How much did you first pay for DVD blanks?

vbimport

Hi

I first bought a DVD burner, Pioneer DVR-A04 in early 2002. I bought Apple branded DVDs for $5 a piece in five-packs!!! I had to order from Apple because CompUSA was just too far drive…

Thanks
NBK

I remember a box of 25 for $50

When I got my first DVD burner (an 8x LiteOn LDW-851S), the first DVD blanks I bought were Panasonic TYG01 (pack of 20 + 10 free) - I paid about £20 for the discs :eek:

That was in 2004.

First dvd burner was a Pioneer 106D back in 2003, and the first media i bought were traxdata -R 1x and HP +R 2.4x, the cost was 3.5 euro for the traxdata and 4.5 euro for the HP (both of them still play fine).

My first DVD-burner was a Toshiba SD-R5112, bought in 2003 (and it was my only burner until March 07!)

My first DVD blanks were Skys, bought from Penny Markt ( :wink: ) and Octron branded RitekG03s from Lidl. I think they were about 2 Euro per disc.
Some time later I ordered very cheap overprints online, I remember my first 100pc batch being OPTODISCR004s which were so much cheaper than regular branded discs :iagree:

2 Euro for Emgeton Digireel DVD-R 4x (FNX102 or FORNEX101 MID codes) in 2004.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f76/fornex-dvd-r-234548/#post1959495
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/aging-older-dvd-media-scans-182040/index6.html#post1533087

40 Danisk Kroner (~ $8 ~ €5 ~ £4) per disc in 2004, including the Danish blank media levy which was huge at that time.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2118221]40 Danisk Kroner (~ $8 ~ €5 ~ £4) per disc in 2004, including the Danish blank media levy which was huge at that time.[/QUOTE]

What brand of media was it, or is it such bad quality you don’t want to tell us? :bigsmile:

The PowerMac G4 that I bought in 2002 had a 2x superdrive (Pioneer DVDR-104) and they included 2 DVDs (2X Maxells), after that I bought 5-packs from Apple, I think they were $25 or $30 per 5-pack.

Hmm…I think I paid between $20 and $25 for 15 to 30 discs/spindle of Sony 8x DVD+R [SONY D11], Memorex 8x DVD-R [CMC MAG AE1], and Maxell 8x DVD-R [RITEKG05]. Sounds about right, because I think I had $150~170 dollars from some miscellaneous jobs/chores/etc. I also bought my HP DVD Writer 530i at the same time for about 80 dollars [thus using all but about 10 dollars of my money up].

The first dvd writer i had was a Pioneer A05 which if i recall was about £200, the first blanks where G03’s Traxdata branded although i can’t remember the price, i do remember the first Traxdata G04’s i bought where about £50 for 25 disc’s.

The first cd writer i had was a x8 creative drive,can’t remember the model number but i now know it was a rebadged Plextor, the disc’s i used to get was the old TDK x8 cdr’s in box’s of ten, can’t remember there price though, used to get the old Verbatim Metal Azo disc’s as well.

I paid exactly £158 for my first CD burner (Phillips CDD3610)…CD media cost about £1 apiece (Kodak).

Got a Plextor 12/10/32A after that, which cost me £200. Luckily CDRs had come down in price by then :wink:

Anyway, that’s a bit off-topic…:o

The Creative Drive was a 8432 Plextor rebadge version, there was two other version of this drive, one was a panasonic and the other a samsung. When i found out i had the Plex rebadge it put a smile on my face, can’t remember how much it was though.

Had a Pioneer DVR-A04 on my Mac and PC mid-2002 and was using Apple-branded MCC 00RG20… and after cleaning out my media shelves a few days ago I found one unburned! :smiley: These cost me about ~$30+ in 5-packs back in 2002, and I bought 10 packs as I was on a shopping spree then! :bigsmile: Expensive media but couldn’t remember if I had one coaster (doubt it)! Worked with every client’s player, very happy with it! :slight_smile:

The next burner was a DVR-106D in late 2003 and more inexpensive but problematic media (RiDATAs and unbranded cheapos). A lot cheaper at ~$1-3, but a lot less reliable and compatible.

Here’s the virgin MCC 00RG20 I found, ©2001 (and Made in Singapore). :wink: Just needs a little dusting and it’ll go back on the shelf to serve as a testament to the early and expensive days of data backups on DVD media. :smiley: Who knows, I might burn it one day just for kicks! :stuck_out_tongue:

My first DVD writers are Pioneer [B]DVD-R[/B] only
it can’t write and read DVD+R Media ( I don’t remember model # )
and I didn’t burn any single DVD disc :bigsmile:
first DVD blanks was Fuji 25pack DVD+R ( RICOHJPN 01 / MIT ) Best Buy $79

What brand of media was it, or is it such bad quality you don’t want to tell us? :bigsmile:[/quote] You probably don’t know the brand…
… it’s an obscure little brand called Verbatim and they were 4x DVD-R (MCC 01RG20). :wink:

My next purchase was Memorex (CMC MAG F01) at half the price: 20 Kroner (~ $4 ~ €2½ ~ £2) per disc .

In 2004, a little over $1AUD for Ritek G04s. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. :wink:

LOL!!! my first DVD burner was a Liteon 401S which I paid $134.99 for along
with some Ridata 4x +R @$41.99 for a 50 pack and next purchase was Ridata
4x +R 100 pack for $58.99. I really thought back then that those prices were
a really fantastic deal… my how times (and prices) have changed. :iagree:

[QUOTE=getit29;2118814]I really thought back then that those prices were
a really fantastic deal… my how times (and prices) have changed. :iagree:[/QUOTE]

Hahaha, indeed - I paid £80 for the LiteOn I mentioned above, and no way did I think prices would get as low as they are now - for media or burners!

I can’t seem to remember what my first DVD’s cost (short term memory loss?) :stuck_out_tongue:

Not to go off topic but I do remember buying a Parallel port (Backpack something or another it was called) CD-R burner for ~$300 and the CD’s were $4 a pop :eek: