How should I connect my CDROM and HP9300

vbimport

y0w PPL

Some-one I know bought a HP9300i 10 write speed. I tried to burn a few cd's from cd to cd (is that on the fly?) but I it failed.

I have a 32x cdrom player. What is the best way to connect them to get optimal speed??

Now I have it running like this:

primary IDE=Harddrive (master duuuh)
secondary IDE= Burner (master) and CDROM SLAVE

the burner is at the END of the cable and the CDROM player in the middle

thnx

HoLMeZ

p.s. Don't tell me to use diffrent cd's cause I tried a few kinds... and it runs on a p2 333 96 mb ram

You’re CDRom and burner appear to be hooked up properly.

You have to keep in mind that the HP9300i is NOT a SCSI burner. That means when you burn anything make sure that you have your screen saver is off and NOTHING running in the background, such as a virus scanner, or any other program.

You probably already know this, but the safest way to burn is to make a CD image first, and then burn it.

Ciao
Evildoer

Yep you’re right I already know all that stuff about screensaver and all. I just wasnt sure about the connecting shit (I thought it was the best way)

Anyways, I should stick to 4 or 6 speed then… Aah what the hell, just leave the shit on while you watch a teevee show or grab some food ;-))

like in the old days with the 2x speed burners
hehehehe…

If you want to burn on the fly (yes, that is from cd to cd) it is best to hook it up like this:
Primary IDE: HD as master
Primary IDE: CD-ROM as slave
Secondary IDE: Writer as master

Since IDE cables can only send data one way at a time, it is best to hook them up like this when you want to burn on the fly.
Like this you avoid the problem since the data only has to go 1 way.

Djewst

Thanx!

I will try that…

NEVER put a cdrom on the primary ide port!
Your hard drive is a 32 bit access device, the cdrom is 16 bit.
Mix them on the ide port and the port takes the slowest as default, turning your hard drive into 16 bit as well.

Even though me and djewst are both Hardware Freaks members, I have to disagree with him on this.

You never want to put a CD-ROM drive and a HD on the same channel because it DOES slow down the HD, like Black Diamond said.

The best config you can have for an IDE system like HoLMeZ’ is something like this:

Primary IDE <------> Hard Drive (Master)
Secondary IDE <------> CD-ROM Drive (Master)
CD-RW Drive (Slave)

Also, go into your BIOS (delete, F1, etc… at boot), and change the CD-RW Drive to these settings:

Set the PIO to MODE 2, and turn UDMA OFF.

These settings and config will give you the most stable system for writing CDs. Tell me if there is still problems. Also remember to close the backround apps before writing.

I have to third that…
Don’t slave your CD-Rom to your harddrive.
And generally cd-wr’s don’t like to be slaved to anything.

The misconseption about 10 write speed drives is that your system can actually transfer data stabally at 1500/kbs for an extended amount of time. That cd-wr has a 4Mb buffer. Can your sys keep it @ 85% or better? I don’t know what your sys specs are but I belive that the mim requ. for that writer is speced as secondary master/no slave.(Burning @10X from disk image.)

Minimum System Requirements

IBM compatible Pentium (200 MHz), Microsoft Windows 95B, Windows 98, Windows NT Workstation (SP5), 32 MB RAM, 35-226 MB free hard disk space to install software. Sound card required for certain applications.

This is what HP says you can get away with. But it sounds a bit lame to me.

It would be interesting to see how you make out. I thought of getting one of the writers in the fall after intel works out the bugs in the 820/830 chip sets.

You guys are right, my mistake. (sometimes I say things without thinking)
However for the best cd to cd performance I think this is still the best config. Ofcourse the hd’s speed decreasement sucks and is not worth it.
That is why I go SCSI only when CD-ROM’s and CD-writers are concerned, to avoid troubles like this…

Djewst

of course i would recommend SCSI over IDE, but not everyone has a SCSI card.

[This message has been edited by Squage (edited 19 May 2000).]

Thanx u guyz…