How to best use SmartBurn Utility?

vbimport

I know there is a SmartBurn Thread already, but …
I have read most of the pages in the SmartBurn thread and I have been trying to improve on the “Default” setting, i.e. SmartBurn Only, with my LH-20A1P KL05 burn results on Verbatim MCC004 (MIT-CMC) at 16X burn speed, without much luck.

I noticed the Lite-On website doesn’t yet offer any detailed guidelines on how to most effectively use this tool to improve burn quality with discs of various MIDs.

Can anyone offer a procedure to use with the SmartBurn tool AFTER “Clearing OPC” with Verbatim MCC004 media for 16X speed burns, starting from Burn #1 in order to achieve the most satisfying results after 4 or 5 burns? Or is SmartBurn Only already the best choice for this media?

I have read geno888’s CD-DVD Speed guide and MediumRare’s DVDScan guide more than once and they are very helpful in explaining to a novice how to use those two tools. :bow:

Could some experienced Lite-On guru write a short guide explaining the fundamental concepts of SmartBurn and a systematic procedure for the most effective way to use SmartBurn to improve Lite-On Drive burn quality on various grade media? :flower:

Use the test version of smartburn utility and enable HT, OHT and SB. OS (overspeed) is optional. With these settings I seem to get consistent results. With them all off I can get good results too but mostly on highest quality media. Turn on the other 3 settings for best results across most media. This is my personal opinion and has worked well for me with 8x and 16x Verbatim dvd+r and dvd-r.

dicer

Use the test version of smartburn utility and enable HT, OHT and SB.

That’s interesting.
My best Disc Quality results on Verbatim MCC004 are coming with SmartBurn Only and SmartBurn + Force H/T.
Whenever I enable OHT the PIEs increase 4-5 times and magnitudes 2-3 times.
So I figured the first few burns after an OPC clear are important, but I haven’t managed to use OHT effectively as yet. :sad:

I have had my 20A1H for about a week and I am in the same boat as you trying to figure out SB settings.

I mostly use Verbatim 8x DVD-R (and some 16x) and original TDK 16x DVD-R. I was surprised the writing was not better but I have found that after a few burns with just SB ON all else OFF it is getting consistently better. This does not make sense after I read the help file that comes with the test version of SB.

I had convinced myself that I should leave SB ON and put OHT ON since all my MIDs seem to already be in the LL06 firmware so I will probably do that.

I read through the Post your scans thread trying to make sense of it by looking everyones scans but I am not sure I learned anything.

Quote VideoRoy

I read through the Post your scans thread trying to make sense of it by looking everyones scans but I am not sure I learned anything.

Yea, same here. I’ve read some threads two or three times already and its not helping. :frowning:
I am beginning to think that if burning a MID already supported in the firmware & you already know it is good media, then after a CLEAR OPC, burn that media 4 or 5 times with SmartBurn + Force H/T only(no OHT). After those initial burns SmartBurn Only is enough–unless you spot a disc with a defect, then enable OHT to try to deal with that problem disc. But maybe I have misunderstood the entire utility. :confused: