How to add a SATA DVD drive?

I have a Dell E510. I have two SATA hard drives and one EIDE DVD drive. It seems like all the highly rated newer DVD drives are SATA. Is it possible to another SATA controller board or are systems limited to two SATA connections. Should I just continue on with a new EIDE and if so any recommendations?

Thanks

Hello ChiefT :slight_smile:

Do you know by any chance what chipsets/controllers are in your Dell? For example, my all-SATA Dell Dimension E520 has an Intel ICH8 chipset., which works very nicely with SATA optical drives.

If your optical drives currently are IDE, then for a safe route I’d stick with that personally, the Pioneer DVR-115(D) is a great IDE option.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2036283]Hello ChiefT :slight_smile:

Do you know by any chance what chipsets/controllers are in your Dell? For example, my all-SATA Dell Dimension E520 has an Intel ICH8 chipset., which works very nicely with SATA optical drives.[/QUOTE]

Don’t know the chipset. I checked my service tag on Dell support but it doesn’t tell me either. I think your advice is the best. Stick with an IDE drive. This less stuff I have to add to this the better. What does the (D) mean after the DVR-115. I’m unable to locate that model with the (D).

Ah, the 115 will also read and write to DVD-RAM, and the 115D will read DVD-RAM, but not write it (I believe).

If you can only locate the 115, that’s basically the only difference I can think of. No biggie really :slight_smile:

You can add SATA control board to your computer. I just did that on mine, added four port card, but I have an Intel mother board, still PCI.
With IDE, DVD burners like to be on Master so if you have something there already it may give you grieve.
You should be careful with DELL because they are sometime picky.