How much data on DVD-/+R

vbimport

I didnt find this question anywhere. How much data can I burn on single sided (4500MB) DVD +/-R media using [U]overburn??[/U] On CD it it important to use 800 or even 900MB to get 90 or 100minutes of music. But whats the catch with DVD?
Any suggestion? Anybody tried already??

[QUOTE=quazar912;2059251]I didnt find this question anywhere. How much data can I burn on single sided (4500MB) DVD +/-R media using [U]overburn??[/U] On CD it it important to use 800 or even 900MB to get 90 or 100minutes of music. But whats the catch with DVD?
Any suggestion? Anybody tried already??[/QUOTE]

DVD±R overburning is not supported by all drives and the amount of data which can be overburned depends on type of drive, medium and software. Some media can be overburned by more than 500 MB, some only by 50-70 MB. Howerever, I would not recommend you overburning of DVD±R media, it’s not worth for all those troubles with media compatibility, quality of writing and longetivity of overburned media.

It is best if you under burn a DVD disc because the farther you get out toward
the edge of the disc the more problems you may encounter or not depending on
the disc itself. If you’ll take a real close look at a disc you will more than likely
see a few blemishes in the dye on the very outer edge of any DVD disc and that
might well cause you playback problems on some players if you burn all the way
out to the edge. :iagree:

OK guys, I`ll take your advice :iagree:

Normal data storage on DVD:
DVD-R up to 4496mb (usually 4489mb)
DVD+R usually 4482mb

Overburning DVD+R is possible with some Plextor and BenQ burners.

In windows the discs scan as having 4.38GB when usually burnt to their maximum.

I usually fill them right up with movie backups as the credits or extras are probably the last thing on the disc, so even if there’s blemishes etc at the end of the disc, the actual movie itself should not be affected.

[QUOTE=chef;2063123]Normal data storage on DVD:
DVD-R up to 4496mb (usually 4489mb)
DVD+R usually 4482mb

Overburning DVD+R is possible with some Plextor and BenQ burners.[/QUOTE]

Some Nexperia based Benqs (1620 - 1655) support also DVD-R overburning.

[quote=pepst;2063841]Some Nexperia based Benqs (1620 - 1655) support also DVD-R overburning.[/quote] Have you found some trick to make BenQ drives overburn on DVD-R media?

The BenQ DW1620 doesn’t overburn DVD media at all as far as I know.

BenQ DW1640, DW1650 and DW1655 can overburn DVD+R media with some burning programs (e.g. CDSpeed and ImgBurn) provided that you turn off SolidBurn.

The same BenQ drives may succeed in simulation of overburning DVD-R media, but they fail during actual overburns of DVD-R media - at least when using the same method that works for DVD+R.

Plextor PX-712, PX-716, PX-755 and PX-760 series drives can overburn DVD+R media.

Since the outer edge is the most likely to suffer damage or have bad quality in production, I agree that it’s not worth the potential trouble and that it’s actually safer to underburn DVD media (burn to less than full capacity).