How much memory needed to burn discs at once?

I have a 52x cd-r and a 32x dvd/cd-r.

Being a safety conscious photographer, I burn a lot of cd’s since I always make a few copies of each CD.

It would be grand if I could efficiently burn two discs at once.

I just upgraded from 512mb to 768mb…will arrive shortly.

Will this likely be enough?

If not…how much is likely needed?

It’s not a depencendy of memoery alone , It is also a dependency if your harddisks can cope with this much througput. If they can successfully cope with it should be no problem.

Just try it out with two cd-rw’s :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
[B]It’s not a depencendy of memoery alone , It is also a dependency if your harddisks can cope with this much througput. If they can successfully cope with it should be no problem.

Just try it out with two cd-rw’s :slight_smile: [/B]
I wonder if it would go better if the dvdrw/cdrw driver was an external unit rahter than internal?

Not really , because the throughput is limited by the throughput of the source (usually the IDE harddisk inside).

And still , if you had a firewire (400Mbit) harddisk and two firewire writers , all the throughput would still have to be processed by your cpu , memory and controller chips.

Originally posted by bargain hunter
I wonder if it would go better if the dvdrw/cdrw driver was an external unit rahter than internal?

It depends.
If you compare two IDE drives in the same IDE channel to one IDE drive and a Firewire burner, then I would probably prefer the external option.
But if you’re talking about USB drives, then I like two IDE internal drives better.
IDE burners are really cheap. If you’re only going to use two at the same time, this is the logical step.

http://www.feurio.de/English/Professional/idewrites.shtml

naa don’t get a firewire burner. There’s no advantage for the speed in it.
As Mr. Belvedere said, try it with CD/RWs