How to avoid resume when using root menu button

vbimport

I have a DVD where the first program/cell of a pgc is the special features menu. The other program/cells in the pgc are a series of graphics.

The special features menu has 3 buttons, 2 are linked to 2 titles and the third one is linked to the series of programs/cells containing the various graphics.

I want to be able to use the (root) menu button on my DVD Player when I am viewing one of the graphics so that I am returned to the special features menu (ie, the first program/cell of the PGC). I have tried modifying the DVD navigation in a number of ways in DVDReMake but without success. The resume function is always activated when I use the menu button no matter what I change.

It appears that when the root menu button is used while actually in a menu (rather than say, playing a title) 'resume’is always activated. I find that the same thing happens when I use the root menu button when in the chapters menu.

Is this resume function (when using the menu button while viewing a menu) an unchangeable feature of DVD design standards or can I do something to modify it?

Resume returns to the last played title. Look for the [I]resume[/I] command by start tracing from the root menu. There will be some [I]if[/I] statement with some R[x] that determines whether to resume or not.

You can add additional logics to go to the special features menu before this check for [I]resume[/I]. In the special features menu, when the third button is pressed, set an unused register to 1 before branching to the graphics. Then in the menu pgc where the [I]resume[/I] command resides, insert the [I]if[/I] statement [B]before[/B] the [I]if[/I] check for resume to check if the unused register is set. If it is, then branch to the special features menu. If not, then execute the next [I]if[/I] statement. Also, be sure to reset this unused register to 0 when you’re in the last graphic menu.

If in doubt, post some screenshots of the associated commands (pre/post), or even better attach the menu shrinked VOB along with the IFOs (convert all menus to still, you can blank the middle graphic menus if you want to, disable the menu audio, and export modified files to some folder, zip this folder, and attach it here).

I want to be able to use the (root) menu button on my DVD Player when I am viewing one of the graphics so that I am returned to the special features menu (ie, the first program/cell of the PGC).

Sorry, what you want to do is impossible.

It appears that when the root menu button is used while actually in a menu (rather than say, playing a title) 'resume’is always activated. I find that the same thing happens when I use the root menu button when in the chapters menu.

Is this resume function (when using the menu button while viewing a menu) an unchangeable feature of DVD design standards or can I do something to modify it?
Yes, the root menu is programmed, under the DVD specs, to resume from the menu domain. No amount of command checking can help.

What you can do is program in a new button to go to the place you wanna go. Or …

Use the GoUp PGC link (under Extras). This is a link to a PGCN that goes there when the “return” or “goup” is pressed on the remote. Ensure the GoUp PUO is not checked.

Regards

I have uploaded a zip to a filesharing site for your consideration. This contains the relevant files as per your instructions. I’ve reduced it as far as seems feasible without compromising navigation. It’s about 2.5 mbs. The url for the file at the site is: http://www.mediafire.com/?hdygfdmbnim

Regards, Hubchy

Your FP-PGC and Title menu have illegal commands. A TTN needs to be named. Also the post commands of title 1 need a resume cell (I know DVDRMP allows 0, but it is incorrect).

Also, upgrade your DVDRMP - it is now 3.6.3.

Because a gprm is set that always takes you back to the special features menu, you need the GoUp to emulate the “main menu” button. This is done by adding a new PGC (5) with the correct command.

Enclosed, please find new IFO files (there are also some authoring errors with selected buttons being out of range in the special features menu, but I guess it is OK). Pressing “Return” anywhere on the special features menu will take you to the main menu.

Regards

DVD sample.zip (2.5 KB)

Other than some minor illegal commands, seems like his problem has already been solved, i.e. to go to the special features menu when viewing one of the graphics. Don’t know if he has modified already.

The TTN being 0 does not really affect playback, at least some has reported and I tested on my dvd players, but to be sure it’s better to defined it to have TTN = 1.

Oh - I made it go to the root menu. Silly me. Please ignore the ones in post 5 and see enclosed.

Remember to reinsert the VOBs, fix the commands in the titles and do a Get VTS sectors.

Other than the bad references to TTNs and resume cell, the only thing I added was a GoUp link to PGCN 3 (the same as the special features menu).

Regards

DVD sample.zip (2.49 KB)