How to change booktype in HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH20N - [FW A102]

Hi, I’m desperatly trying to change the BookType with my HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH20N - [FW A102], I read this should be a customized LG GGW-H20L made for Dell, and in fact this is inside a Dell Studio XPS Desktop 435MT, I already tried with ImgBurn, DVD identifier, DVDInfoPro, DVD Decrypter and so on, with neither of this programs it is possible to change the bitsetting, not even temporarily, LG commands do not work, instead it strangely seems to be compatible with Nu Tech commands, but it remains impossible to change the value because it always return messages like “impossible to change” and so on… This sound strange given the fact that usally LG drives nowadays support bitsetting.

I need to change the BS especially for DVD+R DL media, because it is otherwise impossible to use this kind of disc for the navigation unit in my car

Thanks a lot for Your help!!!

[QUOTE=SydneyBlue120d;2276390]Hi, I’m desperatly trying to change the BookType with my HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH20N - [FW A102], I read this should be a customized LG GGW-H20L made for Dell[/QUOTE]
No, it is a BH08NS20 clone with reduced write speed. Check the booktype settings with nero cdspeed, like shown in the BH08 review.
The Dell firmware might set the DL booktype automatically to DVD-ROM. Have you checked the booktype of a DL burned with this drive ?

[QUOTE=ala42;2277336]No, it is a BH08NS20 clone with reduced write speed. Check the booktype settings with nero cdspeed, like shown in the BH08 review.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the hint, but I already tried using nero cdspeed and clicking “bitsetting” in the program crash completely my Vista64 system (I must do an hard reboot), I tried two different build I downloaded from the nero site but I always end this way, with o without DVD inserted in the burner :frowning:

[QUOTE=ala42;2277336
The Dell firmware might set the DL booktype automatically to DVD-ROM. Have you checked the booktype of a DL burned with this drive ?
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I tried burning a Philips DL and a Verbatim DL and both were not flagged as DVD-ROM. The same happens using a Sony DVD+R single layer, that is the only disc my car accept at the moment (but using the single layer means removing many database POI).

Thanks for your help :rolleyes:

You could crossflash to a BH08N firmware, which voids your warranty. As long as cdspeed crashes your vista64 installation, I would not flash the drive at all.