How to burn onto DL Dual Layer Disc? Problems

I am using a Pioneer DVR-108 writer with the latest firmware version.
I have copied many DVD movies before successfully using DVD Shhrink, DVDFab and CloneDVD usually to split a movie onto 2 discs.
This is the first time I tried copying to a Dual Layer disc but with no success.

I used the latest CloneDVD and AnyDVD by Slysoft to rip Fantastic 4 onto the hard drive set at DVD+R DL quality, output method DVD files. The movie played fine on the hard drive. Then I tried to Nero Burning ROM 6.6.0.3 to burn the movie onto a Fujifilm DVD+R Double Layer disc at 2.4x speed (only speed available and speed written on the disc). The first half of the disc was burning fine but when Nero tried to burn onto the second layer of the disc it gave me an error messsage like “target failed”. I am wondering what went wrong?

Right now I am hoping that CloneDVD can burn it onto the DL disc (I am not confident my Nero can do it) but I wanted to make sure from you guys if CloneDVD can burn onto a dual layer disc using the “Write Existing Data” option? before I waste another expensive DL disc. The movie is still in the hard drive. Do I have to choose the output method “DVD writer”?

I also have DVDFab Gold 2.82 which also claims to be able to burn onto a a DL disc. Can it? What other programs can burn the movie onto a DL disc?

Dual Layer burning is a black art.

The only sure way to get it to work - assuming your drive and media can handle it - is to use DVD Decrypter.

Mode->ISO READ
Mode->ISO WRITE

That’s it!

So DVDFab Gold won’t work for DL burning?

I always thought that 1Click DVD Copy specialized in that.

Try upgrading to Nero 6.6.0.18
I have good experience with DVD Decrypter, has something to do with the layerbreak.
Like Gurm said it’s a tricky thing.

So should I rip it to the hard drive first before I burn to DL media?

yes, and make sure you do the ripping with dvd decrypter. this is what creates the copy with the info to keep the layer break intact.

http://www.imgburn.com/

I’ve successfully burned several movies using Verbatim DVD+R DL blanks (MKM 001) this past week. Clone DVD2 and AnyDVD is the only programs used. BenQ 1640 is the burner used. Using CDSpeed to test the discs shows the quality at 95%. The movies were almost 8 gigs each. And they played just fine in my cheap DVD standalone. No coasters yet.
Not sure why you want to use Nero when you have CloneDVD.
Yes, use DVD Writer as the output method.

so as not to confuse the original poster, i just want to mention that dvd decrypter and imgburn are essentially interchangeable. I’d recommend either one since they’re essentially the same program by the same author.

(imgburn is an updated version without the decryption capabilities…legal stuff)

i guess technically imgburn would be the way to go since it’s more recent…I still say dvd decrypter out of habit sometimes though.

I fail to understand why people use CloneDVD for dual-layer backups.

Your source… and your destination… are the same size. Why use a transcoder at all?

The problem here is the layer break. The layers are NOT the exact same size on the original versus the dual-layer. And many programs (coughNerocough1clickcough) have huge problems translating the layer break.

Just read the ISO, and write the ISO.

yeah, the use of dvd decrypter is essential for dual-layer copying in order to preserve the layer break. just use iso read/write modes as Gurm has instructed and be sure to write using the .mds file.

AZImmortal,
When do you think CloneDVD might update with tru-to-the-original layer break detection?

Only asking you because a guy with 2643 posts may have heard something from the [I]inside/I

Thanks,
Whisperer
Finally got the holiday spirit today (my b-day). Happy Holidays to all members.

Why would they add this functionality? There aren’t ANY commercial DVD’s (to my knowledge) that are bigger than a DVD+R/DL, so why use a transcoder? That’s just not what it’s for! I can’t see it being high on Slysoft’s to-do list.

You keep posting that (!) so I guess you feel pretty strongly about it. A 1:1 DL backup is not transcoding. I never compress. I use CloneDVD’s Split feature for now: DL in the near future when media prices drop to commodity levels and CloneDVD updates. On a data packed original, not having a true layer break can cause problems fitting the originals layers onto the backups layers. And I don’t want to use all the freeware. Just waiting for my favorite backup program add this feature which Olli, some time ago, indicated was on his “list”.

Best regards,
Whisperer

It’s not that I feel strongly about this particular thing, it’s that I’m not a huge fan of blindly trying to use one program for everything.

Gurm,
Ya, understandable. And possibly more fun and challenge. Me … I got so much going on in my life that I like getting comfortable with one interface (not talking about my girlfriend) so i can just backup my new movie purchases quickly and without alot of effort. Took me quite a while to backup my pre-existing collection, though, but thats all over now.

Like you said “Dual Layer burning is a black art” at this moment. But soon burner manufactures will all be on the same page as far as booktyping by default and quality DL media will drop in price to commodity levels. CloneDVD will have to evolve & upgrade it’s DL capabilities (SL bitsetting & true layer breaking) in order to survive against it’s competitors. Because in a year, nobody will be compressing and nobody will be splitting. Everone will be backing up dual layer. I, for one, would gladly pay an upgrade fee to cover Elby’s development expenses (CloneDVD3!).

Even with HD coming, I’ll bet we still have 5-7 years of DVD releases to look forward to before more than 50% of American households switch over to HD movie disks and player equipment. Even now (1996 to almost 2006) households are only at 80% DVD vs VHS. And Elby can make alot of money in those 5-7 years.

Best regards,
Whisperer

Ok, that I do understand.

Like you said “Dual Layer burning is a black art” at this moment. But soon burner manufactures will all be on the same page as far as booktyping by default and quality DL media will drop in price to commodity levels.

No, they really won’t. We’ve discussed it before, but Dual-layer burning will NEVER be viable. By the time they start to sort out the problems (mind you, dual-layer media has been available for almost two years already, dual-layer burners just as long), HD-DVD or Blu-Ray will be here. Many people feel that dual-layer media will NEVER be cheap enough for everyone to use it. Add to that the fact that MOST set-top players play +R or -R, but RELATIVELY FEW play +R/DL… and you can see my point.

[/quote]CloneDVD will have to evolve & upgrade it’s DL capabilities (SL bitsetting & true layer breaking) in order to survive against it’s competitors. [/quote]

Why? This is what I don’t get. WHY is this a MUST-HAVE feature? If you have a dual-layer drive, just read the image and write the image. I like CloneDVD as much as the next guy, but it’s a transcoder. The fact that it CAN split discs is immaterial. It was intended as a transcoder. Mode->ISO Read, Mode->ISO Write. Eventually, Nero will just handle it. Just hit “copy disc” and you’ll end up with the layer break in the right place.

Because in a year, nobody will be compressing and nobody will be splitting. Everone will be backing up dual layer.

Again, you’re way off the mark with this assessment. But regardless, it doesn’t matter.

Olli has said that eventually there will be enough demand that he’ll write some kind of program like DVD Decrypter. An image ripper/writer. That’s the program you’ll want to use, not CloneDVD.

Like I said, I’m not big on trying to use a program to do something it was never intended to do simply because you’re comfortable with it. Many people are comfortable with Microsoft Word, but that doesn’t mean that Microsoft should go out of their way to add non-word-processing functionality to it. Word doesn’t edit WAV files, and shouldn’t! I know that’s a silly example, but how about one closer to home? You can spend all day and night beating yourself up trying to get Word to do page layout on a large scale for publishing, or you can simply switch to a program that’s intended for that purpose - if you like MS’s interface, you can use Publisher. Or, Adobe makes several fine layout programs (Framemaker, Pagemaker, InDesign) that do what you need.

The fact that Word CAN be MADE to do page layout doesn’t mean it was intended for that purpose, or is even the best program for that purpose.

And before you go on about the cost - the program you want/need (DVD Decrypter) is FREE. Getting harder to download, this is true. But it’s FREE. And it’s EASY. There is no learning curve. Download it, run it, and hit the big CD button. Simple!

Gurm
You sound like your background may be marketing. Mine too. I can just see us at a board meeting, arguing across a conference table about marketing trends and upgrading or adding to the product line.

Since I believe some elements of both of our differing opinions are valid but that neither of our different opinions are really so vital that they must become true, we can afford to just sit back and see what unfolds over the next year.

Till then, my well spoken friend.

Whisperer

Fair enough. I do see your point about just wanting one program that backs up DVD’s. :wink:

But I’ll put money on Dual-layer never being really viable. And by really viable I mean “works in 99% of set-top boxes and burns properly with all burning programs and media is 50 cents each”. Just won’t happen, I’ll wager good cash.

[QUOTE=Gurm]I fail to understand why people use CloneDVD for dual-layer backups.

It seems I missed quite a bit while I was draining bottles over the holiday. First of all, I am very new to burning. I use CloneDVD because I know the program and it works. I just started doing DL burns last week. Again, I used CloneDVD and it worked. Burning my factory copies of Deadwood on a SL blank caused too much compression and bad discs. With Any DVD running in the background all is good.
So I fail to see what I am doing wrong. Enlighten me please. :doh: