How much memory?

How much memory (SD) is it suitable for me to have with a P3 800? also, 100 or 133 mhz?

How would the values differ for different processors?

What you plan on going to do with your pc ?

multimedia takes a lott of memory
how much mb’s you need depends a lott on which programms you gonna use

100 mhz or 133 mhz depends on your system, but 133 mhz work on a 100mhz(fsb) system also.
Go for 133 mhz to be safe

if you have enough money go for 512, but min. 256mb.

AFAIK, the PIII 800 does not support 133 MHz FSB (Unless it’s the EB series). If 133 RAM costs more in your area than the 100 FSB RAM, it may not be worth it.

On the other hand, if you can upgrade your processor to the 833 or 966 MHz, buying 133MHz RAM is a must. In which case, make sure your motherboard supports 133 FSB.

Here’s an indicative list for how much RAM you’ll need:

Win 98/Me + Gaming / Multimedia : 512 MB (More than this is pointless)

Win 2000 + Gaming : 512 min, 1024 max

For both the above: No gaming / MM - 256 MB should be sufficient.

Win XP + Gaming: Can work with 512 (No games / MM) , but suggested min is 1024MB (and virtual mem setting off). XP is extremely resource hungry. Must be getting more greedy like M$ :stuck_out_tongue:

In general, the higher the clock speed of your processor, higher should be the FSB / RAM MHz. This will let you extract the max possible from your investment in the CPU :smiley:

HTH

well, i burn cds, play pc games, edit video files and watch scvd via winDVD.

I have 2x 64MB SD pc100
and 1x 128mb sd pc133

seems to be ok.

I think i ought to get rid of 1 64mb and replace it with a 256mb (to make a RAM slot free)

thanks all

any comments on

SD vs. DDR ram, and does your m/b need to have special support for DDR or will it just accept it. (i suspect the mobo needs to support it)

Originally posted by burnproof
…the PIII 800 does not support 133 MHz FSB (Unless it’s the EB series…

My friend POS Gateway from 1999 runs 500 MHz on a 133 bus. And no, it is NOT an EB series! The BIOS says so and so do the checksums!

Originally posted by shuebhussain
I have 2x 64MB SD pc100
and 1x 128mb sd pc133

It usually isn’t the best idea to add 133 MHz ram to existing 100 MHz RAM. Because one is slower than the other, the 133 RAM clocks DOWN so the PC100 modules don’t work as hard. My suggestion: upgrade to ALL 133 MHz!

As long as your mainboard supports it, go for all 133Mhz modules. Get rid of those PC100 modules.

About the amount of memory: since you are using to edit video files, quite some memory is needed. When using WinXP or Win2k I’d advice you to buy 1 512MB dimm and use it besided the 128MB dimm you got now… that should do it.

For 9x/ME use, upgrade to 385MB.

ill put the 2x64 pc100 in my old PC and buy a 512 or 256 PC133

Thanks btw :slight_smile:

Originally posted by cmr0112x
[B]

My friend POS Gateway from 1999 runs 500 MHz on a 133 bus. And no, it is NOT an EB series! The BIOS says so and so do the checksums! [/B]

amazing…but it has a (something)B then.

The “B” differentiates 133 MHz front side bus processors from 100 MHz front side bus processors of the same speed. The “E” differentiates 0.18-micron from 0.25-micron processors of the same speed.)

whats faster ??? RD ram or DDR ram. (or are they the same thing )

rd is faster, but has a slightly slower lag time. and no, they arent the same thing ;). rd is by rambus, and i think ddr is about everyone else. maximumpc should have a review of the new rdram w/the also new 533 (i think) mhz fsb. check those benchmarks :wink:

Rambus about to die. The major companies have lost trust in Rambus.

Buy DDR , and buy as much as you can get… So that you will have no problems in about 2 years when you feel the time is right to upgrade.

How much memory depends on several factors.
We all know that the Windows 9X series happens to be the worst memory manager. The more you give it the more it wastes. 512MB should be the maximum unless you frequently use resource intensive programs such as large scale graphics, video and audio editing programs. Rendering large files is better accomplished with large amounts of memory. Beyond 512MB some people will experience their system runs slower.
Windows 2000 and Windows XP are better memory manager and have no problems with memory amounts beyond 512MB.
PC100 vs. PC133…since in most cases the cost is fairly even, then that’s a no-brainer. the worst that will happen is that you PC133 runs at 100MHz if your motherboard does not support it. Some motherboards divider allow you the run memory speeds different from clock speeds and will allow you to take advantage of the PC133 memory. If overclocking is a factor then the PC133 would be more desirable and your PIII 800 has an average overclocked speed of 987Mhz. That’s with the FSB at approximately 125MHz which can be impeded by the PC100 memory. Memory speed can make a difference in a successful overclock and any motherboard that supports PC100 will run PC133.
Good choice in selecting the PC133.

are you talking about memory or cpu bus speed 100 or 133 meg
well with your system it okay for 133mhz512sdram but take a look at your old ram it may present some clues.

Originally posted by ckin2001

amazing…but it has a (something)B then.

Probably; your info is correct.

Originally posted by cmr2003x
[B]

Probably; your info is correct. [/B]

Win9x has issues with Ram above 256MB.

It spends so much time swapping pages, that It is incredibly inefficent.

My friend POS Gateway from 1999 runs 500 MHz on a 133 bus. And no, it is NOT an EB series! The BIOS says so and so do the checksums!

strange…3 x 133mhz is only 400 mhz
3.5 x 133mhz = 465 (???)
4 x 133 mhz = 533mhz…so i think it should run on 533mhz

did you really check the setting in the bios??

but ok…i never trusted gateway

…for this reason I will never buy an OEM computer or OEM computer part. I am serious, the BIOS and checksums said the bus was @ 133 MHz and the Pentium III was at 500. His computer has issues then…or he overclocked it by accident (total dumbass - nothing about PCs)!!!