How much upgrading is too much?

vbimport

I can’t believe I’m suggesting there might be such a thing as too much upgrading but I’m looking at getting a new PC and don’t want to waste money. It’s an I7 quad core with 2600 3.4ghz CPU, dual channel 8gb ram, 1TB sata 3 7200 rpm HDD, Intel H67chipset (whatever that means) and USB3 ports (of course lol) I mainly read stuff on here, d/l from vuze etc and transfer lots of stuff to external hard drives for work (and play hehe). I can upgrade to a 2600K unlocked multiplier cpu, p67 or z68 motherboard, 16gb ram, 2 or 3 TB hard drive, wireless network instead of 10/100/1000 gb lan (I don’t know what this means either) and either 32 or 64 bit windows 7. Is any of this going to be worth doing, ie make my d/l ing and transferring faster and can someone pls explain what difference it will make between the wireless network or lan and 32 or 64 bit windows? The only games I play are cards and sudoku etc and I don’t watch movies or stuff on it. PLEASE HELP ME NOT WASTE MONEY BUT GET AWESOME PC!!

3TB is nice, but it takes a while before a 1TB hdd is full.
Your transfering speed is your internet speed. This system is more than enough to handle everything.

More info about 64 bit.
More info about WiFi.

Thanks Mr Belvedere, I won’t even fill 1tb as I don’t store anything on it - it gets put on external drives and erased. Confused though, what does my transfer speed have to do with internet speed? It doesn’t use the internet, unless you meant to say download speed?

[QUOTE=Epona;2604820]Thanks Mr Belvedere, I won’t even fill 1tb as I don’t store anything on it - it gets put on external drives and erased. Confused though, what does my transfer speed have to do with internet speed? It doesn’t use the internet, unless you meant to say download speed?[/QUOTE]
My apologies, i was sure you meant the transfer download speed.

For network transfer speed, it is beneficial to have a 1 Gbit network. It’s not that pricey. This means 1 Gbit Network Interface Cards (NIC) in your machines, 1Gbit switches and UTP cables certified for 1Gbit througput (like type Cat 6), For wireless the highest standard today is Wifi 802.11n, which is 300MBps at max.

If you want to have the highest possible transfer speed inside your computer, then i’d suggest SATA 3 SSD harddisks or SATA harddisks with the highest possible RPM (10k rpm) and throughput. USB 3.0 for external devices.

For what you are going to be doing a store bought $400-$500 computer with USB3 and maybe add up to 4GB of memory should be ample.

To get you to AWESOME and give you a computer that’s much faster for your purposes, the main ingredient will be the USB 3.0 ports and upgrading your external enclosures to USB 3.0. This alone will make your transfer speeds likely at least 3 times faster than what you have now.

If you are currently connected to the internet through a cable/DSL modem or router, the only thing that will speed up your d/l’s is a faster internet connection(or more people seeding your d/l :wink: ). The 10/100/1000 LAN is just the interface in your computer that the ethernet cable from your router/modem plugs into to allow your computer to communicate with it on your Local Area Network. If you find you need wireless at a later date for a new e-reader, laptop, etc., you can simply get a wireless router.

You need win 64 bit to make use of your 8 GB of memory.

You do not need any of the upgrades you mentioned, but you do need to upgrade to an SSD boot drive in addition to your 1TB hard drive. There is no other upgrade that can even come close in taking that computer all the way to !AWESOME! :slight_smile: