How to burn decrypted .VOB files

vbimport

If I rip files with DVD Decrypter (although I do have ImgBurn, just haven’t used it yet) I end up with a .VOB file. I don’t know what to do next if I want to put a movie on a disc for my stand alone player (I’ve converted many .avi file with DVD Flick and then use Nero to burn DVD, no problem).

If I want to keep the entire movie intact with menus, extra features, etc, what would I do? I’ve come across the idea of making an .ISO file and then burning it with Img Burn. Would that do the trick?

Would I use DVD Decrypter to make an .ISO? Or if not, what other freeware program would be useful for this? When is making an .ISO preferable to having a .VOB file? Or maybe a better question is, what is the difference in functionality between an .ISO and a .VOB? And why do I need DVD Shrink? What’s getting shrink(ed)?

Thanks for your help.

I use DVD Decrypter inISO mode for 2 main reasons:

1.) If you want an EXACT copy of a DVD as you stated, ISO mode read & write is pretty much fullproof.

2.) If you copy a dual-layer DVD, ISO mode copies everything-including the layer swapover data. My 1st dual-layer copy was done in file mode and it played perfectly in my DVD player UNTIL it reached the mioddle of the movie. At that point it locked up. The only way to get the movie to continue was to skip to the next chapter. That 's just not right. Since then, I ONLY use ISO mode-unless you want to record just the movie to conserve space. If the movie itself is under 4.7 gigs, you can fit it onto a single-layer DVD, which can save you money.
In this case, load the source DVD in DVD Decrypter, select FILE mode, then select edit button @ top & select main movie files. If this is 4.7 gigs or less, you’re in business.
Also, if you want to save each chapter on a DVD as it’s own .VOB file in file mode-in case you want to burn only some chapters-go to tools, settings, IFO mode tab, click on file splitting on options on left side, and change it to “by chapter”, then click ok. If you have a 22-chapter movie, you’ll wind up with a folder with 22 corresponding .VOB files.
Hope this helps…

If you use Decrypter, you have all the files needed to burn wit ImgBurn.
Unless you want only movie, in that case use DVD Shrink, re author mode and rest is the same.
Put all the VOB files in a folder (folder name can be name of the movie or what ever).
Open ImgBurn and click on File/Folder to DVD. Next screen find your folder and burn. That simple.

Pardon my newbie-ness: How do I know if the disc I want to copy is dual layered? I notice sometimes that one side may be for wide-screen and the other side is a different aspect ratio. I’m assuming those are two single, discrete layers that happen to be on flip sides of the same disc, meaning I could actually burn them separately if I wanted on two different discs and have the entire movie intact.

Also, if there’s a bunch of extra features on an original disc, and I want to copy everything, including the extra features, does the fact that only one side seems to be burned indicate an ISO image will fit on a single layered disc?

jonnyD you are mistaking a “flip” disc for a dual layer disc.In general a factory pressed movie will be dual layer & approx 8GB.
I have DVDDecrypter but I haven’t ripped with it.I have CloneDVD2 so I use it.Doesn’t DVDDecryptercreate a folder with an AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS folder?
You can build an .ISO with ImgBurn & write the .ISO to disc with those files.
I does depend on the size of the folder if it’s compressed & 4.36GB or less you can burn it to a single layer disc.If it’s more you either need to compress it with a program like DVDShrink or split the layers & burn to a dual layer disc or two single layer discs.

[QUOTE=jonnyD;2039789]Pardon my newbie-ness:
Also, if there’s a bunch of extra features on an original disc, and I want to copy everything, including the extra features, does the fact that only one side seems to be burned indicate an ISO image will fit on a single layered disc?[/QUOTE]

If you want to do this you will have to get dual layer disc and dual layer burner to burn.
If you try to compress over 7GB to a single layer, bitrate, thus a picture will be lousy, specially using DVD Shrink to compress.
You will need something like DVD Rebiulder to do half decent job.
For double layer disc let ImgBurn find a proper layer brake for you. You do not need ISO file.
ISO ifile is just a copy of DVD in different format, the size will still be the same as original.

[quote=cholla;2039800]jonnyD you are mistaking a “flip” disc for a dual layer disc.In general a factory pressed movie will be dual layer & approx 8GB.
I have DVDDecrypter but I haven’t ripped with it.I have CloneDVD2 so I use it.Doesn’t DVDDecryptercreate a folder with an AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS folder?
You can build an .ISO with ImgBurn & write the .ISO to disc with those files.
I does depend on the size of the folder if it’s compressed & 4.36GB or less you can burn it to a single layer disc.If it’s more you either need to compress it with a program like DVDShrink or split the layers & burn to a dual layer disc or two single layer discs.[/quote]

Cholla & CDuncle bring up a good point.
back to your original question:

.vobs are shells that mpeg (2) files rest in. They are parts that make up a movie.
.isos are exact disc images. “Everything on a disc” can be saved as an iso.
If you have a commercially released movie DVD disc with a label on one side and all media on the other side-movie, menu, special features, etc…-it’s probably a dual-layer disc. If you view the disc in DVD decrypter, to the right side of the main screen, amongst other things, you’ll see “Number of Layers:1” or “Number of Layers:2”.
If it reads 2 layers and you want the entire disc copied-an exact copy-in its original quality, you’ll need a burner rated for dual-layer=DL and you’ll need DL DVD’s. If so, open the movie in DVD decrypter, click MODE, scroll to ISO, & click on READ to rip to the destination you choose (or use the one it chooses for you), then, WRITE to burn to blank media. If that’s all you want, then use DVD Decrypter for everything. No need to bounce around to multiple programs.

For a quick explanation of vobs, ifos, & bups, Check here:
http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t=VOB&i=54047,00.asp

Thanks mucho, ya’ll :clap: