How to be safe when using torrents?

vbimport

In this wild world of sh1t flying everywhere, I suppose it’s time that I got myself some protection as far as privacy goes when using uTorrent, i.e. making sure I can’t be lured into d/ling something traceable or being monitorable. I’ve got version 1.61 and use encryption, but what else should I do to stay safe?

Peer Guardian?

The only safe way to torrent is to not torrent. You run the risk of being caught red-handed. If you don’t want to get caught, don’t do it.

I’ve heard that smearing your keyboard with KY jelly can help ease the pain when you get buggered by a bad torrent…

In both cases, not helpful.

To rephrase the initial question, how best to ‘minimise the risk’?

Tell a friend that you need to check his computer then download stuff to his computer and copy it to a thumb drive for you.

Haha!

I’m not laying on someone else. Come on, this is a massive P2P community. Some straight answers please?

Says it all & probably the best advice you will get. :iagree:

[QUOTE=groovemeister;2114375]Haha!

I’m not laying on someone else. Come on, this is a massive P2P community. Some straight answers please?[/QUOTE]

This site is not intended for help with illegal downloading. If you were downloading legal (uncopyrighted) material, why would you be worried about traceability?

[QUOTE=groovemeister;2114195]In this wild world of sh1t flying everywhere, I suppose it’s time that I got myself some protection as far as privacy goes when using uTorrent, i.e. making sure I can’t be lured into d/ling something traceable or being monitorable. I’ve got version 1.61 and use encryption, but what else should I do to stay safe?

Peer Guardian?[/QUOTE]

how do you use peerguardian
i downloaded i did not understand it so i deleted it please help
or tell me what the best 1 is

peerguardian or another ip blocker is essential if you’re stupid enough to use public trackers, when you install PG2 all you need to do is set it to use the p2p blocklist and update it. It won’t fully protect you but it does filter out allot of nasty companies trying to log your ip.

The safest way to torrent is to only use private trackers, these trackers are hard to get into because they’re invite only but all you have to do is find a good quality invite sharing forum and the people there will give you all the invites you need or you can join open signup sites which are usually crap.
btw don’t be fooled by demonoids invite system, it’s not a private tracker and is just as risky as any other public tracker but you’ll find much better content there

[QUOTE=jhtalisman;2114402]This site is not intended for help with illegal downloading. If you were downloading legal (uncopyrighted) material, why would you be worried about traceability?[/QUOTE]I never said it was anything illegal.

As the forum title says: “Music Download, Peer to Peer (P2P) & Legal Issues”: I am simply after some advice to protect my privacy. I’m sure that every member of CD Freaks who uses and discusses P2P software uses it only for legal purposes, just like me.

There is a large grey area of what is legal, just as with backing up DVDs and software and this is what I am concerned with. There are also things that are just ‘good to know’.

FFS.

hey groovemeister how can you tell if peerguardian is working

PG2 is working if it’s blocking ip’s,
go to options and turn off the logging of allowed ip’s, after that when downloading a torrent you should get blocks from various companies and ip addresses showing up on the main screen

weres the option i do not see it

there’s 2 options pages, there should be a button to take you to the next page. I haven’t used pg2 for a long time so I can’t give you a better description

Private Trackers (demonoid for example)
Encryption of your software
download from trusted users (I grab all my torrents from VIP users over at demonoid)

Dig this. Recently my ISP suspended me for downloading copyrighted files. They sent me emails listing the files I supposedly downloaded. Guess what? I never downloaded those files. An ISP that has so little regard for their customers needs to go out of business. I am disabled and live alone and the files were mp3’s that I have never heard of. (Not to mention any names it was Excede/Wildblue.)

get a cheap seedbox

Ratio: 5.29 Up: 15.3 TB Dn: 2.89 TB no files are seeded from my home :wink:

[QUOTE=sylent1;2729805]Dig this. Recently my ISP suspended me for downloading copyrighted files. They sent me emails listing the files I supposedly downloaded. Guess what? I never downloaded those files. An ISP that has so little regard for their customers needs to go out of business. I am disabled and live alone and the files were mp3’s that I have never heard of. (Not to mention any names it was Excede/Wildblue.)[/QUOTE]

Since we have no info this is all speculation that your telling us?? Post a actual letter with private info blacked out and other can see what it really says. If true you have the right to fight back but if you didn’t secure your wifi then it also becomes your problem as well for not securing your wifi that lead to this problem.

[QUOTE=punan;2729818]get a cheap seedbox

Ratio: 5.29 Up: 15.3 TB Dn: 2.89 TB no files are seeded from my home :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seedbox[/QUOTE]

Use a proxy IP that will effective stop any tracking if that is what you want. I think torrent are bigger then they like to admit it really is…

[QUOTE=Devostator;2730611]zona download use![/QUOTE]

What???