout my pants off:bigsmile:
And to be honest I only had experience with SATA once when I wanted to install a SATA Hard drive but I had to go back to the store cause I couldn’t get it to work. Even in the shop they had to give up and take the drive back. I have a P5LD2 mobo. The site also says “SATA supports “hot swap” (must be supported by your motherboard)”. Is this something to get scared about??

EDIT: read the last paragraph of this review:
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=24665&PageId=26
I don’t know anymore…

Looks like a good drive indeed, even though I couldn’t find any media compatibility reviews on videohelp.com yet. The site says it’s manufactured in Sept 2008, is that not already outdated in computer terms? Just wondering, don’t shout my pants off

A Lite-on will get you into the testing game.

I couldn’t find any media compatibility reviews on videohelp.com yet.

The CDFeaks review has [B]many[/B]. Did you bother to read the whole thing? :disagree:

Here’s your Verb MCC 004’s Made in India to boot.

[I]An excellent result, PI and PIF errors are low and jitter at 7.98% average is very nice.[/I]

Here’s some 8X Taiyo’s, YUDEN000 TO2’s, burned at [B]12X[/B]

[I]No surprises here, an excellent result from the 8x media manufactured by Taiyo Yuden.[/I]

Well Good Luck on your quest. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2224479]The CDFeaks review has [B]many[/B]. Did you bother to read the whole thing? :disagree:[/QUOTE]
No, for the moment there’s so much to read that I’m mainly bookmarking and gathering lots of info so that I can compare. I read the conclusion about the Lite-On with the positive versus negative and I thought “no need to read further for the time being, this is it!”.
My biggest concern now is SATA. Is that easy to install? I once had a SATA HDD that didn’t seem to work for some reason or another.
Thanks very much for the graphs. The burns couldn’t be better I guess! You have a iHAS422?

You have a iHAS422

Nope, don’t like Lite-ons. I have a Pioneer 115D, an Optiarc 7200 and a BenQ 1640.

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2224800]Nope, don’t like Lite-ons.[/QUOTE]
Ah, now that sounds like a convincing reason for me to go and buy the Lite-On iHAS422 you recommended:doh:

[QUOTE=Delta007bhd;2224931]Ah, now that sounds like a convincing reason for me to go and buy the Lite-On iHAS422 you recommended:doh:[/QUOTE]
I referred you to review, so that you may judge for your self… without any personal bias on my part.

Was this not the original topic:

Re: How to check the burn quality of your media for noobs like me?

This is what I responded to, [B]testing/checking burn quality[/B]. To most this means owning a [B]Lite-on[/B]… period.

There are legions of diehard Lite-on fans, just because I haven’t had good luck with them doesn’t really mean much in the grand scheme of things.

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2225280]
There are legions of diehard Lite-on fans, just because I haven’t had good luck with them doesn’t really mean much in the grand scheme of things.[/QUOTE]

OK no worries, MysticEyes, thanks for your help, I’ll give that Lite-On a serious thought