How to Buy Verbatim DVDs?

vbimport

I saw the folks here seemed to like Verbatim DVDs so I began googleing to find where to buy them. I discovered they are complicated to buy.

It appears they are made in several places and depending on where they are made some are good, some not so much. If I am mail ordering them how do I tell which are the good ones?

You might want to make the answer to this question sticky.

My opinion only:

With single-layer DVD media, buying Verbatim is not as complicated as it once was.

Some time ago, Verbies made by Moser Baer India Limited were considered by many to be inconsistent.

These days (again IMO), things have changed a lot and evened out quality-wise. The Made in India DVD+R are actually my favourites :wink:

So if buying single-layer Verbies, I wouldn’t worry so much about the Country of Origin.

DL media is a bit different - the absolute best you can get are Verbies that are Made in Singapore. But recent reports seem to indicate that the Made in India ones aren’t so bad.

If you’re in the US, www.rima.com is the best place to buy online. If in the UK, then there’s www.svp.co.uk - however, I don’t think there is a way to tell the COO with mail-order purchases.

Others may have different opinions or more to add. :slight_smile:

Supermediastore, Meritline, also reliable in USA.

[quote=Arachne;2177250]
These days (again IMO), things have changed a lot and evened out quality-wise. The Made in India DVD+R are actually my favorites ;)[/quote]

Thanks very much for your reply. How does one tell if what you are buying is “made in India?”

[QUOTE=i_am_jim;2177324]Thanks very much for your reply. How does one tell if what you are buying is “made in India?”[/QUOTE]

Usually says on the packaging :slight_smile: - as I say, unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be any way to tell when buying online, though, until you receive the discs. Luckily, the MIT ones I’ve used are good, too. Only used one 50-pack of the Made in China (CMC) ones, so don’t have a huge amount of experience with those. But mine seem alright (they have a slightly higher error level when scanned, but still good enough for me).

But put it this way - I don’t tend to worry so much about the SL media origins when I purchase online. :wink:

You also wanna make sure you have a decent up to date writer. Which is probably 80-90%. Instead of living with something that claims to be able to write i suggest reading in the “drives” forums how different drives work. If almost everybody are satisfied with a widely used writer combined with Verbatim discs there’s a good chance you will be too :slight_smile:

I have an Optiarc DVD RW AD-7200S that’s a couple of months old

Very nice drive :cool: - should burn the Verbies nicely.

When buying cake boxes of the DvD+R DL’s this rule still works.

The cake boxes with a shallow lip on top of the cake box are the ones that are made in India. The ones with the deep lip on the top are the ones that are made in Singapore. The lip differences are quite noticeable.

Unfortunately, you can only use this rule as a hands on approach. Buying online however it’s not necessarily what you see is what you get.

:cool::cool: