How to check a burn result?

Hello,

how can I check best the result of a burnt CD and/or DVD with respect to data integrity/durability?
Background of my question is that I normally collect data on my HD over several months (photos, downloads, …) and then write them to a CD/DVD just before I want to delete the stuff in order to get free space. Everytime when I press the button [delete] I have that bad feeling of possibly losing the files forever…
So I normally perform a “disc test” first. Whatever that should be. Is it (e.g. with PlexTools) - in case of a

• CD-R: a C1/C2 Test?
    or whatelse?

• DVD+/-R: a PI/PO Test with sum1 AND sum8?
    or a PI/PO Test with sum1?
    or a PI/PO Test with sum8?
    or one of the other options?

What does the “CD/DVD Test” in Plextools do?

Are there any other good Tools that do such tests more accurately?
How about Nero CD/DVD-Speed?

Please give me all your opinions…

how can I check best the result of a burnt CD and/or DVD with respect to data integrity/durability?
For durability, check the disc once a month and look if it deteriorates

If you write your important stuff to at least two different DVDs from different manufacturers, then you won’t get that bad feeling when your finger reached for the [Delete] button on your pc.

As for testing your DVDs, I suggest you at least perform a Read Transfer test (you wan’t a smooth graph) and a Sum1 scan (No PIF values over 4). Try performing a Read Transfer test on additional DVD drives if you have them - some discs can be problematic on some drives.

You can also perform Burst scans and Sum8 scans if you like, but personally I think that Read Transfer and Sum1 (PIF) are the most important tests.

If your data are that important, you may want to deal with this: http://www.dvdisaster.com/

This program looks quite useful, at least for data. In connection to burning everything twice on two different media one should obtain rather good confidence. Thanks for this hint.

Is there any general statement possible about what media would be more stable, CD-R or DVD+/-R?

Keep it on two hard drives also!

That’s just the opposite of what I intend to do… :disagree:
(and the reason why I bought the PX-716 with it’s Q-Check features!)

Is there any general statement possible about what media would be more stable, CD-R or DVD+/-R?

How should anyone know that? :slight_smile: CD-R has been around for much longer than DVD R

Well, because of the longer experience and the slower speed I’m inclined to say cds should be more reliable. If you use high-quality media, however, there shouldn’t be a difference. Use PI/PO scans afterwards.

I burn important data on a dvd, then make a copy of 10 % with dvdisaster and burn those files on the next one etc. So I should be able to have a working disc sooner or later.

Edit: A few months ago I had a look on some 500 cd-r’s, which I had burnt over the years. Well, about ten per cent had errors on them. All the erroneous discs were made by low-quality firms. All Verbatim, Philips and Taiyo Yuden were reliable.