How Sly is Slysoft?

vbimport

Recent changes to AnyDVD have drastically degraded the ability of the software to work easily with programs other than their in house hawked CloneDVD from Elby. They say this was “inadvertent”, of course. Today there is a new (locked) thread on their forum that places the blame for all this on all the “other softwares”, and tries to obscure the fact that the real problem is a limitation of AnyDVD not being able to remove structural copy protections in the background. They go as far as to lie: “These programs have trouble letting AnyDVD do what it needs to do before starting the post-processing.” The real truth is that AnyDVD cannot do these things, with or without these programs running. (Then they (of couse) take a moment to tout CloneDVD as the final solution.)

So to end with a question?
If this change to AnyDVD was as “inadvertent” as they claim it to be; why are they lying about the very nature of the issue at all?

So far I haven’t had any problems with AnyDVD doing what it is supposed too.
Even though ImgBurn gives a warning it doesn’t seem to conflict. I don’t usually use Verify though.
You should have posted the slysoft forum link I would have read it.

I’m sorry. Here it is. This post is almost 100% untruth.
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=44293

Thanks Eastaby ; I read the slysoft forum post.
I never do “on the fly” burning so that is probably why I haven’t had problems.
I always rip to a hard drive & burn from there.

I don’t burn “on the fly” myself (anymore) so, like you, I’ve never had the issue.
AnyDVD claims to decrypt on the fly, and it does that, providing the file structure hasn’t been messed with too badly by the studio. To get past the latter protections it has to rip the contents. But it seems that they have sunk to a whole new level of pushing CloneDVD, if they have to lie to their own forum users about other software to make a selling point. And that distrust makes one wonder exactly [U]why[/U] AnyDVD is not able to handle older structural protections this month that it could handle last month?

[QUOTE=Eastaby;2556354]I don’t burn “on the fly” myself (anymore) so, like you, I’ve never had the issue.
AnyDVD claims to decrypt on the fly, and it does that, providing the file structure hasn’t been messed with too badly by the studio. To get past the latter protections it has to rip the contents. But it seems that they have sunk to a whole new level of pushing CloneDVD, if they have to lie to their own forum users about other software to make a selling point. And that distrust makes one wonder exactly [U]why[/U] AnyDVD is not able to handle older structural protections this month that it could handle last month?[/QUOTE]

I don’t know where you getting your stories from but they have the right to write their software as they see fit and how it runs that is a fact. And if others software don’t like their programming to work with Slysoft there’s nothing Slysoft can do about that. I never had problems with Anydvd decrypting DVD to back with CloneCD or CloneDVD. As I don’t always go for newest but to back the older DVD for safe keeping. AnyDVD been good about updating and keeping up with protections and only time when it doesn’t work is for the latest or newer protections. And considering others don’t update as fast or frequent as Slysoft - I have to wonder why your not saying this about other software as well? So if you got a legit problem and concern let’s address it otherwise all the rant doesn’t help address the problem especially how frequent they come out with new protection. Fan or not I like software that works and this is one of the more valued software that does what it does better then most.

I told you where I got my story from. I got my story straight from the Slysoft forum. I later even linked the article for someone. I never said that AnyDVD doesn’t update quickly. I never said AnyDVD doesn’t work very well at what it does. Looking back, I never spoke to any of the issues you rambled on about. And I totally agree with you and Alan about no update beta’s for trial users too, so there. :slight_smile:

I said that an Official Slysoft Staffer told a [U]bald faced lie[/U] on their board this morning with:
[U] “These programs have trouble letting AnyDVD do what it needs to do before starting the post-processing.” [/U]
That is a lie. The issue is inherent to AnyDVD with or without those programs. My “legit problem or concern” is that they lied to make other products look bad. Lying is not ok, lying to customers is bad.
What I [B]asked[/B] is that if they’ll[U] lie[/U] to sell CloneDVD - what [B]else[/B] will they do? [U]Were the changes last month on the up and up?[/U] Who can you believe?

Sorry, it’s their problem not ours. CloneDVD2 users do not have this issue.

Tell me how this statement is a lie?? They create their program to work with their programs there is nothing against the law for them doing so cause it is their proprietary software…Just like M$ makes software just to be able to access their software…If you go by what your saying then M$ is lying to all the customers as well right??? Otherwise just don’t use Slysoft product no one is telling you to use it right???

That’s [U]not[/U] the statement I called out as a lie. I’m really sorry you can’t understand what I’m trying to say.

And not that its relevent to this topic. But I guess you totally forgot about the time M$ got caught altering Windows so that other people’s software would not work properly? What I think you are trying to advocate is an [U]illegal business practice[/U]. But again, that’s [U]not[/U] what this Slysoft thread is about, so please don’t spend an hour defending it.

There are certain rules pertaining to logical arguement. Calling a statement or a claim, “a lie”, does require some evidence.

What I think you are trying to advocate is an illegal business practice. But again, that’s not what this Slysoft thread is about, so please don’t spend an hour defending it.

Ain’t no business practice illegal in Antigua and Barbuda…

[QUOTE=deanimator;2556441]There are certain rules pertaining to logical arguement. Calling a statement or a claim, “a lie”, does require some evidence.[/QUOTE]

You right.
Most power users of AnyDVD already know the truth, making the lie self evident, but for you:

a) Unload (exit) all this “other evil software” that is supposedly “at fault” per the post.

b) With only AnyDVD running, insert a DVD containing structural copy protections. (Toy Story 3 is fine)

c) Now open Windows Explorer and attempt to copy the VIDEO_TS folder out of the DVD to your hard drive.

You will find that AnyDVD cannot remove structural copy protection “in the background” or “on the fly” as they call it. Your attempted rip will somehow fail. This is a known fact that users have been living with for a long time with no complaint. What’s [U]new and unusual[/U] is only the fact that they’d lie as to the reason for this happening.

Other software is not to blame, it’s just a known (and quite acceptable) limitation of AnyDVD. And those who use the product (including me) have known about and accepted this limitation a long time ago.

It’s the lie that’s striking, not the mundane facts.

Why would anyone use AnyDVD? DVD Decrypter is free and works as it should. There are many free (and good) tools out there for any DVD backup and editing one could want.

I don’t think DVD Decrypter is updated anymore. Nor are alternatives to AnyDVD the point here. AnyDVD is updated as needed in a timely manner and works very well. It’s of great concern though, when they feel the need to start lying to their own forum members. To me, it’s not a good indicator of long term stability. And lies require exposure, just becaue they require exposure, and for no other hidden reason.

I think to remove the structural protection you need to use AnyDVD rip to hard disc feature which was added for that protection. Could be why it not work like advertised but using the rip to hard disk feature first works and then use that folder as source for all other programs.

but I prefer and use AnyDVDs competitor on a daily basis so no idea what works with AnyDVD anymore. Unfortunately not able to mention the competitor here

You know, its an odd thing, but I ripped Toy Story 3 to the hard drive this week using DVDShrink and AnyDVD in the background. I did a main movie backup if that is important, and it required no compression.
I had no issues, though it took AnyDVD a longer time than usual to break the encryption.

Trying to copy with Windows Explorer is not recommended with dvd video. You should use a ripping program like Shrink, or DVDDecrypter, or the built in ripping program within AnyDVD. All work perfectly well.

Of course, I always, [B]always[/B] rip to the hard drive before trying to work with dvd-video.

[QUOTE=AGJ;2556479]I think to remove the structural protection you need to use AnyDVD rip to hard disc feature which was added for that protection. Could be why it not work like advertised but using the rip to hard disk feature first works and then use that folder as source for all other programs. [/QUOTE]

Yes. That’s a good statement. The rip to hard disk feature was put there just to deal with structural protection that AnyDVD could not deal with in the background only. What alarmed me today was seeing the post from a Slysoft employee that blatently lied about the nature of structural protection handling by blaming it on the “other programs” doing something wrong. That was a bald faced lie.

And yes to Kerry, you can often rip just the feature out a DVD with AnyDVD in the background, though no where near as often as you could a couple months ago. Often but not always. Remember, the Slysoft employee was (in his post) responding to an increasing murmer on the forum about AnyDVD not working as well with “Brand X” programs as it used to. The problem is that he lied to make a point, in order to push CloneDVD more convincingly.
Until structural protection came along, you could [U]always[/U] rip to a folder by just using Windows Explorer with AnyDVD in the background. I used that as an example to illustrate a point.

[QUOTE=Eastaby;2556244]Recent changes to AnyDVD have drastically degraded the ability of the software to work easily with programs other than their in house hawked CloneDVD from Elby. They say this was “inadvertent”, of course. Today there is a new (locked) thread on their forum that places the blame for all this on all the “other softwares”, and tries to obscure the fact that the real problem is a limitation of AnyDVD not being able to remove structural copy protections in the background. They go as far as to lie: [U]“These programs have trouble letting AnyDVD do what it needs to do before starting the post-processing.” [/U] The real truth is that AnyDVD cannot do these things, with or without these programs running. (Then they (of couse) take a moment to tout CloneDVD as the final solution.)

So to end with a question?
If this change to AnyDVD was as “inadvertent” as they claim it to be; why are they lying about the very nature of the issue at all?[/QUOTE]
Image burn works like a champ.

I backed up Toy Story 3 with CloneDVD2 on the fly. Here is what I get on the backup.

Summary for drive Y: (AnyDVD 6.7.1.9)
SONY DVD RW DRU-830A SS25 MAR22 ,2007
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd+r dl (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2023568 sectors (3952 MBytes)
Total size: 3941440 sectors (7698 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: TOY_STORY_3
Media is not CSS protected.
Media is region free.
Video Standard: NTSC

Found & removed structural copy protection!
Found & removed invalid cell pieces!
Found & removed bogus title set(s)!
RCE protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Found & removed 14 potential bad sector protections!
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

[QUOTE=JoeJackson;2556529]I backed up Toy Story 3 with CloneDVD2 on the fly. Here is what I get on the backup.

Summary for drive Y: (AnyDVD 6.7.1.9)
SONY DVD RW DRU-830A SS25 MAR22 ,2007
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd+r dl (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2023568 sectors (3952 MBytes)
Total size: 3941440 sectors (7698 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: TOY_STORY_3
Media is not CSS protected.
Media is region free.
Video Standard: NTSC

Found & removed structural copy protection!
Found & removed invalid cell pieces!
Found & removed bogus title set(s)!
RCE protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Found & removed 14 potential bad sector protections!
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1![/QUOTE]

What the… NTSC? NTSC=Never The Same Color.

Main movie is the way to go…

Do you have an antiquated video set-up?