How Stable is a clean install of xp sp3?

vbimport

I had this old dimension 3000, P4 2.8, 512 megs cas 3 ram

did the slipstream and clean install

it was booting to the desktop w/wireless in 17 seconds, shutting down in 7 seconds, but how much abuse could it take?

:a

norton’s has a 15 day trial of 360

first I updated java, loaded spybot/immunized

360 turned autoupdates back on and tried to hose my vid driver(I already had the latest)

wanted me to do a full scan and download the maliscous removal tool, computer hadn’t even hardly been loaded or on the internet

everything was still going fine, bootup slower but most things still snappy

decided to call for reinforcements and installed winpatrol and avg free AV
and enable teatimer

I’ll crash this sob yet

:disagree:

swap file has doubled, available ram halved, scotty is having a fit, teatimer is hiding in the corner, avg is pushed to the end of the line

bootup time is 47 seconds, shutdown is a little iffy :bigsmile:

let’s test all this protection

hmm here’s a file from P2P

115KB zipped

A-Squared Found nothing
AntiVir Found TR/Dldr.VB.dck
ArcaVir Found Adware.Virtumonde.Ic
Avast Found Win32:VB-FXE
AVG Antivirus Found Dropper.Generic.VUZ
BitDefender Found Trojan.Downloader.VB.VOT
ClamAV Found Trojan.Downloader-26456
CPsecure Found Troj.Downloader.W32.VB.dck
Dr.Web Found nothing
F-Prot Antivirus Found nothing
F-Secure Anti-Virus Found Trojan:W32/VB.BJQ, Trojan-Downloader.Win32.VB.dck
Fortinet Found W32/VB.DCK!tr.dldr
Ikarus Found Virus.Win32.VB.FXE
Kaspersky Anti-Virus Found Trojan-Downloader.Win32.VB.dck
NOD32 Found probably a variant of Win32/TrojanDropper.VB.NAI (probable variant)
Norman Virus Control Found W32/DLoader.GBUP
Panda Antivirus Found Bck/VB.ABN
Sophos Antivirus Found W32/Zipwire-A
VirusBuster Found nothing
VBA32 Found Trojan-Downloader.Win32.VB.dck

jotti says I have a winner

damn 360 has windows so locked down it won’t let me even install it

:clap:

I need a few more tool bars, IM’s, maybe i should have used McAfee instead

Maybe you should have bought Kapersky Internet Security Suite, with a much smaller footprint and better detection. Norton is a bloated piece of software that absolutely slow your machine down. Just my advice, please do not take it any other way, I usually do not pimp other software but in this case I could n’t help myself:cool: Hey Chewy after all these years, you still are using Norton?:bigsmile::bigsmile:

I will say in my opinion dump Norton regardless of being new it still a bad program and software company. Too much bloated ware. Make sure you get the norton clean uninstaller as well when you get rid of it. But I use AV free that updates for free only thing is the pop advertisement window for AV preminum AV but I just click “OK” to clear it and that works for me. Also forget about McAfee as well I used that also and thought it was good til it missed viruses. Just cause they have a big name don’t mean they are good it just makes them more of a target for hacker and viruses. Oh, yeah also those Norton and McAfee requires you to pay a year subscription to get those updates. Also those free AV that has pop for their programs are much smaller and better in my experiences so far and I been using it since 2003.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2059818] But I use AV free that updates for free only thing is the pop advertisement window for AV premium AV but I just click “OK” to clear it and that works for me.[/QUOTE]

Create a path rule in windows local security settings to stop the pop up.

The rule will stop avnotify.exe which is located in the Avira directory from accessing the internet.

The paths will slightly vary depending on OS.

:cool::cool:

kasp is a good program but I was [B]trying[/B] to crash this computer

360 has a free 15 day trial

so far I am very impressed, of course I [B]never [/B]use resident protection myself

[QUOTE=DaChew;2059888]kasp is a good program but I was [B]trying[/B] to crash this computer

360 has a free 15 day trial

so far I am very impressed, of course I [B]never [/B]use resident protection myself[/QUOTE]

Yup, that’s what I thought you were trying to do.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2059890]Yup, that’s what I thought you were trying to do.:slight_smile:

:cool::cool:[/QUOTE]

:iagree:

Thanks for the tip on Avira, [B]platinumsword[/B] (running this on my brother-in-law’s German XP PC - being German software and such) - (no resident protection for me personally either - I’ll deal with it when I screw up :p).

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2059829]Create a path rule in windows local security settings to stop the pop up.

The rule will stop avnotify.exe which is located in the Avira directory from accessing the internet.

The paths will slightly vary depending on OS.

:cool::cool:[/QUOTE]

cool, I will give that a try … :clap: It won’t like choke on me will it???

Only Ralph Kramden would appreciate Norton

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2060132]cool, I will give that a try … :clap: It won’t like choke on me will it???[/QUOTE]

Hi [B]coolcolors[/B], - I printed out the instructions [U]here[/U] and disabled the nag screen [I]and[/I] the splash screen on this German XP Home PC. Works like a charm & is much neater this way. Thanks again [B]platinumsword[/B] for mentioning this.

P.S. This OEM PC was updated to SP3 from the downloaded service pack .exe several weeks ago without problem (running IE7).

[QUOTE=Cressida;2061332]Hi [B]coolcolors[/B], - I printed out the instructions [U]here[/U] and disabled the nag screen [I]and[/I] the splash screen on this German XP Home PC. Works like a charm & is much neater this way. Thanks again [B]platinumsword[/B] for mentioning this.

P.S. This OEM PC was updated to SP3 from the downloaded service pack .exe several weeks ago without problem (running IE7).[/QUOTE]

wow, so how did you go about getting the instructions?? looks good…have to play with the registry now…:cool:

I think I have a winner here

23 seconds to boot w/wireless internet

9 seconds to shut down

protection will not let me extract the test trojan(amazing how fast it worked)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira[B]AntiVir PersonalEdition [/B]Classic\sched.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\BillP Studios[B]WinPatrol[/B]\winpatrol.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

and I got a beautiful shot from task manager

and that little blue terrier hold hands with the red umbrella is kind of cute

[quote=Cressida;2061332]Hi [B]coolcolors[/B], - I printed out the instructions [U]here[/U] and disabled the nag screen [I]and[/I] the splash screen on this German XP Home PC. Works like a charm & is much neater this way. Thanks again [B]platinumsword[/B] for mentioning this.

P.S. This OEM PC was updated to SP3 from the downloaded service pack .exe several weeks ago without problem (running IE7).[/quote]

Your welcome. :slight_smile: