How should I back up my DVD's if I want

The best quality copy possible.

The catch: I want to be able to enter the DVD into my drive and regardless of how big the movie is (Dual layer and single layer DVD’s will go through the same inital process…) and in less than a minute or two be done messing with programs and have the DVD decrypting.

I realize that I will have to go through a number of steps and various programs to obtain the best quality copy possible, but initally I want this process only to take a few minutes (besides the time that is actually needed to decrypt the files from the DVD to my HDD.)

I usually go by chickenman’s tutorial. I have all of the programs required for backing up DVD’s as outlined in the following guide, by chickenman. http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=62671

Any suggestions on how to do this?

i’m not sure i understand what you mean by “in less than a minute or two be done messing with programs and have the DVD decrypting,” but if i understand the overall gist of the question correctly, you want a program that will make exact copies of your dvds, regardless of whether they’re single or dual layer. if that’s the case, all you need to do is use dvd decrypter to rip an iso of the disc and then use it to write the iso as well. of course, you’ll have to use dual-layered media for the dual-layered originals.

What is the delay you are trying to eliminate? When I enter a DVD into my drive and run DVDDecrypter, it’s copying unencrypted data to my hard-drive almost right away.

I agree with all responses above, and would encourage you to add some additional info, since it is not at all clear what you mean regarding eliminating the time element.

For what it is worth, I am VERY picky about my video quality. [Three reasons – (a) I always have been this way, (b) I have been spoiled by a lot of high definition viewing, and © I watch on an ISF calibrated 65 inch display.] Because of this, I am always very concerned about preserving the picture quality (and also the audio quality) on all of the backups I make.

Of course, this means compromises must be made, sometimes.

Some solutions:
-Pay for expensive media, and use dual layer burning. No loss of quality, of course, but you have compromised your wallet. I have done this on a few select discs, mostly to learn. My process on these: DVDDecrypter, in ISO mode, to read. Then, DVDDecrypter, in ISO mode, to write. Simple. Makes a virtual exact duplicate, no quality is lost.

-Split all commercial dual layer discs to two DVD blanks. This is what I do the majority of the time. I always buy DVD cases that hold two DVDs, for all of my backups. I am willing to give up the menus. I am also willing to give up extras, to be honest, but I actually am able to get all of the extras, in almost every case.
My process: DVDShrink, to analyze the DVD. Then, I go into “Reauthor” mode on DVDShrink, and I drag only the main movie (at first). In some cases, this will fit on one disc with no compression. However, in most cases, I must then go in and play with the “chapter selection” tool, and fit as much onto that first disc as I can, with no compression. I often de-select foreign language soundtracks and subtitles at this point, as well. I also do not burn ALL of the way to the end of the disc (due to the many reports I have read of problems at the ends of discs). I try to keep things below 4.1 Gig, usually. Then, I rip and burn this first disc, using DVDShrink to rip, and Nero to burn. (If I run into problems due to dirty / scratched originals, or due to the new Sony ARccOS copy protection, I will use DVDDecrypter first, just to rip the entre thing to my hard drive. THEN, I use DVDShrink as described above, only I analyze the files from my hard drive, of course). The total time this takes on MY PART is perhaps 60 to 90 seconds, once it has analyzed. Then, I walk away, and come back when disc one is done.
Now, for disc two… I pop in a second blank. I go into the chapter selection menu, and tell the program to begin with the first chapter AFTER the previous run. I change the end point to the final chapter. Then, I highlight all EXTRAS, and simply drag them over to begin after the main movie. I select “No compression,” and begin. Total time = perhaps 60 to 90 seconds, again. I walk away, and return to a completed second disc.
Compromises? Of course. I must change discs once each movie. It is always at a chapter break, and I do not mind this at all, personally. Also, most backups cost me about 98 cents, instead of 63 cents.
The math: one disc backup… 35 cents for a blank, plus 28 cents for a case to put it in, equals 63 cents.
two disc backup (my way)… 70 cents for two blank DVDs, plus 28 cents for the case to put them in, equals 98 cents.

I am in the minority, as most others seem to prefer to try to get it all on one disc. This brings me to Solution 3.
-Solution 3. There are those who lose the extras, and only select the main movie. Then, some of those people get rid of directors’ commentaries, DTS soundtracks, foreign audio streams, and in lots of cases they leave only one soundtrack. This allows them to fit MOST films onto one disc with no additional compression, or with VERY little compression. I would do this, except, I would not lose the 5.1 soundtracks, and I would also never lose a DTS soundtrack. And, since I find that most of my films need to be split (if I need the 5.1), and I do not mind splitting in the least, I end up throwing in the extras for the fun of it. Mine play automatically after the film on disc two. Or, I can skip ahead to them, if I wish.

I am not mentioning the most popular type of backup, since it goes against your stated desire to keep a high quality picture.

Just my thoughts,

-Bruce in Chi-Town

Alright, I’ll bite. I’m interested in a high quality picture.
I would love to hear your advice on that subject.

David

David:

Actually, the “most popular” method of backing up is NOT the one that yields a high quality. The most popular method merely involves compressing the original so that a dual layer disc will fit onto a single layer blank. It may be the most popular method, but it is not the best method for me (nor is it for you, from the sound of it).

(NOTE: David’s question has also been answered via private message, wherein I described my own favorite method of splitting dual layer discs out to two blank DVDR discs.)

-Bruce