How to backup copy protected discs?

vbimport

Hi,
I’m a mom from Canada. Unfortuantly I went for the big screen on my laptop, instead of the dvd burner, but I got myself a Pioneer RT401 dvd and vcr burner combo. What my intention was is simple. My 2 year old son “thinks” he’s old enough to pick and play his dvds with out help, but is still too young to handle them right. I wanted to backup all the cartoons I’ve bought him, and give him the burnt copies, to save money in rebying the oringionals. Little did I know, copyprotection doesn’t discriminate personal use or not. Dose anyone know of a way to get around that. Some have burnt, but others stop and say copy protected image. I’ve beening thinking if I can do my set up dvd into tv, tv out to burner, buner outto another TV. Would that work? (I currently don’t have a TV with av in and out, so before I look in to one… :slight_smile:
Thanks for any comments!!!

That would most likely not work. Although you bypass region code protection (rpc) and content scrambling (css), it will not bypass another ye olde protection called MacroVision.

Agree that it won’t work. I’m really not sure about the region code issue, Mr. Belvedere probably is ahead of me on this. Besides another standalone, like a Liteon 5005 (which I own, $129 US), which can be flashed to region free and macrovision free or a burner (maybe external ?) in combo with software such as AnyDVD, I just don’t know. Maybe you could get some help with your pioneer in the pioneer dvd recorder forum right here. It’s probably worth a shot.

Thanks for the fast replys guys! I’m also a begginer satilite enthusist, and for that I know that you can sometimes input codes into hidden (programmer) menus. Does the same concept hold with these machines? I know there is no download link, but you can do such niffty things with the right resources, such as this site :wink:
Thanks for this link, I didn’t notice that section before, and I’ll browse it now.

The easyest way to backup your discs is to rip them on a computer with dvd decrypter, and then burn on a dvd. If you don’t plan to burn on a dual layer disc, then you need also a software to compress the original like dvd shrink or clonedvd.

Cool! Can you tell me if there are satellite recievers that can recieve the normal free Astra-sat channels without paying a monthly fee for it?

and for that I know that you can sometimes input codes into hidden (programmer) menus. Does the same concept hold with these machines?

Yes… and no. :slight_smile: All devices, wether they playback or for writing, depend on certain settings. This is done in their own system configuration, known as the firmware.

Manufactures don’t produce their devices in all regions. Most devices come from a single assembly line and then are shipped to the appropriate region. This forces them to do region and protection settings before shipping, but after assembling the product. Sometimes people find out/leak out those hidden menu settings.

In some cases the manufacturer will release an updated firmware for your device, so that it’s more compatible with the new reading and writing strategies (think of Dual Layer burning, better support for media quality, etc).

Some people examine those firmwares and find out where the region code and all the protections are hiding. Then they hack this firmware and put a new self-made firmware on the internet.

The trouble is, that most combined models (DVD+VCR, Media Box, DVD Writers in notebooks) have a far different firmware than those “normal” devices. There’s hardly any hacked firmware for those combined models.

Wow, you are super knowledgable. Here’s one that has me stumped. Like I say, some of his dvd have burnt, and I’ve found it seems to be the ones that have opening previews, as oppsed to going straight to the menu sceen. I’m wondering why some will burn, and some won’t. Also, with the idea of filtering it through 2 tvs, Wouldn’t that make it just a normal video signal, instead of the origional protected signal. Example, I can record PVP off the satalite, which at sorce would be protected, right? but by the time it reaches my TV, then to the recorder, its just a normal TV signal… (I know nothing of the mechanics, which is why I’m asking what might be a silly question…) :slight_smile:
Thanks for the lesson!!!

As for the Satellite, Any FTA reciever (free to air) will pick up almost anything that you can find programing for. Im not sure which Astra-sat is, but I can look into it for you. FTA recievers like Pansat, coolsat, viewsat, (higher end) and Microyal, which I currently have (lower end, I fried my pansat) can be upload with bins downloaded from the net to give you the programming that you are looking for, granted you can find programming for that sat. You can scan for normal free channels for the satellites that you are aimed at, and can get pirated channels with the right bins and satellite aiming.
Does that help, or have I just told you what you already know? :slight_smile: I’ll look into the astra sat and get back to you.
Regards!!

:o

Like I say, some of his dvd have burnt, and I’ve found it seems to be the ones that have opening previews, as oppsed to going straight to the menu sceen. I’m wondering why some will burn, and some won’t.

Different dvd’s have different copy protections. For instance: Disney dvd’s (which is one of the reasons why they are called Disney DVD and not just “DVD”) are extremely high protected compared to others. Some have analog protection, real cheap-o’s don’t have any protection at all!

Also, with the idea of filtering it through 2 tvs, Wouldn’t that make it just a normal video signal, instead of the origional protected signal.

I may get too technical, but here’s what will happen:

1. DVD plays video and audio content towards the cables.
    The DVD player decodes the digital content on the disc (It decrypts the CSS contents). This signal has now lost its digital coding information (region code and css), but still has analog protection. This analog protection is called MacroVision.

2. The TV will recieve the signal. TV’s can deal with MacroVision perfectly, because they have a bigger signal tuner than video recorders.

3. The recorder will eventually recieve the same signal as your tv’s recieve. This signal (still with MacroVision on it!) is grabbed by the tuner inside the vcr. The tuner doesn’t understand a thing of it and the video is suddenly in black/white and blinking. The evil MacroVision monster has stricken again! :slight_smile:

Example, I can record PVP off the satalite, which at sorce would be protected, right? but by the time it reaches my TV, then to the recorder, its just a normal TV signal…
Yes, but in 99% of the cases MacroVision protection is added to the signal. There’s only one way to find out: Connect your vcr directly to the video (i’m assuming SCART) cable of your satellite reciever and check if you can get a clear image.

If not?

All in all the above solution, wether or not it works, is a very time consuming, technical and expensive solution.

Any PC with Windows 2000 or above on it, a dvd writer and some programs (you just need a lot of harddisk space) can backup every dvd you have. A PC dvd writer costs about $50. The programs will cost around $50 as well (AnyDVD and Nero. DvdShrink is free) and then you’re done. You just need to catch up on a lot of information on how to backup. All that information is on this forum.

Thanks for the lesson!!!
You’re welcome.

Thanks for the info about the satellite recievers! :bow: I want to get rid of my cable-tv (monthly fee) and am willing to purchase a satellite reciever+dish, but i wouldn’t want another monthly fee to keep watching local dutch channels.

And here I was thinking I was so smart to buy the combo… (I’m so lacking on the subject, I actually thought all those really old VHS tape I had wouldn’t be protected enough to put on to nice and easy DVD. Good thing the new system still has a VCR… ) <lol> Another note on the Sat, they just went down today, and usually you can get the code to be viewing within hours, but at the moment they are debating whether or not it will be possibale to get the FTA system back on line. It’ll usually only takes a day or 2 to figure out a solution, so I’d advise not to run to your local sat shop just yet, cause they might come up with a new and improved system. I’ll let you know what I hear.
Cheers! :smiley:

I was thinking about the satellite, and realised that your not looking for the channels that have gone down. The “unobtainable” ones. If it is just good ole free channels, then it should be all good, but just so I have my facts straight to find out some info for you, from your first post, your looking for Astra sat, and for the last, it is Dutch. I’ll watch for that. We have one sat set to a free provider, and get arabic, asian, I think some of what sounds like russian and more. These run with no trouble, cause you don’t have to play with the codeing… :wink:
Took that “after the fact” mental review for me to get with the program, but hey, I’ve a 2 year old monster and tend to be scatterbrained at times… (Good excuse, huh?) :doh:

CLONEDVD2 and Shrink will do a great job at this on your computer box. Then buy a $29 DVD player for him to trash.