How to Burn FLAC to CD?

vbimport

Last year I used Nero Express 6 to burn a CD of music to take to our family holiday party. The music was a hit with the family, so last night I sat down to burn a new CD for this year’s party.

But, the trouble is that during the last year I switched from storing my music files as WAV files and now store them all as FLAC files. And when I dragged one of my FLAC files into Nero Express I got an error message: “The file format is not supported.”

I just tried to search these forums for a solution to this problem, but all I get for search results in my browser (Firefox 3.0.15) is a blank white screen. :confused:

Can Nero convert my FLAC files to WAV ?

I can’t remember which program I used to convert my WAV files to FLAC files, but I’m assuming if I could remember which one I used, I could use it to convert them back, right?

I already have Audacity, Burrn and EAC on this computer (but have never used Burrn, and have only used Audacity once so I’m not really comfortable with them yet).

The party is tomorrow afternoon, and I will be tied up all this afternoon and evening, so, of course I’m starting to panic.

I’d be grateful to anyone who could suggest the simplest way to get my FLAC files burned to a CD (and balance out the volume levels of the tracks in the process too, so the volume level doesn’t change drastically between tracks).

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. “Clueless”

Use Burrrn to burn :bigsmile: . It made all process of conversion of many formats to wav and burn the CD media.

http://www.burrrn.net/?page_id=4

Burrrn should do it with no problem.
If you think the quality is good enough then you’re done.
If you want to convert some of the FLAC back to .wav then I like Format Factory.
I think Audacity will also do the conversion .Let me give it a try & I will post back.
I would need to start my older computer to test Nero Express since the version I have doesn’t work on Vista.
If you think the quality is good

+2 for burrrn…for flac(s) to Audio CD burning…And yes, Audacity works on flacs->WAV

I tested both versions of Audacity I have 1.2.6 & 1.3.7 (Unicode).
Both work.
Just make sure the Preferences for export are set as you want them.

[QUOTE=zhadoom;2478578]Use Burrrn to burn :bigsmile: . It made all process of conversion of many formats to wav and burn the CD media.

http://www.burrrn.net/?page_id=4[/QUOTE]

Boy! You guys are really quick! Thanks for the rapid responses!

I tried to use Burrrn, but when I dragged the FLAC files onto the Burrn list, only the track number and the Length showed up. The Name field was blank.

I copied these songs from my CD collection using EAC. The Flac files it created showed the Artist and Song Title in the filename.

Any ideas on how to get that info to show up in Burrrn?

I

[QUOTE=cholla;2478588]I tested both versions of Audacity I have 1.2.6 & 1.3.7 (Unicode).
Both work.
Just make sure the Preferences for export are set as you want them.[/QUOTE]

Thanks cholla!

I’m importing my FLAC files into Audacity as I type this. It’s going to probably take over an hour because I’ve got 82 files.

Once I get them all into Audacity, I’m not sure I’ll know how to export them as WAV files. Will that option automatically show up on one of the menus once all the files have been imported?

UPDATE: Audacity crashed after importing just a handful of files :frowning: So it looks like I"m back to square one.

[QUOTE=cholla;2478579]If you want to convert some of the FLAC back to .wav then I like Format Factory.[/QUOTE]

Hi again, cholla!

I just looked at the Format Factory download page, and it doesn’t show FLAC files as a supported format:

http://format-factory.en.softonic.com/

Are you sure it will convert from FLAC to WAV?

Earlier this morning I searched for free FLAC to WAV conversion software and found this page with the headline: “Free Download WAV MP3 Converter Software”:

http://www.wav-mp3.com/freedown.htm

But after I downloaded and installed it and then tried to convert my FLAC files with it, it gave me a message saying that the free version only converts 60% of a file and if I want to convert the entire file they have a paid version.

BTW: In my first try at posting a reply to your message I got this weird error when I clicked the “Reply” button: “The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression”.

Well, it looks like I won’t get that CD burned this morning. I still have tomorrow morning to give it another try.

So, I think the best approach for me is to find a free program that will convert from FLAC to WAV and then use Nero to burn the CD. I think I can still remember how to use Nero from my experience burning a CD last year.

I’m going to download Format Factory while keeping my fingers crossed that it has a FLAC to WAV batch conversion option.

If it turns out it doesn’t, I’m open to suggestions.

Thanks for all the help, so far,

P.S. OOPS! I just looked at the Format Factory download page, and Windows 2000 is not on the list of required OSs. I’m still running Win2K on this old beast.

I suggest to use ImgBurn :slight_smile:

First of all, install the DirectShow filter for FLAC files. The follow the procedure:

[ol]
[li]Run ImgBurn
[/li][li]Select Write mode
[/li][li]Go to menu Tools --> Create CD Cue File
[/li][li]Select all the FLAC files you want burn on the CD
[/li][li]Sort files in the order you like
[/li][li]Press the OK button to save the CUE file on hard disk
[/li][li]Again in Write mode, open the CUE file you just created
[/li][li]Insert a CD on the drive
[/li][li]Select the burning speed (not more than 16x for audio CD is the best option)
[/li][li]Press the burn button
[/li][/ol]

That’s all :slight_smile:

I don’t know where you were downloading Format Factort from but on their site this page says:OS requirements: All 32 windows OS
http://www.formatoz.com/index.html
Just select Audio All to WAV.
I tried one file & the conversion was almost instant.
Audacity had no problem for me but I just tried one file.'Ill see if I can convert some wavs to FLAC & try some multiples in Audacity if Format Factory won’t work for you.
I’ll get back to you if I can see how Burrrn works with the names.
Like geno888 I have ImgBurn set up to do this & it’s one of my favorite burners.

There really is no need to convert flacs to wav…Besides Imgburn as suggested, any decent burning app will decode/decompress flac(s) to wav and burn a Standard Audio CD…It’s done, on-the-fly…[I]If[/I] you must, there are several apps/tools that can convert to WAV…foobar2k, MediaMonkey, LameXP, dBpoweramp, just to name a few…If the titles didn’t show up in burrrn, then perhaps you did not rip and tag properly…

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=EAC_and_FLAC

well for AUDIO CD’s i ‘used’ to like Burrrn but nowadays ‘solely for audio’ i prefer CDBurnerXP over Burrrn because while Burrrn loads up real quick and is light on resources etc etc, it’s main flaw is that it had trouble on me a while back burning some mp3 files where as CDBurnerXP did not so for that reason i dumped Burrrn and solely use CDBurnerXP (which is FREE) for AUDIO CD’s… but for DATA, ImgBurn (hands down!)

[QUOTE=cholla;2478725]I don’t know where you were downloading Format Factort from [/QUOTE]

Hi cholla! The site I found Format Factory on yesterday was:

http://format-factory.en.softonic.com/

Where it said:

"OS requirements for Format Factory:

but on their site this page says:OS requirements: All 32 windows OS
http://www.formatoz.com/index.html

Thanks, again! I’m downloading it as I type. But at my oh-so-slow free dial-up speed of 49.2 KBPS it’s going to take an hour and a half. That should still leave me a couple of hours to try to burn a CD before the party. Whew!

Just select Audio All to WAV.
I tried one file & the conversion was almost instant.
Audacity had no problem for me but I just tried one file.'Ill see if I can convert some wavs to FLAC & try some multiples in Audacity if Format Factory won’t work for you.
I’ll get back to you if I can see how Burrrn works with the names.
Like geno888 I have ImgBurn set up to do this & it’s one of my favorite burners.

When I ripped the files from CD to FLAC using EAC, the little window for the file name said something like “Filename will be ignored.” I didn’t know what that meant or what options I had, so I just ignored it. I wonder if that’s why the song title and artist info doesn’t show up in Burrrn.

And I wonder if I’ll have that same problem in Nero. If I can’t see the song titles and artists, it’s going to make it pretty difficult to put together a decent album. But at this stage of the game, with only a few hours to go until party time, I’ll just have to go with what ever gets the job done.

Since I’ve already downloaded the ImgBurn installer, I thought I’d try installing it while waiting for Format Factory to download. But I got stumped by the first screen of the installer where it asks if I want to “Enable SPTI access for All Users.” I Googled SPTI and learned that that might stands for “SCSI Pass Through Interface,” but I’m afraid that’s meaningless to me. Could you advise me on whether to check that box or not?

Thanks again, for all the help

[QUOTE=Clueless in Seattle;2478925]…I got stumped by the first screen of the installer where it asks if I want to “Enable SPTI access for All Users.”[/QUOTE]

Don’t worry about this. Simply select Yes :slight_smile:

I probably got on CDF(MYCE0 too late today to do you any good.
On the SPTI if it’s just you on your computer either way will work.
ImgBurn is one of my favorite softwares but there is some learning curve.So not what I would start learning when I was in a hurry & used to something else.
I feel for you being on dial-up.I was on it for a long time myself.Still you seem to be getting good speed for dial-up.Since you have dial-up you should install some kind of downloader software that will keep the download in memory in case you lose the connection.
On the EAC “Filename will be ignored.” I don’t know .Do your FLAC files have the song title when veiwed in Windows Explorer?
If not you may need to add them .
The FLAC files I converted from .wav had the song titles & they loaded with them in Burrrn.

"Filename will be ignored."
This is EAC just asking what directory your extracted files will be stored…You need to setup EAC Options-> Filename, and choose a ‘Naming Scheme’…i.e. [B]%A(%Y) %C%N - %T[/B] , for example…
Go back and set up EAC properly…A bit daunting at first, but once configured properly, it works great…Else give the user-friendlier(IMO) dBpoweramp, J-River jukebox to rip…There’s also CDex…
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=EAC_Lossless_Backup

I always set up a directory so I never got that warning.
I just use %N - %T
In addition to the link t0nee1 posted.
This is another good guide to setting up EAC:
http://xs.vc/eac/Setup/setup1.html

Glad you posted this one cholla!..I was looking for it, but I must have deleted it from my Bookmarks, err. HDD…there it is!.Thanks!..

I also have .pdf copies of some of it.Just in case it disappears from the web as some things do.