How to change 3540a firmware for 4x CD-R burning?

Hello.
Minimal speed for CD-R (RW) burning on my NEC ND 3540A is 8x :frowning: But i need 4x for audio-cd write and backup my protected games-cd.
How i can change write strategy for CD-R media on my drive, or where i can find firmware with CD-R 4x burning posibilities?

Thanks.
This forum is my last hope…

ps sorry for bad english

You shouldn’t read PC-Welt or the equivalent in your language…

But i need 4x for audio-cd write and backup my protected games-cd.
Why do you use Princo media?

I dont use Princo media!

My media is Verbatim, Philips, Memorex, Imation.

If you don’t use Princo, then there is no reason why could could possibly have playback issues when using high write speeds like 32x-48x. Well, with Imation maybe, but with Verbatim, your drive might be faulty if it doesn’t work properly at such speeds

Hmm…
Media is media, but my question is “how to speed down cd-r burning for all cd-r media types to 4x?”
How to edit firmware for it, or where i cat get this firmware?

Thanks.

No one cared to do that, probably because it would be a waste of time and totally useless.

It useless for DVD-burning fans, maybe :slight_smile: But usefull for me and too many others peoples, who want make a good copy of protected games and cdaudio.

My question stay open… :frowning:

You will probably never see such a firmware. NEC probably didn’t include 4x writing on CD-R in their firmware and no firmware patcher will probably deal with this.

Today’s CD-R discs are optimized for higher writing speed anyway, so burning them slower doesn’t really make sense.

(Liggy)
Firmware patching for adding 4x speed is too hard operation?
I understand - maybe it useless and stupid idea, cause (4x quality) = (8x quality) :slight_smile:
But if this problem resolved by change 1-2 byte in firmware, when why not try?

But usefull for me and too many others peoples, who want make a good copy of protected games and cdaudio.
Seems like you do use Princo media, there is no other explanation for your weird belief that 4x speed would make your copies any better than 32x or 40x speed on good media

But if this problem resolved by change 1-2 byte in firmware, when why not try?
Because without a proper write strategy, or at least a power calibration routine that has actually been tested at 4x, you’d get nothing but coasters, probably worse than what you get when overspeeding Princo discs to 48x

@ muchas,

What the knowledgeable Forum Members who have previously responded to you in this posting are attempting to explain to you is if you use known good quality CD media there is no reason to burn your data at other than at the rated speed of the media. Know good quality CD media is optimized to burn data at its full rated speed. There is absolutely no advantage in burning data to known good quality CD media at 4 speed.

“Media is Media” is an untrue statement. There is known good quality CD media and then there is poor quality cheap inferior CD media.

If you use poor quality cheap inferior CD media then data written to this CD media quite possibly could contain errors. The solution to this problem is use known good quality CD media.

I hope my above explanation has help you to understand the solution to your problem is to use known good quality CD media.

Best Regards,
bjkg

Thanks to All!
Now i love 8x burning speed. :slight_smile:

Another convert :bigsmile: - bring on the next one…

Gee, how long will we have to fight this outdated idea that the slower the burn, the better the quality? :eek:

Though personally I don’t totally buy that “Know good quality CD media is optimized to burn data at its full rated speed” - from quality scans (mainly for jitter) it’s obvious they most often give better results at slightly lower speeds than the rated speed, even with TY discs.

For audio, I generally test for jitter at several speeds and choose the speed which gives the lowest jitter, not necessarily the lowest C1 errors. Most of the time it’s between 24X-32X with high-speed (52X rated) top-notch (TY) discs.

With so-so discs, I had to get down to 12X or even 8X but this is extreme (Optodisc, GSC… LOL :bigsmile: )

Gee, how long will we have to fight this outdated idea that the slower the burn, the better the quality?
Till the last princo user is gone. As you can see, some people can’t even admit that their experience with princo gave them that idea…

Because wasting man-days of effort figuring out which bytes to change is simply very unappealing. If you think this is simple give it a try sometime.

Brother Vlad

LOL :bigsmile: - yeah, let’s not forget Infosmart as well :wink:

Sadly this is not that simple, with so many (serious and sound, but OLD) documents on the web explaining that lower writing speeds create better “pits and lands” in the recording layer…

This is something I hate on the web: all these pages that are never updated and don’t even have a written date, still spreading what appears to be (and actually once WAS) sound information, even when this information has become obsolete. :rolleyes:

My son, the early adopter in the family, now that I have the experience of age to know better, bought a Sony burner (DVD -R at 8x max) and used it with several different media, and about 1/4 of the burns came out coasters, and the rest won’t play after 6-12 months. We have to reburn the entire collection.

He got an NEC 3540 and I took over the Sony but I burned 8x media at half speed. I did not get any coasters and those discs still play after 6 months. I eventually took the Sony burner back for a swap to an NEC 3540 which I now am using.

So in my recent experience of the last 12 months, burn speed did make a critical difference.

Please post a scan/media code of the media that burnt badly.
It is likely that poor quality media is the problem, rather than the burner.

Even the first few generations of liteon DVDRW drives (renowned for low quality burns) perform acceptably with good quality media.

Incidentally, Sony often rebadged early liteon DVDRW drives. Same drive, twice the price :wink:

You’re putting things out of perspective here. Of course the burning speed has an impact of the burning quality. But this varies from burner to burner and media to media. Not only out of the “absolute” quality of each, but more from the COMBINATION of both. It gets repeated and repeated here, ad nauseum. MEDIA FAQ of this site

I never said there was an absolute rule. I’m fighting a flawed rule that states tha in all cases slower is better, which is an obsolete and dogmatic rule that can be proven wrong with dozens of examples of BETTER burns at higher speeds.

Also this thread was about CDRs… :wink:

Alright, I think you ALL misunderstood what Muchas was trying to say. It’s not whether slow burning speeds produce better quality burns but rather that some protection schemes on CDs (game protections, i.e. StarForce, SecuRom, SafeDisc, etc.) REQUIRE low speed burns in order to burn a clone properly and circumvent the protection. In fact, trying to clone new games CDs will REQUIRE you to burn at low speeds in order to make a proper clone.

This is something that I’ve been wondering too, actually. Is there any way to modify the NEC 3540A as to allow burns at x2 or x4 for CD-Rs?