How much would you pay for a used PX-716UF?

vbimport

How much would you pay for a cosmetically perfect Plextor PX-716UF with a usage of 1.20.34C and 13.26.19D with nothing else but the unit, power pack, and usb/firewire cables? How high are you willing to purchase it for?

I’m excited since this is the first time I’ve seen a real Plex sold locally! I want your opinions please. :wink:

TLA number? :wink:

Also, isn’t 13+ hours of burn time kind of on the high side?

The most I would pay would be $40 USD.

I would say 40-50$.
13 hours isn’t new, but considering that my 760A has 46h on it :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=negritude;2182030]TLA number? ;)[/QUOTE]

A quick remark on this: Serial and TLA# of the drive inside the enclosure and the drive/enclosure-combination are two different things. So Drive No. 342543 may be inside enlcosure 000234. If you want to know the Serial/TLA# of the drive inside a “UF” enclosure you’ll have to use the RMA-Info tool. Note that it will not give you the original TLA# on the sticker but the TLA# according to the Firmware currently stored in the drive (a drive that is labelled #0202 on the sticker with FW 1.11 will return #0211).

Thanks for the response y’all. $40 was what I was asking for it, but the seller’s having second thoughts on my offer. I told him how quick the value goes down for heavily used items but he keeps insisting that it is a Plextor and asks for $120, reasoning that he got it for $250 etc etc. Sheesh.

No idea on the TLA, I asked him to check the drive usage on his own and haven’t got the opportunity to look at the item personally. I asked him to give me a ring when he accepts MY offer. I’m not that stupid to buy his overpriced Plextor (even though it is the only one available locally) - I’ve got other things to spend that extra $80 on! (Maybe, like, another BenQ :p)

$120 :eek: USED :disagree:

The guy finally wants to sell the drive to me for $80 after trying to sell it at $120 for 2months. :stuck_out_tongue: TLA is 0309, manufactured on March 2006. Should I get it now? Or should I still haggle? :stuck_out_tongue: It seems as if no one wants to get it since new internal drives are only $20 and the most expensive new external drives only cost $50-60. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m pretty happy with my 716UF TLA #0309 manuf March 2006: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f43/brand-new-716uf-off-ebay-263369/

[QUOTE=evo69;2227628]The guy finally wants to sell the drive to me for $80 after trying to sell it at $120 for 2months. :stuck_out_tongue: TLA is 0309, manufactured on March 2006. Should I get it now? Or should I still haggle? :stuck_out_tongue: It seems as if no one wants to get it since new internal drives are only $20 and the most expensive new external drives only cost $50-60. :p[/QUOTE]

A used 716 is not worth that much, and the danger of it dying or failing to recognize media at some point is too high of a risk (the 716 has a checkered history). Used 716s are a risky model that I would avoid. If you want a used Plextor, then try to find a 755 or 760, which are much more reliable.

If you still want to chance it, then tell him that $50 is your FINAL OFFER. Take it or leave it.

Then be prepared to walk away and not look back.

You have been WARNED. :cop:

If a 716 is still working now it’s probably one without problems. Apart from that all drives (resp. their Laser) die from old age sooner or later.

As for price, one thing to consider is that you’ll get the drive in a USB/FW enclosure compared to nowadays external drives, that only come in USB enclosures. So there is extra value but it’s up to you to decide if it’s what you want to pay for.

I got it for $55 :stuck_out_tongue: I probably wouldn’t be finding another Plextor here locally since most people here just buy what’s the cheapest available and don’t care for the Plextor brand that much. PXInfo shows:

ID 0 (H:) PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A V1.09 (S/N:893xxx) (1.22.21C - 14.37.53D)

… which means it was used for another hour for DVDs since I last inquired about it. Hopefully this means this drive will last me ages since it still works so well. :stuck_out_tongue: If it breaks I’m cannibalizing the USB/FW enclosure and use it for my BenQs! :bigsmile: I love USB/FW enclosures, and would rather use FW instead of USB whenever possible. :slight_smile:

I’m off to test this thing! :smiley:

Now that I have this drive, what do I need to do some serious testing with it? PlexTools Professional XL 3.13?

Ummm… are Plextor drives this picky about media? I have some ATIP/MID that’s not in the media compatibility list (http://www.plextor.be/technicalservices/technology/recmedia.asp?choice=Supported%20media) so does that mean I won’t be able to use them at all? The drive just spits them out. :stuck_out_tongue: I wanted to use some cheap discs for some test burns LOL. :smiley:

I wouldn’t worry too much about the total recording times.
My PX-760A has 2.0.35D - [B]52[/B].27.36D right now and is still working fine.

What media did you try? My Plextors are not picky about media.

[QUOTE=Womi;2228258]I wouldn’t worry too much about the total recording times.
My PX-760A has 2.0.35D - [B]52[/B].27.36D right now and is still working fine.[/quote]

:clap: I hope mine lasts as long as yours! :smiley:

[QUOTE=Womi;2228258]What media did you try? My Plextors are not picky about media.[/QUOTE]

I take it back, there must be something substandard with some of the media I’ve tried since different discs of the same MID/ATIP work now. The flakey ones were an empty [U]Sony 97:24:16[/U] (which I think must’ve been stored too long/old media), an empty [U]Prodisc 97:32:19[/U] (which has a Black Substrate - the Plexie might not like that at all), a burned [U]CMC 97:26:66[/U] (TDK brand, burned with I can’t remember which drive), another empty [U]Prodisc 97:32:19[/U] (Maxell - dirty dirty dirty), and a few other ATIPs (that mostly worked - if they were pristine).

As for DVD MIDs, an MCC 03RG20 got the “2 amber blink” treatment, but I guess that was also damaged since it was the disc following the one which had a cracked-hub, the one I posted in the thread Another odd Verbatim disk. Everything else was detected, and I’m still kinda figuring out how to operate a Plex and understand its functions… and seeing if this thing can reach 16x, a feat that I’ve yet to achieve with any of my external drives. :stuck_out_tongue:

PS. Having to use PlexTools Professional XL 3.16 after getting used to CD/DVD Speed is like learning another language. I’ve no idea if I should tweak any of the settings (which mostly I don’t understand) and the graphs/results are somewhat similar but confusing… :confused:

Hmmm… My PX-716UF’s buffer always runs out when using USB on a VMWare Windows XP virtual machine using my Mac Pro. While there’s no way to know if the buffer quits using Toast under Mac OS X (and I’m not sure if Dragon Burn’s buffer bars are real-time since I’ve never seen them move), I might try using it with my Vista laptop (if it even gets detected using FW!) to see if it’s a virtual machine issue and not with the drive’s buffer.

I’m so wishing I had a separate Windows box for testing - and Boot Camp’s out of the question. :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=evo69;2228292]PS. Having to use PlexTools Professional XL 3.16 after getting used to CD/DVD Speed is like learning another language. I’ve no idea if I should tweak any of the settings (which mostly I don’t understand) and the graphs/results are somewhat similar but confusing… :confused:[/QUOTE]Post some scans so i can nit pick :wink: i’m a real stickler on adjusting scan graph’s. I always adjust the graph so that the highest error(s) are close to the top. I don’t use the default limits so that we can see the errors close up. If the highest error is say 28 click on Preferences and set the graph to 30 or 28 if you want to. That just makes it nicer to look at than having the graph set at 100 when the highest error is 30. For Beta/Jitter use ± 0.05 i believe. You can adjust the graphs at any time ie… before/during/after scanning.

Also include the error counts please. Not just the graph only in other words.

Anyway have fun with it :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=evo69;2228292]As for DVD MIDs, an MCC 03RG20 got the “2 amber blink” treatment, but I guess…[/QUOTE]

Sigh…

[QUOTE=Womi;2228258]My Plextors are not picky about media.[/QUOTE]

Do you own a 716A or 716UF? If not, then you can’t compare it. The 716 has a well-known history of problems with media detection.

A PX-716x that’s acting picky about media could possibly fail at any moment (by fail I mean fail to read any or most media). This is what I tried to warn about.

Here’s an ATIP that I can’t make an AS of:

Daxon Technology Inc (type 7), 79:59:74

…Imgburn errors out even before starting the burn with a “semaphore error”, CD/DVD Speed says it the “logical unit” times out, PlexTools Disc Copy has a “Write Error at 99:58:00 Unspecified Error (code 000000)”, Nero tries starting the burn but stops and says that the “Device is not available” and that a “Reset has occurred”.

I’m stumped, does the drive just doesn’t like Daxon CD-Rs or is there something wrong with the unit? The disc gets recognized without the dreaded 2 amber blink code that I’ve encountered before… :confused:

Ok, Dragon Burn on Mac OS X did the job and burned that Daxon with no hitches. From what I understand AS is used on unknown discs, but does it include CDs? After burning with Dragon Burn there’s still no AS for Daxon… maybe because it’s only for DVDs? :confused: :stuck_out_tongue:

My Plextor n00bness is definitely showing… :smiley: And I don’t think I’ll be using this much with virtual machines under Mac OS X which is quite disappointing since I’ve had little problems with my other Mac-connected writers under VMWare Fusion… :frowning: It might be the weird non-standard features that’s disagreeing with the VM since I’ve yet to run into any problems with using it natively on Mac OS X…