How reliable are verb disks for storage?

Hi guys
I started buying a lot of these Verb DVD-R 50 Packs .
MCC02RG20
Are these good as well to play in dvd players, a lot, without losing its value in storage or if it does?

Wanted something for long term storage, been using a lot of memorex,sony dvds. I have some dvds , lasted couple of years already.

Verbs seems to burn ok, no errors,crc or anything from 100 dvdrs. I have memorex/Lg dual dvd drives. Just wondering.

MCC 02RG20 is reputed to have excellent reflectivity for use in standalone players and overall is a good MID to use. I think if you store and handle them well they will last for quite some time.

According to C’t testing, MCC02RG20 are among the most stable discs you can buy. My personal experience with these discs is excellent. Not always the prettiest PIE/PIF scans, but actual usability, compatibility and stability are top-notch, superior to TYG02 and on par with YUDEN000T02.

This said, the stability of the [I]Made in India[/I] MCC02RG20 Verbies is a big question mark. Mine seem to be stable. But as these M.I.I. discs can be quite variable in quality, it’s only logical to be cautious and not expect the same behaviour from them in terms of stability. :doh: So for long-term storage, I recommend you buy only [I]Made in Taiwan[/I] Verbs. :cool:

I’ve got some of my backups on MII Verbies. I’ll let you know in 6 months how they’re doing. :slight_smile:

BTW, welcome to CDF, stormie :flower:

Are they MCC004 Verbies, Arachne? :slight_smile:

The MCC02RG20 Verbs are pretty good, you picked one of the safest discs around :slight_smile:

They are indeed :slight_smile:

As others have said, these are among the best DVDs you can buy, they are widely compatible with burners and DVD players, and are among the most stable over time.

I’ve never had any MCC 02RG20 Made in India, so I don’t know how they are compared to the same media code Made in Taiwan, but I don’t think there are any MCC 02RG20 Made in India on the North American market anyway.

Welcome to CDFreaks, stormie! :slight_smile:

I don’t think there’s any SL MII Verbie media in NA, is there?

Although I know MII DL Verbies have cropped up there :eek:

IIRC, 50 spindles of MII MCC004 have appeared in NA :slight_smile:

I have had MII MCC02RG20 - sandpaper like scratches on almost all of the discs rendering them almost useless :a

Thanks for the info, Kev! I’ll have to remember that :slight_smile:

My local Microcenter’s Verbatim stock is now easily 80% MII and 20% MIT

The prettiest MCC-004 scans I’ve ever had were from a MII Verb 50pc spindle, but I only saw them the once. No Microcenter in my part of the U.S., either.

Haha, pretty as in pretty colours ;), or pretty as in a good burn?

Just reinstalled my Sammy SH-S182D, that likes the MII MCC004s. :cool:

My best DVD media ever has been this early batch of Verbatim 16x DVD+R (MCC 004) Made in India. :clap:

First scan is the same day the disc was burned.
Second scan is made today, 10 months later.

The scan is made on the same drive (at 16x!) which has been moved from an external enclosure to internal. This impacts the amount of samples which for the external drive at 16x would be approximately 2.35 ECC between samples (based on my experience with this setup) while this internal scan is at 1.37 ECC between samples.

The method for calculating averages has changed between the two CDSpeed versions, so averages should be ignored.

The totals should be normalized like this:

<TABLE style=“WIDTH: 396pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse” cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=526 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style=“WIDTH: 48pt” span=3 width=64><COL style=“WIDTH: 92pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 4461” width=122><COL style=“WIDTH: 80pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3876” span=2 width=106><TBODY><TR style=“HEIGHT: 12.75pt” height=17><TD style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” width=64 height=17></TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” width=64>Total PIE</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” width=64>Total PIF</TD><TD class=xl24 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 92pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” width=122>Scan Interval (ECC)</TD><TD class=xl25 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 80pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” width=106>Normalized PIE</TD><TD class=xl25 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 80pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” width=106>Normalized PIF</TD></TR><TR style=“HEIGHT: 12.75pt” height=17><TD class=xl23 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” height=17>Original</TD><TD class=xl22 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:num>1528</TD><TD class=xl22 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:num>16</TD><TD class=xl22 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:num=“2.35”>2.35</TD><TD class=xl26 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:num=“3590.8” x:fmla="=B2D2">3591</TD><TD class=xl26 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:num=“37.6” x:fmla="=C2D2">38</TD></TR><TR style=“HEIGHT: 12.75pt” height=17><TD class=xl23 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” height=17>Rescan</TD><TD class=xl22 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:num>2619</TD><TD class=xl22 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:num>27</TD><TD class=xl22 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:num=“1.37”>1.37</TD><TD class=xl26 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:num=“3588.03” x:fmla="=B3D3">3588</TD><TD class=xl26 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent” x:num=“36.99” x:fmla="=C3D3">37</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

There’s no degradation at all in those 10 months!

This does not mean that other batches of this media will do as well; in fact I’ve had a batch of Verbatim 16x DVD+R Made in India that had very problematic quality beyond 4 GB on almost every DVD.

Pretty as in “take a look at the scans Drage posted.” :slight_smile: I motored through the spindle with a new DW1640 and thought I had the best burner in the world. Then I stumbled on my first batch of Prodisc MCC-004 and realized it wasn’t the burner… the Prodisc scans were pretty the other way. :bigsmile:

The PIF count has almost doubled! Why do you say there is no degradation? :confused:

Just kidding of course :bigsmile: (actually, er… kinda making fun of some posts I’ve seen around the forum, as some of you have probably guessed :stuck_out_tongue: )

Sidenote: this is a great example of how different scanning setups can lead to wrong interpretations of scans : because of the different software version and the different hardware setup, you have a higher PIE count and a lower PIE average… :rolleyes: LOL

Edit second sidenote: never had such great scans with MCC004, up to this day only with RICOHJPNR01 did I get such low PIE levels and counts. :bow:

Kidding aside, you forgot to take the normalized values into account; the raw values should not be compared directly since they are produced at different scanning intervals (sample counts).

I’d say that normalized PIF totals of 38 and 37 are pretty stable.
Or perhaps the PIF will be zero at 370 months from now? :stuck_out_tongue:

It would have been more impressive if it was a 16x burn :stuck_out_tongue: