How much did you first pay for DVD blanks?

My first burner was a Pioneer 2X DVD-R back in 2001 or 2002 that I paid $220. It would take forever to burn a DVD, so I didn’t really start burning DVDs until early 2003 with a [I]super-fast[/I] :wink: NEC 1100A(?) 4X DVD+R burner. I bought mostly Memorex and TDK 2.4Xs and 4Xs media for about $2.25 a piece. Fujis were also popular and I bought tons of the 5-packs for $9.99 on sale at Best Buy.
Then I figured out DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink and started buying 50-pack and 100-pack spindles. :wink: I remember buying a few 100-pack TDK spindles from Best Buy [I]on sale[/I] for $150 each. Then in 2004, I realized from online forums that people were buying bulk spindles from online websites. That’s when I also found about about the MID codes and that all my Fujis, Memorex, and TDKs all had the same MID - RICOHJPN01. That’s also when I heard about Ritek and their own brand, Ridata, and started buying spindles for $70. I think 2005 is when the bottom fell out for CD and DVD makers. You could buy a 100-pack of DVDs for $30 after rebate. You could even get 50-pack Sony CD-Rs for $2.99 after rebate or cheaper brands for free. Prices have actually gone up alot and there aren’t as many sales because of higher oil costs.

My first was a Dvd+r Hp 2.4x, at the price of 3.5€ a piece.
These are great, still with great quality, they were burned on 2004 and still without signs of degradation.

[QUOTE=Burnsama;2118402]My first DVD writers are Pioneer [B]DVD-R[/B] only
it can’t write and read DVD+R Media ( I don’t remember model # )
and I didn’t burn any single DVD disc :bigsmile:
first DVD blanks was Fuji 25pack DVD+R ( RICOHJPN 01 / MIT ) Best Buy $79[/QUOTE]

Update …I just found :doh:
First DVD writer was PIO [B]DVD-RW DVR-104[/B] and first DVD blanks was
Fuji DVD+R ( [B]RICOHJPN 00 / MIT [/B]) still have two disc

Mine was an HP100i and it cost 599.99. I think it was about Jan 2001.:wink: I may still have it, it was amazing to me that you could buy RWs discs that could used over and over again.

My first dvd burner was an NEC 1300a (still in use in my sister’s computer). My first dvds were Verbatim 4x I believe, made in Singapore, but I don’t remember the prices on either the burner or the disks. I try to forget painful outlays from the pocketbook whenever possible. :slight_smile:

We sell Computer hardware and software and the first dvdr we sold we Bulkpaq 1x dvd-r. we used to get them in tubs of 90 lol and split them into pvc sleeves and sell em for £1 each
First writer i had was a MSI which cost me around £180 which was very cheap back then lol

First dvdrw drive was the Sony 500a from Frys for $350, second was 3 LiteOn 811 POS’s, then I got a NEC 2500 :bow:
I sold the 500a to my step sister after about a year for 50, gave away the 811 drives I was so mad at and still have the 2500 on the shelf.
The Sony disks always played though it usually defaulted to 2x speed, The NEC was a brilliant drive that made excellent disks that tested and played better then any of the other drives…then they added DL…:bigsmile: I bought a DL survival pack from Best Buy for 30 bucks just to get 1 blank verbatim DL disk and 8 dvdrw disks. I think I burned one of the first DL disk anybody tried, it still works today. I think I was paying about 20 to 40 a spindle of 50 back when I started, friend bought a toshiba minus only burner about a year before me and I still have a disk he burned with it and it works.
My first CDRW drive was a Yamaha 4260 for 450 I bought online, pretty good drive in it’s day, though the plextor was so much better, and expensive too. I think I was paying about a buck or so a disk back about 98, friend also had a Turtle Beach 2x cdr drive from about 96? or so, he was paying 10 bucks a blank at first. His drive continued to work untill about 99, then we cleaned the pickup and he sold it working like new again for 50 bucks.

[QUOTE=Dartman;2120787]I bought a DL survival pack from Best Buy for 30 bucks…[/QUOTE]

A “DL survival pack”? LOL! :bigsmile:

Yeah, it was a fun time, get a faster burner for 40 bucks that blew away all the others I tried up to that point. I forget exactly what they called it but I think that was it. I still have a bunch of the disks from those packs as I bought a bunch online from a friend who got a ton of them somewhere. I burned all the DL disks out em of course. I really thought 30 was outrageous but I really wanted to try the DL hack/upgrade for that NEC and that was the only way to get even one blank back then.

[quote=Dartman;2120787]First dvdrw drive was the Sony 500a from Frys for $350, second was 3 LiteOn 811 POS’s, then I got a NEC 2500 :bow:
I sold the 500a to my step sister after about a year for 50, gave away the 811 drives I was so mad at and still have the 2500 on the shelf.
The Sony disks always played though it usually defaulted to 2x speed, The NEC was a brilliant drive that made excellent disks that tested and played better then any of the other drives…then they added DL…:bigsmile: I bought a DL survival pack from Best Buy for 30 bucks just to get 1 blank verbatim DL disk and 8 dvdrw disks. I think I burned one of the first DL disk anybody tried, it still works today. I think I was paying about 20 to 40 a spindle of 50 back when I started, friend bought a toshiba minus only burner about a year before me and I still have a disk he burned with it and it works.
My first CDRW drive was a Yamaha 4260 for 450 I bought online, pretty good drive in it’s day, though the plextor was so much better, and expensive too. I think I was paying about a buck or so a disk back about 98, friend also had a Turtle Beach 2x cdr drive from about 96? or so, he was paying 10 bucks a blank at first. His drive continued to work untill about 99, then we cleaned the pickup and he sold it working like new again for 50 bucks.[/quote]
I still have a brand new Sony510A that Dell sent my son in 2002 as a replacement for a Pioneer 106D. Still have both drives, they never made me send the Pioneer back.:wink:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2120791]A “DL survival pack”? LOL! :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

It seems i remember seeing those expensive ‘DL Survival Packs’ at Best Buy. I could not use them at the time because my DVD burner only supported DVD-R/W.

NBK

The NEC 2510 I think was the first burner to officially support DL burning, though the 2500 had the unofficial upgrade as well. Herrie used to do a lot of work on the early NEC drives but I think he finally got a life and got married. Now others here work them over but it’s not quite the same now that any new and unheard of features will not be added.

This is a snip of the invoice of my first DVD burner. I feel sick at the price now I am reminded of it! :eek:

I paid 300€ for my 1st dvd burner, it was a Iomega Dual Dvd±rw.
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters/iomega-dual-dvd-rw/117
It was a good burner, and it still work LOL.

I’m a relative noob to DVD burning. I got my first burner at a Black Friday sale at Office Max a coule of years ago at 5:00 in the morning then went to another sale at Circuit City and got a free spindle of neXXtech. I guess Circuit City played the part of the street corner drug pusher…Pssst! Hey kid, try this…You’ll like it…And the first taste is FREE!!!..

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2121718]…Pssst! Hey kid, try this…You’ll like it…And the first taste is FREE!!!..[/QUOTE]

LOOOOOOOOL :bigsmile:

First burner was a Hival branded 4x Optorite DD0203. First media was either HP branded MCC002 in jewel cases 10/$10 or a spindle of Khypermedia 2x TDKG02 25/$15

My first burner (and still have it in an external enclosure, and still works 100%) was a Sony DRU-510A for $400 something USD. This Sony was one of the last true-Sony drives, and one of the few drives that was +/- at the time! The drive did come with a couple disc’s, but i forgot what they even were LOL.

First brand of media I bought, and it was actually some time after getting the burner (couldn’t afford it right away) was some 4X TDK (RICOHJPN R01) discs, probably paid in the neighborhood of $40 per 50-pack. (the 2 disc’s I have left are mostly unreadable but thats my own fault LOL)

The Sony drive, though it can’t burn to a lot of newer media well, is still running strong. It’s ideal for when I run into some older media that needs to be burned at slower speeds :wink:

My first DVD Burner was a LG GSA-4160B. I bought it on December 2004 and cost me $130, it still works. The media, I bought 10 DVD-R Princo but after testing them, they were terrible, so I bought a 25 Imation spindle (MID: CMCMAG.AF1) that cost me between $15-$20.

My first DVD burner was a Litey 811S. A 50-pc cake of Ritek G04’s was another $24. I’ve never encountered a worse burner/media combo.