How to burn a bootable DVD-RW

vbimport

I am trying to burn a bootable DVD-RW so that I can add files to it later using Nero 9. I cannot find any explicit instructions in this software and have requested help from NERO 4 times with NO answer. What’s with that???

Each time I try to do this, I can make a bootable disc, but can never add files to it later. Either the disc says you cannot write to it, or the new addtional files overwrite the disc.

This is maddening!

HELP

Hi [B]tonymuffin[/B] and welcome to CD Freaks. :slight_smile:

Probably the simple answer is that for the operating system to write to a bootable drive it has to be a Windows format; say FAT16, FAT32, or NTFS. DVDs aren’t written to in the same way at all, so if you want a portable boot ‘disk’, perhaps try a USB flash drive that can be formatted as such.

Just curious. What is it exactly that you are trying to boot? An OS, some sort of backup DVD, a recovery disk, or a compilation of your own? Maybe you can try making an iso of your files and burn that to the dvd-rw, then when you want to add files to your compilation, do another iso, and burn that, and so on.

NERO has the ability to create either a bootable CD or DVD. I would like to do this with the DVD (not a USB drive).

As I stated, I can create the bootable DVD just fine. It just that when I want to add more files to it, it doesn’t work.

For stability I like Whappo’s idea, otherwise you would have to try to use packet-writing S/W for this…enter the notorious InCD :Z

Send the kids and dogs to the basement, there’s a crash coming.

If you burn the boot disc files without multi-session then the disc will be closed and you won’t be able to add files to it.

If you use multi-session when burning the boot disc files and then add files later the boot disc files are [B]not[/B] overwritten but by default only the second session (i.e. the additional files) will be read.

What you need to do is to burn the boot disc files using multi-session and leaving the disc open. Then you need to import the first session into the second session when adding the additional files to the disc.

[Note: you will need enough space on the disc for the boot disc files to be burnt twice (i.e. in both the first and second sessions) in addition to space for the additional files.]

The session (disk) must be closed before the disk is readable, does it not ?

[quote=jflan;2163522]For stability I like Whappo’s idea, otherwise you would have to try to use packet-writing S/W for this…enter the notorious InCD :Z

Send the kids and dogs to the basement, there’s a crash coming.[/quote]

um…huh?

[quote=philamber;2163525]If you burn the boot disc files without multi-session then the disc will be closed and you won’t be able to add files to it.

If you use multi-session when burning the boot disc files and then add files later the boot disc files are [B]not[/B] overwritten but by default only the second session (i.e. the additional files) will be read.

What you need to do is to burn the boot disc files using multi-session and leaving the disc open. Then you need to import the first session into the second session when adding the additional files to the disc.

[Note: you will need enough space on the disc for the boot disc files to be burnt twice (i.e. in both the first and second sessions) in addition to space for the additional files.][/quote]

So, my question here all along has been how to do this with NERO 9. When making a boot disk in NERO 9 there is no multi session option as there is in others. However, you do have the option to not close the disk which is what I selected.

With regards to your next part… I have no clue what you are referring to.

yes

[QUOTE=tonymuffin;2163550]um…huh?[/QUOTE]
Sorry, packet-writing software is generally not recommended. (for those who want reliable burns and a stable system)
I would use something like IMGburn and rebuild the ISO on the HD and then reburn as Whappo suggested.

Guys… I am simply asking how to do this using NERO 9. As everyone is always claiming that NERO is he cats meow…

With Nero 9 try InCD. Maybe it will work for you.
Keep any valuable data in a second location.
You may not see it in your install of Nero 9 if you didn’t select it when first installing.

[quote=jflan;2163583]With Nero 9 try InCD. Maybe it will work for you.
Keep any valuable data in a second location.
You may not see it in your install of Nero 9 if you didn’t select it when first installing.

You know… I guess I must be stupid here. I am asking how this is done in NERO 9 since everyone seems to be pushing NERO (which in my opinion is definetly not the end all). There are no instructions on the NERO site for what I am trying to do and I have posted 4 support tickets with NERO and have never heard back (sure give me a warm a fuzzy to wanna go out and upgrade the next time).

So…

It sounds to me like no one else has ever tried to do this?

[QUOTE=tonymuffin;2163562]Guys… I am simply asking how to do this using NERO 9. As everyone is always claiming that NERO is he cats meow…[/QUOTE]

Some observations/comments that might help:

I am a long-term Nero user but I wouldn’t go anywhere Nero 9 until users begin to indicate that it is stable. Unless, I am mistaken, Nero 9 continues to be fraught with problems.

Regarding your observation that “everyone is always claiming that Nero is the cats meow…”, Nero does have its supporters but it also has a significant number of unhappy users (and they do make a good case for their position).

Moving on - here is a link to the help file and a screeshot for Nero Burning ROM (V8) showing where to start.

Thanks Jeff… already been there… already seen that… it doesn’t answer the question.

My comments about NERO being the cat’s meow…

I have never found NERO to be anything close to as responsive or as intuitive as other burning software applications.

I suspect that your boot disc image is that of a closed disc. If so, when you burn the image file, the disc will be closed (i.e. you can’t add further files) even if you selected multi-session because the burnt image of a closed disc is itself closed irrespective of whether you selected multi-session or not.

Perhaps… however, I have tried this with both a .iso, ima and a floppy and the same thing happens.

Ok. Let’s go about this a different (and simpler) way.

Start nero and then switch to nero express (which has a simpler interface).

Select Bootable Data Disc.

Then add the files that you want on the disc other than the boot image.

Then add your floppy boot image or just use the one supplied with nero.

Then just burn the whole compilation and you’re done. :slight_smile:

[quote=philamber;2163632]Ok. Let’s go about this a different (and simpler) way.

Start nero and then switch to nero express (which has a simpler interface).

Select Bootable Data Disc.

Then add the files that you want on the disc other than the boot image.

Then add your floppy boot image or just use the one supplied with nero.

Then just burn the whole compilation and you’re done. :)[/quote]

There is no ‘bootable data disc’ option in Nero Express…