How To Back-up BIOS (Dell Inspiron 530s)?

vbimport

I need to update the BIOS on my Dell Inspiron 530s and want to back-up the old BIOS to a DVD to have in case of problems. I am told this can be done but I have been unsuccessful so far in finding out how. Can anyone provide me with or point me to procedures to both back-up the BIOS to DVD and restore it in case of failure? I only have DVDs on hand right now so I need to be able to do it to DVD and not a CD (at least for the moment). Thanks in advance for any help.

I am not certain how the Inspiron 530s operates, but on my Dell notebooks, I get an option to back up old BIOS to a drive or folder. I stick them on a USB stick because, if I ‘lose’ the installation during the new BIOS update, the BIOS Screen gives me a chance to re-load it from another drive - that USB drive. It would also fit on a CD-R.

I should have written, [I][B]“When I do the BIOS update process, I have the option to also backup the old BIOS before I flash the new one.” [/B][/I]

I can start the BIOS update procedure and I see that “backup?” option before I proceed.

You might check on that. I’m rather fearless about flashing Dells because they have a Clear-the-BIOS option on their motherboards, too. On these desktops, I’m sure this would be far handier to access than on notebooks.

Flashing BIOS can also be affected by add-in cards. If you’ve got a different video card, different sound-cards, wireless cards or, especially, controller cards to add SATA, IDE or USB ports - these can impact the motherboard’s BIOS update abilities.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2659479]I should have written, [I][B]“When I do the BIOS update process, I have the option to also backup the old BIOS before I flash the new one.” [/B][/I]

I can start the BIOS update procedure and I see that “backup?” option before I proceed.

You might check on that. I’m rather fearless about flashing Dells because they have a Clear-the-BIOS option on their motherboards, too. On these desktops, I’m sure this would be far handier to access than on notebooks.

Flashing BIOS can also be affected by add-in cards. If you’ve got a different video card, different sound-cards, wireless cards or, especially, controller cards to add SATA, IDE or USB ports - these can impact the motherboard’s BIOS update abilities.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response. Dell told me that there was no back-up option on my system but that it would be safe to just flash the BIOS and that a back-up was not necessary. I went ahead and did that (keeping my fingers crossed that there was no power failure) and it worked fine.

Besides the power failure, I would also keep my fingers crossed for doing what a Dell tech said :wink:

But congrats that it worked!