How much bandwidth for your Internet at home?

Simple question: How much bandwidth for your Internet at home?

Me: 800Kbps upstream and 8Mbps downstream

Next question: any plan to upgrade your line to VDSL or fibre in the near future?

I added a option for my case: I’ve got 128kbps up and 3,8mbps down…

My upstream is really slow :frowning: I wish something was done about that!

Originally posted by Dee-ehn I added a option for my case: I’ve got 128kbps up and 3,8mbps down…

My upstream is really slow :frowning: I wish something was done about that!

Sort of confusing. Your downstream bandwidth is 30 times as big as your upstream bandwidth. In my case, up:down=1:10.

There are now a sufficiently large number of people using VDSL and faster lines at home in South Korea. 10Mbps upstream and 10Mbps downstream is the norm for VDSL. VDSL is really for the mass and other services of NTopia by Korea Telecom and eValley by Hanaro Telecom are for the luckier and wealthier few and a few times faster.

What I am thinking of is a fibre-connected virtual HDD of one million million million million bytes composed of billions of HDDs. Nearly every PC user will have terabytes of storage at home. Gbps Internet will become uniquitous. That is a space to hold 1,000,000,000,000100-hr HDTV quality video files in MPEG-2 format.

Since it is quite possible to play multiple MPEG-2 video files over 10Mbps LAN in an office or at home, why not over VDSL? Thrunet in Seoul began commercial MPEG-4 VOD service a few months ago primarily for its 10Mbps cable subscribers. KT (Korea Telecom) has either started or been planning for similar service based on the newer Microsoft Windows Media 9 technology. Why not chat with your friends and collegues using HDTV camcorders over VDSL?

I don’t see my ADSL option either: 128K up/512K down? I’m adding it now…errrr…i forgot…am not a mod :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Originally posted by Kenshin
[B]

Sort of confusing. Your downstream bandwidth is 30 times as big as your upstream bandwidth. In my case, up:down=1:10.
[/B]

To be honest, I’ve the fastest cable connection one can have in the Netherlands. My connection is also faster than most DSL connections (here, we all have ADSL). In the big cities, faster connections are becoming available, but I don’t have that luxury. I live in the south of our little country, where technology runs 5 years behind…

Hey that poll is confusing! Too many options!
I have 512/512.
Here we got all kinds of connections, but most people (whos not on a 56K modem) got 512/512.

The majority (in Sweden) (excluding 56kers) are divided into either 512/512 (Kbit) or 10/10 (Mbit).
Students can have 100/100 (Mbit).

my cable is 128k up, 4 mb down because its an ‘entertainment’ service. go figure.

Originally posted by xox
I don’t see my ADSL option either: 128K up/512K down? I’m adding it now…errrr…i forgot…am not a mod :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Up 128Kbps - 512Kbps / Down 128Kbps - 1Mbps <- 128/512 here. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Kenshin
[B]

Up 128Kbps - 512Kbps / Down 128Kbps - 1Mbps <- 128/512 here. :slight_smile: [/B]

Ok I voted - although I must say it was a bit confusing at first. Even when I first saw the title I thought you were referring to amount of bandwidth as in how much can you download in a certain period of time (like a monthly cap).

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]

To be honest, I’ve the fastest cable connection one can have in the Netherlands. [/B]

What about other European countries? I don’t think Netherland is that backward in terms of Internet technology.

Speaking of situation in South Korea, 10 million people are using ADSL. I’m using 1Mbps upload / 8Mbps download ADSL . As Kenshin said, the number of VDSL users is increasing now. Well, then I can say that South Korea is leading broadband industry in the world. .:bigsmile:

P.S. I heard sometime that Japan had a big plan to catch up South Korea in terms of badnwidth

Originally posted by June
What about other European countries? I don’t think Netherland is that backward in terms of Internet technology.

Speaking of situation in South Korea, 10 million people are using ADSL. I’m using 1Mbps upload / 8Mbps download ADSL . As Kenshin said, the number of VDSL users is increasing now. Well, then I can say that South Korea is leading broadband industry in the world. .:bigsmile:

It has not much to do with technology. There are more people in and around Seoul than in the Netherlands or Australia. That’s all. People can reach a greater number of audience in a physically more populated area. It takes a lot less to upgrade the millions of PSTN and ADSL lines to VDSL than to install cable or fibre on a fresh basis.

Anyway, I feel confident you will also learn to make good use of your connection if you upgrade ADSL to VDSL.

100 MBit/s up and down, but if the average traffic of the last 14 days increases too much, it’s significantly slower.
Well, for 10 euro / year, it’s ok :wink:

Most servers can’t handle that anyway, not even M$.

But well, 40 sec for Win2k SP3 is not bad :smiley:

100 Mbit/s up and down for 10 Euro per one year ?

Hmm…

Originally posted by alexnoe
[B]100 MBit/s up and down, but if the average traffic of the last 14 days increases too much, it’s significantly slower.
Well, for 10 euro / year, it’s ok :wink:

Most servers can’t handle that anyway, not even M$.

But well, 40 sec for Win2k SP3 is not bad :smiley: [/B]

Let me guess: university campus?

10 Mbps both ways _ 24x7 _ $29 a month

Me, a little under US$30, including a Samsung external modem, for the Korea Telecom ADSL 800Kbps up and 8Mbps down.

The title is: How much bandwidth for your Internet at home?

Heh… here in India… 14 $ a month
64kbps up/down
:a

@Dee_ehn:
The dorms (you call it this way, right?), so something like campus. This fee is only for maintaining the whole thing.

Last year, they received 25 euro instead of 10, because they needed lots of thousands of euros for gigabit switches (to connect the houses to each other)

Cable here. If I’m correct 128k up and 6mbit down.

Originally posted by Airhead
[B]most people (whos not on a 56K modem) got 512/512.

The majority (excluding 56kers) are divided into either 512/512 (Kbit) or 10/10 (Mbit).[/B]

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! YEAH, I WISH!!! :a