How to burn .avi to DVD for best quality?

Hi,

I’ve never burnt .avi movies onto DVD before. What program can I use to convert the file? And I’ve read that the file increases in size during conversion. Whats the best size of .avi to start with so that it fits onto a DVD and has good quality? (I want to burn a movie that I can’t buy where I live as a gift and they’ll be watching it on a pretty large tv.) Thanks a lot!

tintalle

I would say a good paid program is ConvertXtoDVD 3. It’s a paid program but from my test of earlier versions it is a well done program. Only problem is that your source file must be error and corrupt file free otherwise it won’t finish the conversion.

I would have to agree with CC, regarding CX2DVD being “a good paid program”, and fast, I might add…That said, if quality is what you’re after, FAVC, or AVS2DVD, would be [B]my[/B] choice(s)… Try them all, see what “best” works for you…

[QUOTE=tintalle;2231180]Hi,

I’ve never burnt .avi movies onto DVD before. What program can I use to convert the file? And I’ve read that the file increases in size during conversion. Whats the best size of .avi to start with so that it fits onto a DVD and has good quality? (I want to burn a movie that I can’t buy where I live as a gift and they’ll be watching it on a pretty large tv.) Thanks a lot!

tintalle[/QUOTE]
Size of the source file has absolutely no bearing when converting to DVD. It’s about the [B]running time[/B].

The problem with AVI (usually Xvids) is that that they have taken a quality hit when made from the original source (hopefully a DVD). They were meant to be an end result, not an intermediate step back to DVD.

That said, if quality is what you’re after, FAVC, or AVS2DVD, would be my choice(s)

I would recommend neither. FAVC has a number of unresolved bugs, no IFOs being created at times (lowering the MAX bitrate to 7000 seems to help) and the latest version re-encodes DVD compliant audio, ie AC3 5.1 becomes 2 channel. Use 1.06 rather than the latest. By AVS2DVD if you meant AVI2DVD that is an older beta whose components haven’t been updated in awhile and is a quite twitchy. If you meant AVStoDVD that is a good choice for longer running time (low video bitrate conversions using HCenc 2 pass) AVIs.

To the OP, don’t expect miracles, especially from the standard 700MB AVI movies floating around. For a given running time the larger the original AVI the better the quality, but as far as final size on a DVD that is determined by the [B]running time[/B].

@MysticEyes,
Yes I meant AVStoDVD …And as far as FAVC goes, well it works good for me, hence why I recommend both…To each their own…@ OP, try them for [B]yourself[/B], and then decide, which works best for [B]you[/B]…No miracles, hopefully just pretty good/satisfactory results…

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AVStoDVD

Well what I use is Magix Movie Edit Pro. I got an older version on sale at Best Buy for like $20 and it makes basic menus, etc… nice for making .avi’s -> DVD

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2231745]@MysticEyes,
Yes I meant AVStoDVD …[B]And as far as FAVC goes, well it works good for me, hence why I recommend both…To each their own…[/B]…@ OP, try them for [B]yourself[/B], and then decide, which works best for [B]you[/B]…No miracles, hopefully just pretty good/satisfactory results…

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AVStoDVD[/QUOTE]
Sometimes it’s best to go by more than some one-of-a-kind personal experience when making recommendations to newer less knowledgeable people. The FAVC forums are littered with complaints about the 2 problems I mentioned and various workarounds that [I]sometimes[/I] help. It would also appear that the author is on hiatus as they have not been addressed.

[B]I’ve never burnt[/B] .avi movies onto DVD before.

MrC’s AVStoDVD on the other is constantly being tweaked and has a very active forum where he will personally respond, sometime within hours, with help, suggestions and fixes. His Help File is also very complete and well organized. Someone new to the game (and reluctant to pay for CXD) should consider this as their first choice due to it’s quality output, stable performance and excellent hand holding in case any questions arise.

FAVC doesn’t have a forum as far as I am aware. You’re talking about the thread over at doom9 perhaps MysticEyes?

I wouldn’t call it littered either. There are plenty of people in that thread saying how well things have worked for them using FAVC, including the last post there now. I’ve tested it myself and have had no problems to report with FAVC, though it is not my normal tool for conversions.

Another tool not mentioned yet in this thread is DVDFlick, though I’d use AVStoDVD ahead of it. So there are quite a few free choices for you to test tintalle.

MysticEyes, sometimes it’s best to let the “newer less knowledgeable people” decide what works best for them…Most of us, only recommend apps/tools/methods ,out of “personal” experience…AFAIC, I personally don’t care if you like or dislike FAVC…TO EACH THEIR OWN!

Hopefully, this does not go [I]too[/I] off topic…Since the title is,
"How to burn .avi to DVD for best quality?

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2231806]FAVC doesn’t have a forum as far as I am aware. [B]You’re talking about the thread over at doom9 [/B]perhaps MysticEyes?

I wouldn’t call it littered either. There are plenty of people in that thread saying how well things have worked for them using FAVC, including the last post there now. I’ve tested it myself and have had no problems to report with FAVC, [/QUOTE]
That the latest version will always re-encode compliant AC3 5.1 to 2 channel… is that not a problem? For many this is a major shortcoming. Many people love Nero “saying how well things have worked for them”, would you recommend it… I know for a fact you would not. I use Nero and like it. Would I recommend it? No, because I know by reading numerous posts, that for many it can be a very problematic app. But I will try to help those who choose to use it.

t0nee1

MysticEyes, sometimes it’s best to let the “newer less knowledgeable people” decide what works best for them…Most of us, only recommend apps/tools/methods ,out of “personal” experience…AFAIC, I personally don’t care if you like or dislike FAVC…TO EACH THEIR OWN!

You said that already, the issue isn’t my likes or dislikes, never once did I say I disliked it, and at least I mentioned 2 documented problems and possible solutions/workarounds. The issue is the wisdom of recommending programs with documented problems that haven’t been updated in almost a year.

Downgrading compliant 6 channel audio always, and not creating IFO’s sometimes, is not the route to:

How to burn .avi to DVD [B]for best quality?[/B]

Have a Good Day. :slight_smile:

TO EACH THEIR OWN! in case you missed it again…

Sweet mysty dreams…:wink:

Hi guys, I’ve got a quick question. Which program has a feature that maximizes the disk space while burning. I know Nero 8 has a ‘fit to disk’ feature but I’m actually looking for an alternative program. What I want is for the avi. to MPEG conversion and burning to fit as much of the 4.7GB as possible. I hate seeing an empty space at outer edge of the DVD. Thanks.

I hate seeing an empty space at outer edge of the DVD.
Sometimes burning to close to the edge can cause problems.
Take a look at AVStoDVD. Works quite well.

@sp18256
So you want to make the converted video unnecessarily larger by using a higher bitrate than is needed and burn to the edge of the blank dvd where you are much more likely to run into problems with the burn, especially if you are using mediocre media.

All you need is a program where you can manipulate the specifications of your conversion. You can do this with AVStoDVD if you want to make a finished dvd video.

Thanks for the prompt reply Dialysis 1 and Kerry56. I have been using ConvertXtoDVD and tried to tweak it to the best quality but there is still a space at the edge (about 8mm). Are you saying that burning a movie to the max disk space of the DVD does not necessary equate max quality? Anyway, can you give me a link where I can download AVStoDVD to experiment? Thanks again.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AVStoDVD

The more I use AVStoDVD, the more I’m liking it!..

Are you saying that burning a movie to the max disk space of the DVD does not necessary equate max quality?
Correct.

[QUOTE=Dialysis1;2233512]Correct.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=sp18256;2233479]Thanks for the prompt reply Dialysis 1 and Kerry56. I have been using ConvertXtoDVD and tried to tweak it to the best quality but there is still a space at the edge (about 8mm). Are you saying that burning a [B]movie to the max disk space of the DVD does not necessary equate max quality[/B]? Anyway, can you give me a link where I can download AVStoDVD to experiment? Thanks again.[/QUOTE]
To further amplify, burning (converting) an AVI movie (which in most cases means a quality compromised, very compressed Xvid source) is not the same as starting with the original source. When shrinking a movie from a DVD you do want to fill the disc for max quality. You want the highest video bitrate possible.

Starting with an AVI (Xvid) there is only so much that can be accomplished. Look at the bitrate the Xvid used, about 4X that will pretty much max the quality when converting to DVD.

Assuming a 700MB Xvid at about 2 hours with a bitrate of about 800kb/s (I’m just guessing), max DVD quality will result with a bitrate of about 3500kb/s. which will not use all the blank. Now a 1400MB Xvid of the same movie [B]will [/B]benefit from a higher disc filling DVD bitrate. The quality (and the bitrate) is higher with the 1400MB Xvid… you have more to work with.

I have downloaded the trial version of Convertxtodvd to test out to see if I like it or not. On the test AVI file, I selected the audio output to AC3 5.1. But when I play it back on my DVD player, I have no audio on my rear speakers. Een though my receiver is saying that the audio is Dolby Digital, and my center, front and sub seem to be working, nothing from the rears.

Is this possible due to using the trial version rather than the full version? Or is this common when converting AVI files to DVD format?

Or perhaps my source AVI file is the problem? It is supposed to be a DVD rip though.

Thoughts?

loot24
It is quite possible that the problem is in your avi file.

By the way, most dvd movies are copyright protected, and the rules of the forum don’t allow us to discuss or help with copyright protected materials that are downloaded without permission and /or payment.
Just a reminder of the rules here.