How to calculate file limit for DVD9?

vbimport

Sorry for the typos in the headline, but I can’t edit it. It should read:

How to calculate file limit for DVD9?

I’m trying to burn a dual-layer DVD but am having a hard time knowing the maximum size limit.

I’m told a DVD9 can hold 8500 MB. Nero 6 says my DVD files take up 8432 MB. But it also says anything over 8125 MB requires an overburn, and it won’t even do that with these files, because they’re too large.

How do I verify exactly how much data is on my disk, and do I need other software to burn the full 8500 MB?

Windows Explorer says the files are 8.23 GB.

I’m using Verbatim DVD+R DL discs, and it says they hold 8.5 GB.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi,[QUOTE=marknyc5;2552654]Sorry for the typos in the headline, but I can’t edit it. It should read:

How to calculate file limit for DVD9?[/quote]Fixed.

I’m told a DVD9 can hold 8500 MB. Nero 6 says my DVD files take up 8432 MB. But it also says anything over 8125 MB requires an overburn, and it won’t even do that with these files, because they’re too large.

The point is, the storage media industry is using decimal figures to calculate the capacity of a storage device (i.e. 1 kB=1000 B, 1 MByte=1000 kB etc.) Whereas Windows is using the binary system (1 kiB =1024 B, 1 MiB=1024 kiB etc.) and using the wrong units (kB, MB instead of kiB, MiB).

Michael

“File limit” is dictated by the Filesystem used.

Size limit or space limit is probably what you are after, besides FS overhead?!

Thanks. I’m told that an 8.5 GB disc actually holds only 7.95 GB. That’s about 8140 MB, right?

DVD9 is what you call DoubleLayer or DualLayer. That means single sided, but 2 layers.
8.5GB is GigiBytes, so 8140mb sounds like a real practice limit.
You always have to remind the file system overhead, UFD 1.x is just not UFD 2.x and so on.