How should i go about turning my current pc into a cd/dvd burning tower?

vbimport

I can navigate my way around a computer reasonably well once it’s switched on, however i am a complete novice when it comes to components of a pc. Does anyone know the best way i should turn my current desktop into a cd/dvd burning tower. I need this done as cheaply as possible, but with the best possible power. If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

The spec of the desktop is:-
MS Windows 2000 Professional SP4 (but I am able get a copy of any other Windows OS)
Processor - x86 Family 6 Model 3 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~849 Mhz
BIOS Version - Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Total Physical Memory - 253,428 KB
Available Physical Memory - 68,072KB
Total Virtual Memory - 865,380 KB
Available Virtual Memory - 506,100KB
Page File Space - 611,952 KB
1st Hard Drive - 37.26 GB (40,007,729,664 bytes)
2nd Hard Drive - 38.29 GB (41,109,061,632 bytes)

If there’s any more information about the system, just ask me.
Thanks once again. I hope someone is able to help.

Do you currently have any CD/DVD burner in your system now? I’m not sure what you mean by “burning tower”. Do you want to use more than one burner, more than two, etc?
Do you know anything about your current power supply? What is your budget?

[QUOTE=Whappo;2475437]Do you currently have any CD/DVD burner in your system now? I’m not sure what you mean by “burning tower”. Do you want to use more than one burner, more than two, etc?
Do you know anything about your current power supply? What is your budget?[/QUOTE]

I don’t currently have a cd/dvd burner in the system now but i have one that i can take from another system instead.
I was looking to be able to burn 3,4,5 or more discs simultaneously.
How do i find out about the current power supply?

This is a very old, slow system compared to anything made in the last 4 years. You have adequate hard drive space, though those old 40gb drives will be slow. The Win2k operating system is fine as long as your burning program works in it. You do not have adequate memory at 256mb.

You could use this to burn from one drive with no issues. Two at the same time would be problematic. Beyond that I believe you would be completely out of luck.

Open the case and look at the sticker on the side of the power supply. My guess is that it is 250w maximum, and may be much smaller than that if this is an OEM machine.

You should do a Google search for dvd duplicator. You can buy dedicated machines designed for nothing but disk duplication for a reasonable price.

Not sure if it’s an OEM machine, but on start-up it says “Windows 2000 built on NT Technology.” Does that make any difference to the capabilities of the OS?

The OS isn’t the problem. You can get by burning one disk at a time and anything beyond that will require some upgrades, if not a complete overhaul. Your hard drives probably can’t feed data fast enough to more than one burner and your power supply will certainly not be able to handle more burners. You don’t mention how many available drive bays you have. If you are really serious about this you should check into a duplicator as kerry56 suggested

I don’t see any way to make it a reliable duplicator either. “Reliable” is the keyword. You’d probably end up with lots of failed/bad burns.

Indeed, look into a dedicated duplicator.