How much to shrink without loosing quality

vbimport

Hey guys… i imagine this has been asked a thousand times

but i just wanted to know what is a percentage i should stay over when shrinking…basically a percentage where you wont noitice a diff in the quality shrinkage…

basically…
what % do u guys strick to/use

thanx for your feedback

btw
im sorry for posting about dvdshrink in here… i thought it was the closest option…, as ive seen a few post about dvd shrink in here aswell
admins… if u need to move this… please feel free to do so

A question like this is best answered by yourself, as to what you prefer when you back either a movie or TV season onto a blank & then view it. For a movie only I stick to around 70% plus, but for a TV season, I will dip down to 50% plus because DLs ain’t cheap, but with some of the older shows released on Dvd you will notice a big difference when you go to watch them. I also use this guide, courtesy of jellybean. Less than 65% = Maximum Smooth, 65-80% = Smooth, 80-90% = (Default) Sharp, 90-99.9% = Maximum Sharpness.

dvd shrink is the best in terms of quality & speed. it is highly customisable,lite , powerful and the best thing is it’s free. Even at fast settings it gives better quality than any other software in the market. so look no further and download it at :-
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/DV…:wink:

I have to disagree on saying DVDShrink is the best on quality. It is fast, but the quality of its output can be beaten rather easily by any good encoding program. The only cost is a little more time.

I never use Shrink when its scale goes to the 80’s. I rarely use it between 90 and 95. DVDRebuilder, even the free version, using the HC encoder will produce better results. I use DVDRebuilder Pro in combination with Procoder.

If you never play back your copies on a big screen, you might never notice the difference. If you do go to a large lcd or plasma, the differences will be apparent. Why not make your copies to the highest standard if you are going to the trouble of backing up your dvds?

hmm
thanx for the input… i just relaised where this thread sghould of went… lol

Club CD Freaks - Knowledge is Power > International Chat: Software related > Copy DVD Movie

admins move if possible thanx

well in just checked one of the movies… they go to about 73%
which i reckon quite a jump… and that is with dvdshrink

im guessing there will be a noticeably in quality

i wuld love to back them up properly… but dual layers dvds in australia are still too expensive… over a big period of burning…but however for amovie that i love… i wont hesistate to use dual layer

just thinking if i should give dvdrebuilder a go

which software is the most popular and comon one people use
?..

cheers charlie

DVDFab Platinum or Gold, CloneDVD2 and DVDShrink are all popular programs for compressing your dvd video backups. DVD2One slightly less so, though I’ve heard many praise the results you can get with it. Shrink is the free one of those, and does a pretty good job for a transcoder, despite the fact that development stopped on it almost 4 yrs ago now.

You can probably put me in the lunatic fringe group who require the highest quality possible for their compressed backups, but with the faster computers that are available now, you can use DVDRebuilder and the HC encoder in a reasonable amount of time. It takes me about 60-80 minutes to backup a movie using DVDRebuilder anymore, so that is not too high a price in time for me. I’m using a Core2 Duo machine that is only mid range speed…2.7ghz. Procoder set on Mastering level is a fairly slow encoder, but it does the job in that time frame also.

At least I’m not so crazy as to insist on dual layer for everything. :slight_smile: Or splitting to two single layer dvds for all backups.

In the end, you have to decide for yourself what quality is acceptable. Many view backups as a temporary fix…something that can be remade if necessary. I’d just rather do it right the first time.

You should try the free version of DVDRebuilder. Use the HC encoder and you will get excellent results. The free version is not as versatile as the commercial one and lacks some options I normally use. If I remember correctly, it won’t give you the option to do the main movie only, so you have to rip it to the hard drive in that configuration before compressing. Neither version of Rebuilder comes with a decryption/ripping function, so you have to use it in conjunction with other tools, like DVDFab HD Decrypter, or AnyDVD.

how much to shrink without loosing quality

Is impossible, any conversion process includes quality degradiation.

Kerry56

ive installed dvd rebuilder
when asked about whicch cce to use… i selected pro coder 2.0

is that correct?

thanx

Kerry56

ive installed dvd rebuilder
when asked about whicch cce to use… i selected canopos pro coder 2.0

is that correct?

thanx

Horze
Both CCE and Procoder are commercial encoders which would have to be purchased separately from Rebuilder. If you don’t have either, simply go to Mode in DVDRebuilder and set the encoder to HC Encoder Mode. The HC encoder is included with both the Pro and free versions of Rebuilder.

You should also look in Options, and set the encoding speed for HC. I use Best, which gives the highest quality, but is also the slowest.

ahh ok…
you use pro coder dont u?

which has to be purchased seperately aswell… even when u got pro rebuilder?

thanx

[QUOTE=enrich2u;2028404]dvd shrink is the best in terms of quality & speed. it is highly customisable,lite , powerful and the best thing is it’s free. Even at fast settings it gives better quality than any other software in the market. so look no further and download it at :- LINK REMOVED
[/QUOTE]

This forum relates purely to DVD2One and is hardly the right place to be promoting alternative software.

You are also incorrect as DVD2One is, and always has been, the fastest transcoder available.

Try it head to head against DVD Shrink and it will leave it for dead.

The quality is in my opinion also slightly superior to DVD Shrink on best quality settings but that’s open to debate as there’s not much in it.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Horze;2031265]ahh ok…
you use pro coder dont u?

which has to be purchased seperately aswell… even when u got pro rebuilder?

thanx[/QUOTE]

Go with the HC Encoder as Kerry56 recommends.

It’s very highly regarded and recent versions are widely considered as superior to other encoders.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[quote=Wombler;2033503]This forum relates purely to DVD2One and is hardly the right place to be promoting alternative software.

You are also incorrect as DVD2One is, and always has been, the fastest transcoder available.

Try it head to head against DVD Shrink and it will leave it for dead.

The quality is in my opinion also slightly superior to DVD Shrink on best quality settings but that’s open to debate as there’s not much in it.

[B]Wombler[/B][/quote]
You will get no debate from me, I have always liked DVD2One, but for the life of me I cannot understand how this program, is less than 1mb in size and does what it does.:confused:

It’s written in very low level code. This accounts for its size and speed. It’s a helluva credit to evdberg.

Having said that, other posters have suggested high quality encoders - which will beat a transcoder every time.

The OP asked about % - this is meaningless, as it is a single number. See here. You need to know the original BR, final quant, etc. It is not as trivial as a single number.

Regards