How to burn MPEG file to DVD?

Hi All

I have been lurking here and in other forums for quite some time but I have come to the realisation that I won’t get anywhere if I don’t bite the bullet and ask some questions.

I have been puddling around trying different things without much success, so I decided to set myself one task.

Download a movie from the net and make a DVD (using free software) that will play on my stand alone player.

That decided I successfully downloaded a movie using utorrent and I now have an MPEG file that is reported as 873,723KB long. The file plays beautifully using media player.

I have tried to burn this file to DVD but I have to admit that I really have no idea where to go from here.

I’m hoping that there is someone here that will take me under their wing and hold my hand while guiding me through the rest of the process.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

AYS

Download a free video utility called Gspot and open the mpeg file with it. This will tell us if you have an mpeg2 file or mpeg1, the resolution of the video and what type of audio is being used.

To burn to dvd, you should start with mpeg2 with certain characteristics. This page shows the allowed resolutions, frame rate, and other specifications that must be in the video if you are to put this into a dvd.

Which country are you in? There are differences between PAL and NTSC standards, which are used in different countries. The US uses NTSC for example, while most of the rest of the world uses PAL.

Let’s assume your video is already dvd compliant. All you have to do is use an authoring program to put it into dvd format. There are free ones available online, like DVDFlick, DVDStyler and GUIforDVDAuthor. Read the help files, or look for guides at videohelp.com

If the video doesn’t meet the specs, then you will have to reencode and output to dvd. There are a great many options for this, including some free ones. DVDFlick can do this, as can a program called SUPER. Commercial products include TMPGenc Author 3, Nero Vision, Ulead Studio, etc. Many of the commercial products have a trial period where you can test the programs.

Some of the commercial programs will lead you step by step through the process, but these simplified programs don’t produce the very highest quality that can be obtained. Not a bad way to start, but you should know the limitations before you invest in anything.

Once you have produced your dvd, you can burn it to disk with any burning program capable of handling dvd-video. Nero and Imgburn are two popular choices.

Hope this gives you a start anyway.

Hi Kerry 56

Thanks for the rapid reply.

I am in Australia and our video system is PAL but I think my playback equipment will also handle NTSC not too sure about SECAM though.

I have downloaded gspot and opened the mpeg file in it.

the various boxes in gspot displayed:

FILE
Path: C:\My Documents\movie.mpg
Size: 853 MB (873,722 KB / 894,691,404 bytes)

CONTAINER
File Length Correct
AVI v1.0
Interleave: 1 vid frame (40 ms)
Audio frames: Aligned on interleaves

USER DATA / METADATA
[JUNK] odmldmlh
[USER] XviD0039

AUDIO
Codec 0x0055 MPEG-1 Layer 3
Info 48000Hz 80 kb/s tot , Joint Stereo
Audio stream 1 (other 3 greyed out)
Stat Codec installed

VIDEO
c,S
Codec XVID
Name XviD 1.1.0 Beta 2
Status Codec(s) are Installed
Most of the rest of this box is greyed out but MPG4 & PVOP are in green. There is also a button with a VGS logo on it which when pressed opens a window that means nothing to me.

t
Len 1:32:16
Frms 138,390
kbps 1024
Qf 0.139
Pics/s 25.000
Frames/s 25.000

d
pic w x 720 x 480
sar 1.500 (3:2)
par 1.000 (1:1)
dar 1.500 (3:2)
The rest of this box is greyed out

Proposed Codec solutions and tests
Gspot Vid 1
Aud 1
MS A/V 1
The rest of tis box is greyed out.

What does all of this mean!!!

Thanks again for your help

AYS

Hi Kerry56

After posting the previous details I decided to have a play around with gspot and discovered that I can play the both the video and the audio parts of the file with gspot. Just thought I’d let you know.

AYS

Your video is mpg4 encoded with the xvid codec. If you have a dvd player that can handle divx or xvid files directly, you might be able to burn this to a blank dvd as it is. Just burn it as a data file, not as a dvd-video file. Not all players can handle divx and xvid though.

If you want it in dvd format, you will have to reencode it. ConvertXtoDVD is a popular program around here for that process, but it isn’t a free one. As stated before, DVDFlick is a free program for this too.

In Gspot, under audio, there should have been a little box in green—either cbr or vbr. Those mean constant bitrate or variable bitrate encoding. MP3 audio with variable bitrate encoding can cause many problems when converting over to mpeg2/dvd format.
It tends to lose audio/video synchronization.

Go ahead and try one of the programs I’ve mentioned, and make sure to set everything to PAL standards. Report back if you run into a snag.

Dvd Flick is probably the most user friendly free program for this that I have ever tried out.