How to backup Neverwinter Nights?

Which of the 3 NWN CDs are protected by a copy-protection scheme? (I don’t suppose all 3 are copy-protected? I’m assuming that the Installation discs 1 & 2 can be copied without any special settings or even with just plain Nero and the Play Disc would be the one that’s copy-protected – but is this correct?)

Also, I’ve read from other threads that NWN uses v4.8+ Securom, but I’m not sure if there’s some way of making as close to 1:1 copy using a Plexwriter 16x10x40 (ok, this is a no-sheep burner so I might need to use AWS – is it needed; and even then it might only run on the burner with Hide CDR Media).

Well, unless something has changed, the Securom was removed from the game with an update, because some people were having difficulty playing off of their own originals. So in other words, no more protection.

Neverwinter Nights has the SecuRom v4.76.00.0051 protection when there is no update installed. You can easily copy the game with a reliable SubChannel Data reader such as the Plextor drives. I don’t know if all three discs are protected but the only disc you need to back-up is disc 3 (since that is the play disc).

For Neverwinter Nights I use the SecuRom Profile. You do not need AWS or anything like that since AWS is only needed when dealing with the SafeDisc 2 protection (weak sectors). The only thing I’m not 100% sure about is if your Plextor PX-W1610TA drive can read the SubChannel Data. According to the CloneCD hardware list your drive cannot read it. You’ll have to try and see if it works… Good luck!

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
I don’t know if all three discs are protected but the only disc you need to back-up is disc 3 (since that is the play disc).

Only disc 3 (play disc) is copy protected. Discs 1 & 2 can be copied simply with nero’s cd-copy function or with other software of your choice.

Thanks for the info.

Regarding the subchannel data reading capability of the Plextor 1610, it DOES read subchannel data. I’ve backed up my Diablo 2, Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction and Warcraft 3 CDs (only need Hide CDR Media to be able to play properly).

I NWN uses the same protection as WC3, I’d think my Plexy should be able to handle NWN without problems… And anyway, someone said the latest NWN patch removed the protection (is that NWN v1.27 patch that’s available from the web site)?

Originally posted by dta
I NWN uses the same protection as WC3, I’d think my Plexy should be able to handle NWN without problems… And anyway, someone said the latest NWN patch removed the protection (is that NWN v1.27 patch that’s available from the web site)?
Yes Warcraft 3 and NWN (orginally, so without any patch installed) have the same protection. For more information on NWN and the latest patches read this thread.