How to Burn DVD with Subtitles ON?

I’m trying to back-up two Swedish movies with English subtitles.

I’d like to have the the movie start with the subtitles turned on when I put the DVD into the player, instead of having to use the remote to turn them on each time.

Can that be done?

The original DVD has the subtitles turned on when I play the movie from the “Play” button on the main menu.

But when I backed up the movie, I used DVD Shrink’s “reauthor” mode so that I could skip the main menu, and also delete a documentary that takes up almost half the space on the disk.

The upside of that was that I got 100% quality in the back-up, instead of fifty something percent. But the downside is that the movie on the back-up now starts with the subtitles turned off. :confused:

The software I’ve got so far is:

DVD Shrink 3.2
Nero 7
DVD Decrypter

Any ideas on how I can make a back-up copy without any distracting main menu, but which will play with the subtitles automatically turned on?

My idea is to use my back-up as my “playing” copy, and to keep the original in a safe place as a master copy that I never play, but only use to create the playing copy.

The way I like to do this is to use RipIt4Me (also requires DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink).

Using the 1-click mode I choose the “Movie Only” mode, select the wanted default audio, select the wanted default subtitle (e.g. Danish in my case) and click the “Enabled” setting to the right of the subtitle selection.

Then after ripping and loading the ripped ontent in DVD Shrink, the movie can be compressed as required and/or the other unwanted audio tracks and subtitles can be removed.

Get PGCEdit and try this http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/pgcedit/third_party/2cool/subtitles/subtitles_on_default_pgcedit.htm puts the subtitle you want on by default.

Do this after you have finished your authoring.

Whew! That looks like a dauntingly complicated procedure!

I wonder how long it would take me to go through all 20 steps.

And I wonder if I could manage to go through all those steps without becoming hopelessly lost and confused along the way.

Well, I guess there’s one way to find out, and that’s to jump in and give it a try.

Thanks Jedi Master Yoda! I’ll let you know how I make out.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2215992]The way I like to do this is to use RipIt4Me (also requires DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink).[/QUOTE]

Your procedure looks a lot shorter and simpler than the one recommended by Jedi Master Yoda, so I think I’ll give RipIt4Me a try before trying the long and complex procedure recommended by Jedi Master Yoda.

I’ve downloaded RipIt4Me and already have DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink on my computer, so I think I’m ready take my first stab at it.

But it’s not clear to me where DVD Decrypter fits into the procedure. Does RipIt4Me automatically call DVD Decrypter as part of it’s ripping process?

Using the 1-click mode I choose the “Movie Only” mode, select the wanted default audio, select the wanted default subtitle (e.g. Danish in my case) and click the “Enabled” setting to the right of the subtitle selection.

Then after ripping and loading the ripped ontent in DVD Shrink, the movie can be compressed as required and/or the other unwanted audio tracks and subtitles can be removed.

You wrote “after ripping and loading the ripped content in DVD Shrink.”

Do I correctly understand you to mean “after ripping [with RipItForMe] and then loading the ripped content [into] DVD Shrink”?

The reason I’m asking is that your sentence could be taken to be telling me to rip the content using DVD Shrink.

Perhaps it will become clear to me once I crank up RipIt4Me and fool around with it a bit.

I’ll let you know how I make out.

[quote=Clueless in Seattle;2216742]Does RipIt4Me automatically call DVD Decrypter as part of it’s ripping process?[/QUOTE]Yes it does.

You might have to tell RipIt4Me where to find DVD Decypter and DVD Shrink the very first time you run RipIt4Me.

Do I correctly understand you to mean “after ripping [with RipItForMe] and then loading the ripped content [into] DVD Shrink”?
Yes. In 1-click mode, RipIt4Me will automatically rip the DVD with DVD Decrypter, and then after ripping has been done, automatically open the ripped content in DVD Shrink.

You will have to clean up the ripped files after running DVD Shrink - this is not done automatically.

Perhaps it will become clear to me once I crank up RipIt4Me and fool around with it a bit.
I find RipIt4Me to be mostly self-explanatory but your mileage may vary.

[QUOTE=Clueless in Seattle;2215987]I’m trying to back-up two Swedish movies with English subtitles.

I’d like to have the the movie start with the subtitles turned on when I put the DVD into the player, instead of having to use the remote to turn them on each time.

Can that be done?

The original DVD has the subtitles turned on when I play the movie from the “Play” button on the main menu.

But when I backed up the movie, [B]I used DVD Shrink’s “reauthor” mode[/B] so that I could skip the main menu, and also delete a documentary that takes up almost half the space on the disk…[/QUOTE]
You were right there. In Reauthor right click on the Title-> Set Default streams-> tick ‘Display the following sub picture’ and choose your subs. You can re-do it now.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2215992]The way I like to do this is to use RipIt4Me (also requires DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink).
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, DrageMester. The instructions you provided me worked like a charm!

But I’ve run into a snag.

In addition to burning a back-up that has the subtitles automatically turned on, I also want to remove an annoying fanfare and logo from the opening of the movie.

So in DVD Shrink I have to switch to re-authoring mode. And it seems like when I do that, it turns the subtitles back off again. :confused:

Do you have any ideas why that’s happening, and what I can do to correct it?

Didn’t you say you had already ripped/trimmed/reauthored in DVD Shrink??? You don’t need Ripit4me.

But when I backed up the movie, I used DVD Shrink’s “reauthor” mode so that I could skip the main menu, and also delete a documentary that takes up almost half the space on the disk…

In Reauthor mode, in the left window plane right click on the [B]Title[/B]-> Set Default streams-> tick ‘Display the following subpicture’ and choose your subs. Done… easy as pie.

For some reason I never thought to try right-clicking on the title in DVD Shrink reauthoring mode! :eek:

This makes certain things so much easier. Thanks for teaching me something new! :flower:

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2217192]Didn’t you say you had already ripped/trimmed/reauthored in DVD Shrink??? You don’t need Ripit4me.

In Reauthor mode, in the left window plane right click on the [B]Title[/B]-> Set Default streams-> tick ‘Display the following subpicture’ and choose your subs. Done… easy as pie.
[/QUOTE]

[B]Bingo![/B] :clap:

Many thanks, MysticEyes!

DVD Shrink is one cool little program! Too bad it’s no longer supported.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to merge the two parts of my reauthored DVD so I don’t get that annyoing little yellow symbol in the upper left corner of the screen when the player switches from the first file to the second file.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2217200]For some reason I never thought to try right-clicking on the title in DVD Shrink reauthoring mode! :eek:

This makes certain things so much easier. Thanks for teaching me something new! :flower:[/QUOTE]