How to backup your DVD to DVD±R

How to backup your DVD to DVD±R

There are many options and lots of different software now available to let you backup your own DVD collection. I'm sure there will be more to come. I have read lots of stuff and tried lots of software (not all!) and what I have set out below is what I have finally settled on to do my backups. I'm not saying its the best or quickest method (its definitely not the worst!), but it works for me. There may be quicker, easier and certainly harder ways of doing it all, but this is what I have settled on doing as it provides the full flexibility and playback compatibility & quality I need.  For the re-encoded ones, CCE gives the best quality output by far. Most people would have difficulties distinguishing it from the original on playback regardless of their playback equipment, I know I cant.

This guide, once its set up, is very easy to use in future conversions.  You rip the DVD to your HD (movie only if you wish), load into DVD2SVCD, tell it where you want it to be saved, hit go and a few hours later you have a VIDEO_TS folder full of VOB files, etc. or an ISO file ready to burn to DVDR.  It's that simple really.

The latest version of DVD2SVCD uses the D2SRoBa plugin which does a 1 pass VBR using the lowest Q value (for best quality) to fill the DVDR. The final pic quality is equal to a normal 4-5 pass VBR using CCE.  The 1 pass of course means the actual encoding is done in 1/2 or 1/3 the normal time.  It also now uses a freeware authoring tool, DVDAuthor, to do the final authoring.

The All-In-One or Few-Click back up software like DVD2One, DVD95Copy, DVD Shrink, Instant Copy 8, DVD X Copy Express, etc, etc. re-made DVD's don't come anywhere near the playback quality of what CCE can produce IMHO, particularly for long movies. So why settle for anything less if your backing up your prized DVD collection. 

As a minimum I backup my DVD's to 1 DVDR consisting of the Movie only with 1 audio track, no menu, no extras with the occasional subtitle. If there is room I will add extras in, but only if there is room on the DVDR without compromising the picture quality. If it needs to be re-encoded to fit, then I will do so.  Many will not agree with this and want original Menus, extras, all Audio & subs, etc. and all dine in under an hour.  This tutorial will not help those that want all that.

To backup your DVD's to 1 DVD±R, there are 3 basic types of DVD's I cover here, I call them:

[b]Type 1.[/b] DVD is a DVD5 (Single layer < 4.37gb)
[b]Type 2.[/b] DVD is a DVD9 (double layer > 4.37gb) but maim movie + audio is < 4.37gb
[b]Type 3.[/b] DVD is a DVD9 (double layer > 4.37gb) but maim movie + audio is > 4.37gb

With Type 1, you end up with a direct copy of your DVD exactly the same way the original was (a clone). That's the movie, any extras, all audio tracks and all sub-titles together with all original Menus.  However, it will now be multi-zoned, no macrovision and all encryption removed.

With Type 2, you end up with Main Movie plus at least 1 audio track. If there is room, additional Audio, Subtitles or Menus could be incorporated. No re-encoding needed and picture quality is identical to the original.

With Type 3, you end up with Main Movie plus 1 audio track (other Audio & Subtitles can be added) with the video re-encoding to a lower video bitrate, audio remains untouched. In theory there is a drop in picture quality, in reality I'm unable to see any substantial difference from the original.

Software needed to be installed:

1. DVDDecypter 3.2.2.0 or later (from http://www.dvddecrypter.com/ ) for Type 1,2&3
2. Nero 5.5.10.56 or Ver 6.3.x  (fully functional demo from http://www.ahead.de) for Type 2&3
or RecordNow MAX/DX 4.5 or 4.6 (http://estore.sonic.com/enu/dmd/recordnowmax.asp?lang=enu) for Type 2&3
3. DVD Shrink 3.1.7.6 or later (from http://www.dvdshrink.com ) For Type 2 only
4. DVD2SVCD 1.2.2 Build 1 or later (from http://www.dvd2svcd.org ) For Type 3 only
5. Cinema Craft Encoder 2.50 (recommended), 2.66 or 2.67 (demo versions from http://www.doom9.org/software.htm ) For Type 3 only

You will also need a Computer with:

* Windows 2000 or XP installed ( will [b]NOT[/b] work with Win95/98/ME as files will be greater than 4gig in size )
* Video screen set to 1024x768 (1280x1024 is recommended by Maestro).
* A Pentium III 550mhz or equivalent as a minimum (needed for CCE to run).
* At least 128meg memory, 256meg preferred.
* An internal DVD Rom player (any speed), can use your burner though.
* Hard drive NTFS formatted (will NOT work with FAT32 formatted HD's) with DMA turned on and at least 24 gb FREE space in one partition.
* A DVD-R or +R burner to produce the DVD and a few good quality DVDR blanks.
* A sound card and DVD software player to check the finished product.

Tips before we get started:

*	Turn OFF your Screen Saver, it will simply slow the conversion down substantially.
*	Do not run any other program in the background while DVD2SVCD is running, especially if you have a slower computer.
*	Turn the screens colour depth to 16bit colour or better.
*	Re-boot the computer BEFORE you start any re-encoding. This is an important step !

So you have downloaded the software, installed it and checked that you have the right stuff in your computer. Sounds good, then lets get stuck into it!

[b]Step 1: Checking the type of DVD.[/b]

1. Put the DVD into the DVD-ROM (or DVD Burner) and stop any auto bootup/playing (hold down Shift key).
2. Run Explorer and highlight the DVD, right click and go to properties.  It will indicate the DVD size in real Gigabytes.
3. If its less than 4.37 gig, then its a DVD-5 or single layer DVD.  I call this Type 1.
4. If greater than 4.37 gig, then its a DVD-9 or double layer DVD and what I call Type 2 or 3.
5. Now while still in Explorer, check the VIDEO_TS folder of the DVD and look for the largest VOB file group (the main Movie). This could be something like:

VTS_01_1 VOB   1,048,565,696
VTS_01_2 VOB   1,048,565,696
VTS_01_3 VOB   1,048,565,696
VTS_01_4 VOB   1,048,565,696
VTS_01_5 VOB   1,048,565,696
VTS_01_6 VOB     589,365,248

6. In this example the total movie VOB size is about 5.5 gig and if it contains many Audio tracks (and particularly DTS Audio) and subtitles, then selecting one audio track only with the video, it may be small enough to be less than 4.37gig or what I call Type 2.  
7. If its 6 gig or more, it will probably be a Type 3 and a re-encode needed.  These are typically 2hr or longer movies (but not always).

[b]Step 2: Backing up DVD-5, Single Layer or Type 1 DVD's[/b]

1. Put the DVD into your drive and run your DVD player (WinDVD or PowerDVD) to play the movie for a few seconds.  This Unlocks the drive to help DVDDecrypter actually rip the files to HD.  This is not normally needed for XP, but generally is for 2000.

2. Run DVDDecrypter and press the [b]R[/b] key.  This selects ISO Read mode.

3. For Source, point to the DVD if you have more than one DVD Reader/Writer installed.

4. A Destination and file name will be selected automatically, however, you can change this manually if you wish.

5. Hit the big [b]DVD > HD[/b] button and an ISO image of the DVD will be be written to you HD shortly. This can take from 5min to 30min depending on the DVD and hardware setup.

6. You now have an ISO file of the entire DVD complete with everything intact but it now is Multi-region, no Macrovision and no CSS encryption. Its file size will be a bit bigger than the original DVD.

7. Place a DVD±R blank into your burner, now press [b]W[/b]. This selects the ISO Write mode.

8. For Source, browse to your newly written ISO file. Your burner should be auto selected. Write Mode should be set to DVD and Write Speed to what ever the speed of your media is rated at or just leave at Max.

9. Hit the big [b]HD > DVD[/b] button and your first burn starts.  It takes approx. 56min for a 1x, 28min for 2x and 15min for 4x burns.

10. That's it, finished, nothing else to do other than play it on your DVD Player, sit back and enjoy.

[b]NOTE:[/b]  While this works for most DVD's, experience has shown that some DVD's when backed up this way will NOT play in your DVD Player properly, while the original does.  In this situation, I suggest you backup as above but in FILE mode, then press Ctrl-A to select ALL the files and rip to HD.  Run IFOEdit (www.ifoedit.com), click Open button and load in first IFO file.  Click the [b]Get VTS Sectors[/b] button, answer Yes to All IFO files and yes to any further windows. It automatically saves so just Exit the program. Add a blank AUDIO_TS folder to the saved folder and burn out as explained in Step 6 below.

[b]Step 3: Backing up DVD-9, Double Layer or Type 2 DVD's where Movie + Audio is under 4.37gig[/b]

1. Place your DVD into your DVDROM and close any autobooting that may occur.

2. Run DVDShrink an click the Open Disk button.  It normally selects the DVDROM holding the DVD automatically, if not browse to it. Click OK and it then does a quick scan of the DVD.

3. Click the Re-author button.  In the right hand window, under Main Movie, drag the Title 1 (or the largest in size) to the left hand window.

4. Click on the Compression Settings Tab. For Video, leave it on Automatic and it will indicate the % it need to reduce the movie to for it to fit to a DVDR.  Remember, Shrink is a Transcoder but we are using it here to just re-athor the main movie only with NO compression.

5. All Audio & Subpicture streams will be ticked.  Start Un-Ticking to remove the ones you DONT want. If any LPCM or DTS audio is present, these are large in size, so remove them and stay with the AC3.  You will notice the Video % increasing with everything you remove.  If it reaches 100% then this DVD can be re-authored with original quality Video (and Audio) un-compressed or encoded.

[img]http://upload.cdfreaks.com/CM/shrink-reauthor.gif[/img]

6. Click the Backup! button.  For Select Target device, you can select your DVD Burner (if you have Nero installed) and burn it directly.  Or you can select an ISO Image (and burn later with DVD Decrypter) or a Hard Disk Folder (and burn with your favourite burning software, see Step 6 below).  The choice is yours, however, I would suggest to a Hard Disk Folder, that way you can play the movie off your HD to quickly check that's all went well before burning.

[b]Step 4: Backing up DVD-9 Double Layer or Type 3 DVD's that require re-encoding.[/b]

1. Run your DVD player (WinDVD or PowerDVD) to play the movie (in full screen mode) for a short time and see if it is Full Screen (no black bars top and bottom of picture or widescreen (with black bars top & bottom of pic).  This also Unlocks the drive. Then exit the player.

2. Run DVDDecrypter and hit [b]I[/b] key.  This selects IFO mode.  You can also use SmartRipper if you prefer, its similar but option/settings are in different places, I'm sure you can work that one out.

3. Select for Source the DVDROM unit that holds the DVD.  It will automatically detect the Movie files and suggest a Destination folder name and HD where the ripped files will go.  Change if necessary.

4. In Tools / Settings / IFO Mode, set the File Splitting to 1 GB and tick "Chapter Information - DVDMaestro". Make sure under Options, all boxes are ticked. Leave all others at default, then click OK.

[img]http://upload.cdfreaks.com/CM/dd-settings.gif[/img]

5. Now click the large [b]DVD > HD[/b] button and ripping begins.  Soon, you will end up on your HD a *.IFO file, a *.CHP file and a heap of *.VOB files.  The size of the VOB files may be slightly different from those on the DVD, don't worry !

6. If the DVD is 2 sided or comes on 2 DVD's, then see NOTE:4 below on how to join and use these. We are now ready to re-encode your ripped files to fit onto a so-called 4.7gb DVDR (really 4.37gb).

7. When you installed DVD2SVCD, you should tick the D2SRoBa option and also DVD to DVD option when asked.  D2SRoBa is a plugin to DVD2SVCD that only requires a 1 VBR pass to achieve the quality of a normal 4-5 VBR pass.  Therefore it is substantially quicker and highly recommended. See Note 5: below on how to set up Batch processing of 2 or more movies/episodes at the one time.

8. Run DVD2SVCD. It may complain it cannot find CCE, so click the [b]Encoder[/b] tab and then browse your HD for CCE 2.50 (cctsp.exe) depending on where you installed it. This will happen 1st time it is run only. If you wish to use a later version of CCE such as 2.66 or 2.67 then you need to install EclCCE (from http://home.t-online.de/home/340044300675/ ), run it once and point to your cctspt.exe (the CCE executable). Then in the Encoder tab of DVD2SVCD, you now need to point to eclCCE.exe instead of cctspt.exe. CCE version 2.66 is substantially slower than 2.50 (about 15% slower) and no visible difference in picture quality.  DVD2SVCD is NOT compatible with CCE Lite at the moment.

9. Click the [b]Misc.[/b] tab, then select the Input File Type to be DVD and Output File type to be DVD (if it is not). Then click Default Output folder to select the Output folder where all the files will go, this will require approx. 18gb free HD space for a PAL movie and 22gb for an NTSC movie! Change DVD2SVD Level to Advanced, then shut down DVD2SVCD.

[img]http://upload.cdfreaks.com/CM/d2s-dvd-misc.gif[/img]

10. Run D2SRoBa and set CD Size to 4440 (the 2 defaults for DVDR or 4350 or 4480 are either to big or to small for me). Untick the Use Transcoder if Oversized box  (we can always use DVD Shrink if that does occur as we already have it installed).  Leave all the other settings at their default, then click GO.  It will now run and open DVD2SVCD.

[img]http://upload.cdfreaks.com/CM/d2sroba.gif[/img]

11. In the [b]Conversion[/b] tab, load in the IFO file you just ripped to your HD. It will indicate its length and select an Aspect ratio mode and mark the Audio track.  Tick the NTSC to PAL box if your player cannot playback NTSC movies correctly, but be aware this makes the movie about 4% shorter in length and runs 4% faster. Select for Aspect Ratio [b]4:3 (No borders, encoded as 4:3)[/b] if the movie is full screen or [b]Anamorphic (no borders added, encoded as 16:9)[/b] if it is a widescreen movie.  Click Auto Shutdown if you wish the PC to shutdown when encoding is finished.

[img]http://upload.cdfreaks.com/CM/d2s-dvd-conv.gif[/img]

12. Click on [b]Finalize[/b] Tab, there is nothing in here to change.

13. Click the [b]CDImage[/b] Tab and click on [b]DVD Author[/b].  Check the DVD Chapters and enter your initials or name as Data Preparer if you wish. If you wish to manually author your DVD (you may wish to add Menus, subs, etc.), then check [b]Don't Make Images[/b] and we will use Maestro to do all the Authoring as outlined in Step 5 below.

[img]http://upload.cdfreaks.com/CM/d2s-dvd-cdimage.gif[/img]

14. Click the [b]bbMPEG[/b] Tab, there is nothing to change here as we don't actually use this part of the program.

15. Click the [b]Pulldown[/b] Tab, there is nothing to change or setup in here.  This will run automatically if a 23.976fps NTSC framerate is found in the DVD and will convert it to a 29.97fps NTSC movie.

16. Click the [b]Audio[/b] Tab. Tick the "Do Not Convert Audio (use source audio)" option. Audio 1 Priority should have English or your favourite language selected.

[img]http://upload.cdfreaks.com/CM/d2s-dvd-audio.gif[/img]

17. Click the [b]Frameserver[/b] Tab and select Resize Method to be Lanczos Resize (should be the default).  Make sure Resize is set to DVD (720x480/576) ['cause that's what we are making folks!]. At the end of the MPEG2Dec line, click the small [...] button and from the ..\DVD2SVCD\AVISYNTH2.5 Plugins\MPEG2Dec folder, select MPEG2DEC[b]3[/b].dll if it is not already.  "Add Resample Audio" needs to be ticked if you have an AMD CPU, else CCE may crash.

[img]http://upload.cdfreaks.com/CM/d2s-dvd-frame.gif[/img]

18. Click the [b]Bitrate[/b] Tab and set Max to 9000, Min to 200 (increase this to the default setting of 2000 if you have a fussy Toshiba, Pioneer, etc. DVD Player) and Max Avg to 7200. Unselect Min Avg if its ticked. The [b]CD size[/b] will read 4440, or what ever you entered way back when D2VRoBa was first run. DVD2SVCD with the D2SRoBa plugin calculates the bitrate automatically for you to use the highest data variable bitrate (VBR) to fit onto your DVDR with your chosen audio streams.

[img]http://upload.cdfreaks.com/CM/d2s-avi-bitrate.gif[/img]

19. Click the [b]Encoder[/b]Tab and make sure Cinema Craft Encoder is selected (and not TMPGEnc or Procoder). D2SRoBa automatically selects One Pass VBR, so do NOT change this. I set Image Qual. Priority to 17 & Bias to 20. Just leave the Q.Factor at what ever it is as D2SRoBa will automatically determine the correct value.  Set the Time Code to 00:00:00:00.  Click on the Advanced Settings button and set the N/M to 4 and tick "Close all GOP's" if you need to edit your files at some later stage. For the MPEG2 Video Settings, select "ZigZag Scanning Order", "DVD Compliant" (untick if you use TMPGEnc DVD Author for any later authoring) & "Progressive Frames" but if your original DVD is Interlaced, select only "DVD Compliant" here. TV Episode DVD's are typically interlaced.

[img]http://upload.cdfreaks.com/CM/d2s-avi-encoder.gif[/img]

20. All is now setup and we are ready to begin the encoding.  If you intend to be doing a few movies, all the setup above needs to be done once and will remain set to the same settings until next time you run DVD2SVCD. (A good idea is to go to Misc tab and click Save Settings, so you can always load in the settings later on if needed.)  Next time you will only need to load the IFO in, set the default folder to save to, then GO.

21. Click the [b]Conversion[/b] Tab again and if all is ready, click the GO button. Click Start Conversion then confirm with OK.

22. DVD2SVCD then starts CCE encoding (windows open and close a few times) and finally D2SRoBa takes over and shuts the encoding and DVD2SVCD down.  D2SRoBa takes over the encoding at a predetermined Q value.  It then runs further short encodes to fine tune that value.  Normally does it 3 times.  Once the single pass encode is done, it re-starts DVD2SVCD which runs pulldown if source was 23.976fps and then it mux's the *.mpv and *.ac3 files together. Finally it authors them with DVDAuthor to make a VIDEO_TS folder with all our VOB, IFO & BUP files needed.

23. Go to sleep, work or school as this process may take a long time. On a P550 it can take about 12hrs! On an Athlon 1800, most movies convert in 3-4 hours, an AMD 2600 does them in about 2 hrs.

24. When finished you will have in the default folder you selected, about 20-30+ files and a couple of new folders. There is a AUDIO_TS folder (empty) and a VIDEO_TS folder full of your new created VOB files plus suporting IFO & BUP file.  These are ready to be burnt out with Nero or RecordNow MAX/DX, proceed to STEP 6:.  

25. As always a good precaution, its wise to check your new encoded movie on the PC before burning it.  While it is rare for problems to occur, nevertheless it takes only a few seconds to check.  Double click the VIDEO_TS.IFO file in your VIDEO_TS folder and it should launch your default DVD Player.  Check for correct aspect ratio, video/audio sync at start and end of movie and check for no interlacing distortion in high movement scenes.  If all is well, then all we need to do is burn it to DVDR, so jump to Step 6: DVDR Burning below.

26. If you chose to manually author the movie at Step 13 above, we need only 2 of these files, the Video file, either Encoded_Video_CCE_PAL.mpv if PAL or Encoded_Video_CCE_NTSC.mpv or Pulldown_Encoded_Video_NTSC.mpv (you MUST use this if it exists) if NTSC and the Audio file Extracted_Audio_1.ac3 (and an Extracted_Audio_2.ac3 file if you extracted 2 audio tracks.)  Proceed to Step 5.

[b]Step 5: Authoring with DVDMaestro[/b]

1. Run DVD Maestro. Click on File / Preferences / Display and tick "Workspace Windows are Maximized on Opening" and then OK. Then Tick on View and select Work Book mode (all others should be ticked also).  Now right click on the "Untitled1 Project" in the top left window and select Properties.  In here set to PAL or NTSC and if you want subtitles to always be on, set it here also. In Disk Image, it should be set to DVD-Video Only and in Replication, regions 1 to 6 should be ticked to make it region free.

[img]http://upload.cdfreaks.com/CM/maestro-setup.gif[/img]

[img]http://upload.cdfreaks.com/CM/maestro-project.gif[/img]

2. In the empty bottom right hand corner window, right click and select "Import Media Asset" (or just double click somewhere in the window) then browse to and select your *.MPV and *.AC3 files, then click OK. If it is an NTSC DVD your backing up, then there is probably a Pulldown_Encoded_Video_NTSC.mpv, then load this one ONLY. It will now check your files for DVD compliance, this can take a few minutes.

[img]http://upload.cdfreaks.com/CM/maestro-assets.gif[/img]

3. Double click the "Movie1" in the top left window and a new window will open. There are now provisions to drop in Video tracks, Audio tracks, Subtitles and Chapters.  I will call this the Timeline window.  The Top line is the movies timeline.  The next gray window below is where we add Chapters.  The next below Larger empty line is where the Video file is moved to, The next group down is for the Audio tracks (top one is for Track 1) and the bottom group is for Subtitles.

[img]http://upload.cdfreaks.com/CM/maestro-timeline.gif[/img]

4. Drag your video *.MPV file from the Asset window (lower right) to the video line in the Timeline window. Then drag the audio *.AC3 to Track 1 (the top one).  If you had 2 audio tracks, drag the second one to Track 2. If this is not an English track, click the "en" next to that line and select the appropriate language.

5. On the bottom line of the Timeline window, change the aspect ratio of the movie to "16:9 Letterbox" (for 90% of DVD's) or "4:3" (Maestros default) depending on what your movie is. Do NOT select the 16:9 Pan Scan or 16:9 LB/PS option.

6. To add these Chapters, right click the Chapter line in the Timeline window and select "Import Chapter List". Then browse to your *.CHP file produced by DVDDecrypter, DVD2SVCD  or ChapterXtractor and load it. A message box will pop up saying the number of chapters that were imported, this will be 1 less than in the *.chp file as 00:00:00:00 is already there. 

7. If your adding Subtitles, right click the top Subtitles line in the Timeline window and select "Import Subtitles File".  Browse to you *.SON file and load it. It will then report the number imported.

8. So now all the movie components have been added, we now need to tidy it up for proper playback. Highlight the Menu1 in top left hand window, right click and Delete it (Since we have Movie only, there is no need for a Menu but see Note 3: below on how to set up a Menu).  Highlight the word "Movies" and click on the "Connection" tab at the bottom of the Timeline window.  In the long box next to First Play, right click and select Movie1: Chapter 00:00:00:00.  This will auto start the movie in your DVD Player.  We are now ready to compile our movie to DVD structure.

[img]http://upload.cdfreaks.com/CM/maestro-firstplay.gif[/img]

9. Select Tools and click Compile (or Alt+C or click the small Barcode Icon at top). It will ask for a folder to compile to (needs 5gb of HD space). It will then request you save the Project, so do so as we may need it later anyway.  It then starts compiling and creating the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders, this can take 10min or so.

10. Progress of the compiling is seen in the bottom left window. When compiling finishes it should not report any errors. Click OK and close DVDMaestro.

11. Using Explorer, go to the folder where you compiled the DVD to.  There will be two new folders,  VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS.  The AUDIO_TS folder will be empty.  In the VIDEO_TS folder, delete the *.LAY file as this can cause problems with Nero and some DVD Players.  

12. Double click on either of the IFO files and the Movie should start playing with WinDVD or your installed player.  Check it out for lip sync at start and near end. If this is out slightly, load the project file (the one you saved) back into Maestro, right click on Audio track and select "Create Audio Sync Track", highlight the Video track and click Assign Audio Track.  Browse to the audio track and click OK.  When asked to replace the current track, click OK.  Re-compile the DVD as from point 9 above and re-check the sync. Also check that the Subtitles are in sync. If all is well, we are now ready to burn the DVD.

[b]Step 6:  DVDR Burning.[/b]

1. There are 3 DVD burning programs that I have found that consistently produce compatible DVDR's that DVD Players can recognise and play properly (assuming they play DVDR's in the first place and your using good quality media).  These are Nero 5.5.10.xx (xx=20, 43 or 56), RecordNow MAX 4.5 or DX 4.6 and DVD Decrypter.  The later burning ISO files only however.  Nero 6.0.xx has just so many varying problems, I do not recommend it for DVDR burning, it may be good for other burning jobs, just not DVDR's.  This may change in the future however.

[b]Burning with Nero[/b]

1. Run Nero and shut down the wizard. Select DVD-UDF/ISO option.  Leave set at all the defaults, enter a Volume Label in the Label tab.  If you intend to playback your DVDR's on an XBox, then in UDF Tab, click the option on for "Force DVD-Video Compatability Mode (Required for XBox)". 

[img]http://upload.cdfreaks.com/CM/nero-udf-iso.gif[/img]

2. Click the New button and browse to your new VIDEO_TS folder (Right Hand window) and drag it to the VIDEO_TS folder in the left hand window.  Drag the empty AUDIO_TS folder across also as this is need for playback compatability with some DVD Players.

[img]http://upload.cdfreaks.com/CM/nero-dvdbuild.gif[/img]

3. Click Burn icon, set speed to 2x, 4x, 6x or 8x (or leave on Max) depending on the media rating and burner capabilities, then click OK.  Sit back while the DVD is burnt to DVDR. Burning time for a full DVDR is 56min at 1x, 28min at 2x, 14 min at 4x and 8 min at 8x.

4.  The excitement builds! As it finishes burning, rush it to your DVD Player, get a stubby from the fridge, something to nibble and sit back and enjoy the movie!

[b]Burning with RecordNow DX[/b]

1. Run RND and close the Wizard. Select Data and then check that your DVD Burner is the default burner (large Red arrow).  Change if not.

2. Click the Add Files & Folders button and browse to you AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders, load them in.

3. Change the Volume Name to something meaningful, like LOTR_TWO_TOWERS.

4. Click on the Options button, and for DVD, change Recording Type to be "Track at Once (TAO), Closed" and File System Used to be "UDF- Up to 128 in Filename length, any char, plus 8+3 (Bridge)", then OK, phew !

5. Click the red Record button and sit back and wait for it all to finish.

6. The excitement builds! As it finishes burning, rush it to your DVD Player, get a stubby from the fridge, something to nibble and sit back and enjoy the movie!

[b]NOTE 1: Chapters using ChapterXtractor[/b]

1. Run ChapterXtractor and click the Open IFO button. Browse to the IFO file that you ripped to the HD with DVDDecrypter. You can also load in the IFO off the original DVD if you wish.
2. Click on the Format tab then for Presets, select DVDMaestro. The list should be similar to:

[b]$Spruce_IFrame_List

00:00:00:00
00:03:14:37
00:12:18:53
01:10:37:45
01:19:01:15[/b]

3. Click the Save Data button, change Type to Maestro *.chp, give a name and save. Exit the program.

[b]NOTE 2: Subtitle extraction with SubRip[/b]

1. Run SubRip and click File / Open VOB's (or click the small blue VOB icon).  Then click Open IFO and browse to the IFO file you ripped to HD.
2. Select the Language Stream you wish to extract and select "Only Show Sub pictures"  This allows us to preview them first before stripping them out. Click on Start.
3. The first Subtitle found will pop up and a small selection box, change the Preset to Maestro and hit OK.
4. If you have the right Subs track, hit the Pause button and then the blue VOB button to get to the start.  Hit the Reset button to set the time back to start 0:0:0:0, then change selection to "Save SubPictures as BMP".  It now ask for a folder to store these BMP files in.  There could be 1000 or more so always a good idea to create a SUB folder somewhere and save to there. Make sure Preset is on Maestro again and hit OK.  You will now see the progress in the bottom window as all the subs are saved.
5. When it finishes, click on the Red & Yellow Floppy Disk icon (Save As) in the bottom window, give a name, set Save as Type to DVDMaestro if it is not already, and save to the same folder you ripped the Subs BMP files to.
6. All done, exit SubRip ignoring any warnings it may give.

[b]Note 3: Creating Simple Menus in DVDMaestro[/b]

1. This can be quite complicated but I will outline very simply and briefly on how to add a menu if you have imported 2 movies into Maestro.

2. Make a 720x576 (for PAL) or 720x480 (for NTSC) image in your favourite graphics editor, such as Photoshop or PaintShop Pro. Increase the width to 1024 for both if you want to make a 16:9 menu. This can be anything that you like.  Make a couple of square white coloured buttons that you can use to select (later on) the actual movie that button will play. Add any text, pictures or backgrounds you like.  But add NOTHING within 10% of each side as on a TV these will disappear and you may not actually see your selection button, etc.  Save as JPG.

3. Import this JPG file into the Assets where you loaded the video & audio files.

4. Double click the Menu1 in top left window to open up a Menu1 timeline.  Make sure this window is Maximized else you wont see the options available.

5. Drag the JPG into the Menu1.  If want to add an audio track, then load it via Assets and drag it in also.  Maestro will also accept an animated menu *.m2v file if you have one "removed" from a DVD or what ever.

6. With your mouse and holding down the left button, draw a square around the 2 white buttons you made in your graphics image.  Do them in the order of button 1 then button 2. Highlight Button1 then right click and select Movie / Movie1 / Movie1: Chapter 00:00:00:00.  Do the same for the second button.

7. Go to Advanced Tab and click on Auto Align.  This sets up your remote controls Back, Forward, Up & Down buttons as well as the PC arrow keys if you watch them on your PC.  You can check them in the Buttons Tab.

8. If you loaded in any audio track for your menu, click on the Playback Control Tab and select Loop.  Then the audio track will play endless until you make a selection.

9. Now Click on Colour Selection and under Colour Selection, the bottom Brown button with an 8 on it, well click it and select the colour you want the button to be. Increase or decrease the number to increase or lower its colour intensity. Leave all the other buttons alone.

10. In the main Connections Tab, set Movie1's last Chapter End Action target to be Menu1 and the Movie2's last Chapter End Action target to be Menu1 also.  This sets up that when the movie finishes, it jumps back to the Menu so you can select the other movie.  That's it, all done.

[b]Note 4: Joining Double sided or 2 DVD's[/b]

1. Many DVD's come with 1/2 the movie on one side of a DVD and 1/2 on the other.  These are known as flipies or a DVD10 or DVD18 ( 2 single layer sides or 2 double layer sides ). They can also come as 2 dvd's. We want to join these 2 to enable re-encoding onto 1 DVDR.

2. Rip Side1 as above (Step 4) to a folder on your HD.  Rip Side2 to a different folder.

3. For example, the ripped files from Side1 can be like this:

VTS_01_1.VOB   1,048,565,696
VTS_01_2.VOB   1,048,565,696
VTS_01_3.VOB   1,048,565,696
VTS_01_4.VOB   1,048,565,696
VTS_01_5.VOB     285,160,744

and similar for Side2:

VTS_01_1.VOB   1,048,565,696
VTS_01_2.VOB   1,048,565,696
VTS_01_3.VOB   1,048,565,696
VTS_01_4.VOB     589,365,248

Now rename the files from Side2 to continue the VOB number of the files from Side1, like :

VTS_01_[b]6[/b].VOB   1,048,565,696
VTS_01_[b]7[/b].VOB   1,048,565,696
VTS_01_[b]8[/b].VOB   1,048,565,696
VTS_01_[b]9[/b].VOB     589,365,248

Then copy these to the folder where you have the Side1 files.  Copy the *.VOB files ONLY.  If you have more than 9 vob files total then you need to re-rip Side2, change DVD Decrypter IFO Mode File Splitting setting to None rather than 1 gig.  That way you get 1 large VOB file instead of 4 as in above example.  Just rename it to follow on from Side1 VOB files.

4. When you load the IFO file into DVD2SVCD it will indicate the movie length of Side1 only.  Don't worry, DVD2SVCD does not use that figure to calculate bitrate, etc.

5. Also, for Chapter importing, during authoring, you can import those for Side1 with no problems.  But for Side2 chapters, load into Notepad and manually add the total length in hours minutes and seconds of Side1 movie to EACH line of the Side2 chapters file. Save out.  You can also use ChapterXtractor to extract them for Side2 IFO file but apply an offset equal to Side1 movie length in Milli Seconds ( 1hr = 3600000 ms ).

[b]Note 5: Batch Mode Encoding[/b]

1. If you have more than 1 movie to encode, such as individual episodes on a TV Series DVD, then it would be handy to convert more than 1 at a time.

2. Run DVD2SVCD, load in the IFO file, set Default Output Folder and setup rest as above.  Click the GO button, Start Conversion and then OK.  In a few seconds time when DVD2AVI starts running (see Icon in bottom Task bar), shut down DVD2SVCD and then DVD2AVI in the task bar.  Do the same for the second movie/episode setting to a new Default Output Folder.  Repeat until all you want encoded has been prepared this way. I use MOVIE1, MOVIE2, etc. as my Default Output folders.  

3 Now go to the folder where you installed DVD2SVCD and you will see a file called [b]dvd2svcd batch.bat[/b].  Open this in Notepad and add the following lines so it will look similar to:

@ECHO OFF 
REM DVD2SVCD Batch Control
"E:\DVD2SVCD\Tylo\D2SRoBa.exe" -d2s:"H:\MOVIE1\dvd2svcd project file.d2s" -run -exit
"E:\DVD2SVCD\Tylo\D2SRoBa.exe" -d2s:"H:\MOVIE2\dvd2svcd project file.d2s" -run -exit
"E:\DVD2SVCD\Tylo\D2SRoBa.exe" -d2s:"H:\MOVIE3\dvd2svcd project file.d2s" -run -shutdown

where E:\DVD2SVCD\Tylo\ is the folder where D2SRoBa was installed and H:\MOVIE1\ is the Default Output Folder for each movie/episode.  These will probably be different on every computer so change then for your setup. Now Save the file, create a shortcut on your desktop to this file and when you are ready, run it. D2SRoBa and DVD2SVCD will now start processing the 3 movies set up with the info saved in Movie1, Movie2 and Movie3 folders. If you wish to shut the computer down at the end of encoding, change the [b]-exit[/b] to [b]-shutdown[/b] in the last line (as above). I have successfully done up to 16 episodes this way without a problem.  Just remember though, you need a LOT of HD space the more you encode in the one batch.

ChickenMan (c) 2004 - Updated May 2004

PAL to NTSC

1. A few extra step need to be done in addition to the above if you wish to convert your PAL movies to NTSC, these are:

2. In the Frameserver Tab, tick the "Edit as part of video encoding" option when setting DVD2SVCD up.

3. Once DVD2SVCD is set up, run it.  Just before the Editing step begins, an Edit Avisynth Script box will pop-up.

4. Edit the script to include

lanczosresize(720,[b]480[/b]) <-- change the 576 to 480
assumefps(23.976)  <-- Include this line here

5. Click Save, then Okay and encoding will continue as usual.

6. You can let it complete its job or when encoding is finished, shut down DVDAuthor and then DVD2SVCD if you happen to be around at the time.

7. Copy Pulldown.exe found in your ../DVD2SVCD/Pulldown/ folder to your Default Output folder that contains all your encoded files.

8. Run a DOS box and move to your Output folder, then run pulldown using the following:

[b]pulldown Encoded_video_CCE_PAL.mpv Encoded_video_CCE_NTSC.mpv[/b]

9. Rename (or delete) the original Encoded_video_CCE_PAL.mpv file to anything and rename the new Encoded_video_CCE_NTSC.mpv file to Encoded_video_CCE_PAL.mpv, exactly as per the original file name.

10. Run BeSweetGUI to time-stretch the audio file Encoded_audio_1.ac3 or Extracted_audio_1.ac3 to an AC3 of the same bitrate you selected in DVD2SVCD. In the main BeSweetGUI page tick the Preset box and select PAL --> NTSC (25.000 to 23.976), load in the audio file, set output to AC3 and then click the AC3 to AC3  button.

11. Rename (or delete) the original audio AC3 file to anything. Then rename our new time-stretched AC3 file to Encoded_audio_1.ac3 (only if it originally existed) or Extracted_audio_1.ac3.

12. Run DVD2SVCD, in the Misc Tab select Recover.  Browse to the Default Output folder and load in the "dvd2svcd project file.d2s" file, select Authoring stage and click Continue.  Your new NTSC files will begin to be authored.  

13. You can of course just manually Author the new *.mpv and *.ac3 files in TMPGEnc DVD Author, DVDLab, Maestro, etc. as per usual.

14. Naturally test the final VOB files by playing them on the PC.  If all is okay and audio/video sync is correct, then burn them as per above.

15. Also remember, the next time you run DVD2SVCD, the "Edit as part of video encoding" option will still be ticked so unless your doing more PAL to NTSC conversions, you will normally need to un-tick it.  I have been caught with this many times :D

ChickenMan  (c)2004