How to backup harddrive with nero

Hello everyone,
This may sound like a dumb question to some people but I have searched the forums for help but to no avail. I am trying to backup my hard drive on dvd-r media using nero express and they assure me I can do it. Alas every time i’ve tried I get an error the following is a copy of the Nero log I am using Nero ver.5.5.10.9 and I have a Toshiba SD-R5002 burner any help would be greatly appreciated. Just remember to keep your explanation simple BECAUSE I AM A NEWBIE.
Thank you in advance
Dusty or Dennis

xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx

Windows XP 5.1
IA32
WinAspi: -
ahead WinASPI: File ‘C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero\Wnaspi32.dll’: Ver=2.0.1.50, size=131072 bytes, created 6/25/2002 11:34:54 AM
Nero Version: 5.5.10.9 (Nero Express)
Recorder: <TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R5002>Version: 1033 - HA 1 TA 0 - 5.5.10.9
Adapter driver: <atapi> HA 1
Drive buffer : 2048kB
Bus Type : default (0) -> ATAPI, detected: ATAPI
CD-ROM: <ATAPI DVD-ROM 16X> Version: 422R - HA 1 TA 1 - 5.5.10.9
Adapter driver: <atapi> HA 1
Bus Type : default (0) -> ATAPI, detected: ATAPI

=== Scsi-Device-Map ===
DiskPeripheral : Maxtor 6E030L1 atapi Port 0 ID 0 DMA: On
CdRomPeripheral : TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R5002 atapi Port 1 ID 0 DMA: On
CdRomPeripheral : ATAPI DVD-ROM 16X atapi Port 1 ID 1 DMA: On

AutoRun : 1
Excluded drive IDs:
CmdQueuing : 1
CmdNotification: 2
WriteBufferSize: 83886080 (0) Byte
ShowDrvBufStat : 0
EraseSpeed : 0
BUFE : 0
Physical memory : 1023MB (1048096kB)
Free physical memory: 736MB (754272kB)
Memory in use : 28 %
Uncached PFiles: 0x0
Use Static Write Speed Table: 0
Use Inquiry : 1
Global Bus Type: default (0)
Check supported media : Enabled (1)
Wizard: On

ISO compilation
6:48:39 PM #1 Text 0 File Isodoc.cpp, Line 7482
Iso document burn settings
------------------------------------------
Determine maximum speed : TRUE
Simulate : TRUE
Write : FALSE
Finalize CD : FALSE
Multisession : TRUE
Multisession type: : Start multisession
Burning mode : DAO
Mode : 1
ISO Level : 1 (Max. of 11 = 8 + 3 char)
Character set : ISO 9660
Joliet : TRUE
Allow pathdepth more than 8 directories : TRUE
Allow more than 255 characters in path : TRUE
Write ISO9660 ;1 file extensions : TRUE

6:48:41 PM #2 Text 0 File Reader.cpp, Line 115
Reader running

6:48:41 PM #3 ISO9660GEN -11 File geniso.cpp, Line 4546
First writeable address = 0 (0x00000000)

6:48:42 PM #4 ISO9660GEN -3 File geniso.cpp, Line 3365

6:48:42 PM #5 ISO9660GEN -6 File geniso.cpp, Line 4639

6:48:42 PM #6 Text 0 File Scsicmd.cpp, Line 406
SCSI not using temporary buffers
20 out of 20 temporary buffers allocated

Existing drivers:
File ‘Drivers\atapi.sys’: Ver=5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920), size=86912 bytes, created 8/29/2002 4:27:50 AM (Adapter driver for rec)

Registry Keys:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon\AllocateCDROMs : 0 (Security Option)
:confused: :confused:

just had to say sometimes nero does it and sometiems it dont … I have ran into that problem …but i know nortonts ghost 2003 , drive image 7 and some others out there do whole drives backup alot better …oh and ancoris true image all are great products to backup a hard drive and alot better then nero and you can backup to dvd -r too with a dvd burner

Hey well thanks for the reply I appreciate it. I have Norton system works 2002 can I use it to backup the hard drive?

Dusty

if it is system works pro then yes it has ghost built in but new version ghost works alot better and easier …

Originally posted by giovanni42104

…oh and ancoris true image
Acronis , that is. :wink:

thanks again boskin …

I am bad spelling i just write some of this stuff quick … and mess up on spelling …wish they had spell check after we write it … LOL

and by the way nice pic … hehhehe i like that …

cheers

Originally posted by giovanni42104

I am bad spelling i just write some of this stuff quick … and mess up on spelling
…wish they had spell check after we write it … LOL

You could therefore hire me as your personal editor, let “them” start w it, he-he :wink:

hhahhah I need to hire you to make me an icon with my little pug pic …

We’ll see…

Cheers ! :smiley:

Hi My Name is Curt. I am new to your site, but I have to say it is excellent so far… anyway… I bought the new Nero 6 Suite, registered it, and did a backup with Nero BackItUp. It was fairly smooth. I had to reformat my drive . So I had 64 Backup CDs and reformatted my drive. Now in trying to restore them. It says I need a backup information file. I didn’t know anything about them, wasn’t in the docs. Gone with the formatted harddrive. Is there some way to rebuild them?

gosh 64 … just had to say that is alot …how big was the drive …? i was just wondering

Originally posted by cgb611

Gone with the formatted harddrive. Is there some way to rebuild them?

< < Check this out !

FinalData Recovers Damaged and Lost Files

• Emptied Recycle Bin
  • PC viruses
  • Damaged hard-drive partitions
  • Software failures
  • Damaged system files
  • Partitions deleted by FDISK
  • Formatted drives
  • Power outages and failures

Data recovery

FinalData recovers data by directly scanning the data area.

The proven FinalData recovery process works in a variety of situations:

1. The most common situation is the deletion of directory entry information along with the files. In these cases, even though files are deleted, the data itself remains in the data area. But because the file is marked “deleted” in the directory entry, the Microsoft® Windows® operating system cannot read it. FinalData is able to recover the data by scanning the data area directly.

2. When information disappears in the FAT and root directory areas, the quick disk format deletes all directory entry information in the FAT and root directory. The Windows® operating system cannot read files-but, again, FinalData overcomes these problems by scanning the data area directly.

&

<< by courtesy of giovanni42104 :wink:

:smiley:

thank you boskin …it is great program…i recommend every pc person …novice to expert to have getdata back and no I am not getting paid to say this … just very useful

Thanks guys… have to check out the program… I just want to say this is the most usefull forum I have come across in a long time. I’m not a newbie to computers, but to a/v authoring… yes… having a blast. Thanks…

Originally posted by cgb611

this is the most usefull forum I have come across in a long time.
That sounds GR8 ! :smiley:

R-Studio 2 is even better, but more advanced means a little harder to use for some ‘expert’ features.

The one advantage this program has over any other that I have come across or found using search engines is that is can work with ‘striped dynamic’ drives.

Some other programs can work to an extent with dynamic partitions - not many - but none I have seen will touch striped drives.

Besides recovering deleted data, if for some reason the strip info gets damaged so that Win2K / XP will not mount those drives or ‘import foreign sets’, RS will let you see the stripes and data and recover it to local storage, net, or virtual images - which are good to make early in case the OS writes over any part of the drive.

www.iespell.com