How to burn a multi track cd from one "full cd" mp3 file

vbimport

i have an mp3 that has the entire album on one mp3 and i need to burn it onto a cd but with the songs seperated so i can skip tracks. i use adaptec cd creator 4 and when i load the hour long mp3 onto the list of mp3s to be burn it shows up as one track that has a duration of the first track from the cd and where it shows the space left on the cd to be burned it shows the mp3 only took that short time on it but if i play the mp3 file it is 63 minutes long and it plays the whole 63 minutes. i also have another mp3 that is the full album and when i load it up to be burned it makes one track that is 54 minutes long(the full album lenth) and fills the space to the same mark. i need help and if some one could help me i would be very grateful.

Take a look at the freeware tool mp3directcut. You can also download a manual with screenshots from that site.
Also take a look at this CDFreaks thread which describes the process of cutting a long file into separate tracks when using Nero.

thank you

Cut MP3’s may not join up 100% - I’d favour adding splits in the writing software if supported, or using a cuesheet - and while there are free programs that can do WAV cuesheets, I don’t know of any that can do them for MP3.

I must second Matth’s recommendation against cutting up the MP3.

The very idea behind encoding the whole album/mix as One Big File (OBF) is to be able to decode and then burn it to a CD-R without those annoying pops/clicks between tracks that you always get when burning audio discs with separate MP3 tracks as the source. You will need a CUE sheet though. Three options:

1. check if CUE Sheet Haven has one for you
  2. write one using CUE Master
  3. write one with Notepad

The option #3 is pretty straightforward - decode your MP3 to 44.1kHz 16 bit PCM WAV (with EAC,dbPowerAmp or foobar2000). Load the WAV into a sound editor (like GoldWave, Audacity or EAC). Find exact spots where tracks change and note them down. Then write your CUE sheet in the following format:

PERFORMER "CD artist here"
TITLE "CD title here"
FILE "filename.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
        TITLE "track title here"
	INDEX 01 min:sec:frames
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
        TITLE "track title here"

if this is a comilation/mix:

PERFORMER "Various"
TITLE "CD title here"
FILE "filename.wav" WAVE
 TRACK 01 AUDIO
        TITLE "track title here"
        PERFORMER "track artist here"
 TRACK 02 AUDIO
         TITLE "track title here"
         PERFORMER "track artist here"

You can dispense with PERFORMER and TITLE entries altogether if you don’t need CD-Text. For more information about CUE sheets, see CUE Sheet Haven.

For MP3, the manual cuesheet format uses the line:
FILE “filename.MP3” MP3
in a valid standard cuesheet and a nonstandard variation for “Exact Audio Copy”
FILE “filename.MP3” WAVE
(EAC will use the fraunhofer codec to decode).

All other parameters are the same.
The “process WAVE” function in EAC can be used, IF you decompress the entire MP3 to WAV first, to examine the file for quiet points (visually on the display), then listent to them and lay down cuesheet track markers where you choose.

You can also apply track splits in most writing software, but even if you set 0 pregap, it may not be entirely gapless.