How old is your monitor?

vbimport

My nephew got me wondering about this over the weekend. He was using my backup computer and watching movies most of the time, and the monitor on that machine is close to ten years old now. Its a BenQ 24" monitor, TN panel, so while its fast for games, angle of view leaves something to be desired.

And even my primary computer monitor is getting old…a 26" Samsung, (also TN panel) that I’ve had for at least seven years now. I’ve replaced so many other pieces of equipment, but haven’t touched the monitors at all. I guess there just hasn’t been an overwhelming need or an improvement that would justify it.

But I have a video card that will support a 4k monitor now, and maybe its time to start thinking about moving that direction. Still pretty expensive for an IPS 4K in the 27" range that I would want.

So, are you guys like me, doing improvements on your computers continually but neglecting the monitors, or have you moved on to something that puts the older LCD models to shame?

22" with a TN panel for my old Fujitsu Siemens monitor, all this from the good old 2007, and it appears that I am getting close to the ten years mark, and yes it sucks and yes there isnt any plan on upgrading :).

I would love to get a 4K monitor but I am afraid that would want it to be a 32" and from what I have read this is the best size to get a 4K monitor.
I’ll have to wait and see how prices will go down here (if that happens), and then decide what to do.

I recently upgraded my monitor to a Dell 2715Q 27 inch IPS 4K screen.
The screen is stunning, but unless your eyesight is exceptional you wont be able to run at native 4K unless you use DPI scaling.

DPI scaling in Windows 10 is very good, but not perfect in some older applications.
I have DPI scaling set at 125% which gives a lots of Windows desktop space, and text is nice and sharp and easy to read.

27 inch is the largest I can accommodate, but I agree with vroom, that a 32 inch screen for 4K would probably be the minimum to use comfortably at native 4K.

BTW: DPI scaling does not effect native 4K video playback, you still get that at native 4K, and it looks awesome on the Dell 2715Q…

10 years next year.
The monitor I currently share among my servers/ripstation through a Athens CS-1734A KVM switch is an Acer AL2216W 22" monitor. It was chosen due to supporting 1680x1050 screen resolution found on my laptop (I think it was 2007 and the laptop was a ThinkPad T500).
The rest is laptops these days and since I mostly remote to the servers, I have no use for a 4k screen yet :flower:

Mine is a BenQ FP241W 24" which was a rather expensive monitor at its time. I was quite surprised also to find that I bought it 7.5 years ago as it doesn’t seem like that long ago!

The main problem I have is space as this monitor already overlaps part of each speaker as they are also quite large (Hercules XPS 2.0 80 DJ set). Hercules call them monitors also, but for the sake of this thread, I call them speakers. :smiley:

The vast majority of what I watch is in 720p or 1080p, although it would be nice having 4K for viewing and editing photos as well as for the extra workspace. For now, I’ll probably not replace my monitor until it either dies or good quality 4K displays became affordable to the point where I’ll take the splurge like I did with the speakers during last Amazon’s Black Friday.

My workplace monitor ended up being a different story. I’ve been working on content for pull-up banner displays and have been telling my manager several times that I really need a better monitor for this. In addition do being a basic 8-year old 21" TN display which had brightness shifts across the viewing angle, it had slight colour shifts according to what was displayed, e.g. dark grey appeared slightly green while light grey appeared slightly red. No amount of RGB adjustments would fix any of that. In fact, I even borrowed a Spyder3 Elite colour calibrator and its calibration profile was only able to provide a minor improvement in the colour shifting.

After spending a few hundred Euro on banner prints, my manager learned the hard way. The printed images were quite out on colour, e.g. a dark green in some areas appeared nearly black (since dark grey on my screen appeared dark green!), reds were over saturated and so on. He finally had an IPS screen ordered and when I set the two screens side-by-side in Clone mode to show what I had to put up with editing that content, the difference between the two were like night and day. The IPS display showed the artwork just like how it ended up being printed. After re-editing the work and getting new banners reprinted, they all came out fine. :wink:

I haven’t had a monitor in years. I use laptops and/or the lcd television. :slight_smile:

At work 25" Acer lcd about 2 years ( upgrade from 22" )

At home I have a 25" monitor about 4 years along side a 32 " LCD TV had it about 5 years now.

[QUOTE=vroom;2772631]I would love to get a 4K monitor but I am afraid that would want it to be a 32" and from what I have read this is the best size to get a 4K monitor.[/QUOTE]

I upgraded to an LG 27" 4k monitor last December and found that it isn’t without problems in practical use. The resolution and color rendition is stunning but the scaling has issues with many of the older programs I use. Even programs like Adobe Acrobat XI has issues with scaling. I ended up running it in 2560x1440 in order to mitigate the scaling problems. IMO, even a 32" screen might be too small in some circumstances. With the price of 4k TVs dropping, I might try a 40" 4k TV with a 2.0/60hz HDMI connection as a monitor. If it doesn’t work out then I will use it as a TV.

[QUOTE=Seán;2772649]The vast majority of what I watch is in 720p or 1080p, although it would be nice having 4K for viewing and editing photos as well as for the extra workspace.[/QUOTE]

I have edited photos in 4k and for this use the monitor I have is fantastic. Many people focus on the resolution of 4k but to me the color rendition is equally as impressive. Depending on what I do, I switch between 2560x1440 and 4k resolutions.

[QUOTE=UTR;2772656]I ended up running it in 2560x1440 in order to mitigate the scaling problems. [B]IMO, even a 32" screen might be too small in some circumstances[/B]. With the price of 4k TVs dropping, I might try a 40" 4k TV with a 2.0/60hz HDMI connection as a monitor. If it doesn’t work out then I will use it as a TV.[/QUOTE]

Thats would worry me if I had any plans on buying a 4K monitor, the TV solutions sound OK if you dont want to play games, or do some serious work with video and photos, and as you said you can always use it as a TV :wink:

[QUOTE=vroom;2772659]Thats would worry me if I had any plans on buying a 4K monitor, the TV solutions sound OK if you dont want to play games, or do some serious work with video and photos, and as you said you can always use it as a TV ;)[/QUOTE]

I bought a 4K Samsung Curved Screen TV/ monitor that has an HDMI input and the picture is amazing, it was only 589.00 for the 42" and I have it mounted on the wall with my desk about 4 ft back. The picture couldnt be better.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2772663]I bought a 4K Samsung Curved Screen TV/ monitor that has an HDMI input and the picture is amazing, it was only 589.00 for the 42" and I have it mounted on the wall with my desk about 4 ft back. The picture couldnt be better.[/QUOTE]

Alan, how is the scaling on a screen that size? Is it similar to 1080p on a 24" monitor?

[QUOTE=UTR;2772672]Alan, how is the scaling on a screen that size? Is it similar to 1080p on a 24" monitor?[/QUOTE]

To me it’s much better because I like to sit away from the screen and I can see everything like I was looking out a window

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2772630]My nephew got me wondering about this over the weekend. He was using my backup computer and watching movies most of the time, and the monitor on that machine is close to ten years old now. Its a BenQ 24" monitor, TN panel, so while its fast for games, angle of view leaves something to be desired.

And even my primary computer monitor is getting old…a 26" Samsung, (also TN panel) that I’ve had for at least seven years now. I’ve replaced so many other pieces of equipment, but haven’t touched the monitors at all. I guess there just hasn’t been an overwhelming need or an improvement that would justify it.

But I have a video card that will support a 4k monitor now, and maybe its time to start thinking about moving that direction. Still pretty expensive for an IPS 4K in the 27" range that I would want.

So, are you guys like me, doing improvements on your computers continually but neglecting the monitors, or have you moved on to something that puts the older LCD models to shame?[/QUOTE]

2012 ViewSonic VA2703 27". This PC build has a EVGA GTX 760 which is the same vid card from my last build. No need to upgrade vid card/monitor yet. I’m not a huge gamer.
Jeff

[QUOTE=alan1476;2772676]To me it’s much better because I like to sit away from the screen and I can see everything like I was looking out a window[/QUOTE]

How much distance from the monitor does this size screen give you? Also, what scale factor do you use in Windows?

[QUOTE=UTR;2772684]How much distance from the monitor does this size screen give you? Also, what scale factor do you use in Windows?[/QUOTE]

I leave it at 3840-x-2160. I can go up to 6Ft with my glasses on. LOL

[QUOTE=alan1476;2772699]I leave it at 3840-x-2160. I can go up to 6Ft with my glasses on. LOL[/QUOTE]

It’s even more dramatic via spy satellite Alan. They can read your monitor from 3,000 miles away! :wink: :bigsmile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

They would be very bored

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=alan1476;2772727]They would be very bored

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

It would probably surprise you what those guys are interested in. :eek: :bigsmile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

My monitor
40" Sony Bravia wall mounted

still have a crt but they say they are superior to flat screens.