How many times can you reuse CDRW?

vbimport

I just got some Memorex 24x CD-RW disks. I was just wondering how many times can these things be reused? 1000 times?

At most probably. Start counting and get back to us when they don’t work anymore :stuck_out_tongue:

100 times would be a more realistic estimate, although it can be as low as 5 for some media and burners! If your burner supports it, you could run CD Doctor periodically to check for gradual degradation.

Many, many times. But for safety reasons, use 2 CDRWs for backing up the same files. That way when one craps out you still have data on another.

Edit: Hmmm… that’s weird. I’ve been using Memorex 12x and more recently 24x CDRWs for backing up frequently updated files. I don’t usually do full erase 'cause that takes a lot of time, mostly just quick erase w/ CCD. There’s the usual one or two yellow blocks w/ cd quality scan, but that’s given since there’s always a dust or two on the surface. I’m using a 48246S @ 52246S w/ 6S0C, Nero.

Edit #2: Here’s what I got from CCD’s on the fast/full erase.

A fast erase will take about 2 minutes and will only erase the Table of Contents of the Disc. A normal erase erases the whole Disc and will take much longer. If the erase CD-RW is going to be used with CloneCD, a fast erase is sufficient. If the CD shall be used with Packet Writing software, you should do a full erase.

The Memorex Ultra-Speed 24x are still something of an unknown quantity. First reports have not been very good. A couple have reported that they won’t write at all. Having been VERY happy with the Verbatim 24x, I wouldn’t buy anything else, I’ve got one that’s been full-erased several dozen times and is still doing fine.
So, keep testing for read-errors and if they are too high, use full-erase. I’ve got some Memorex high speed that barely write at all even when new.
I think the answer to your question will be a fraction of 1000 times.

rdgrimes:

Do you know why full erase helps? I have been asking this question on various forums, but couldn’t find any explanation.

Do you know why full erase helps?

Has to do with the way the laser treats the disc, I think. the disc is returned to a “blank” state. I’ve played around with this while doing the RW discs tests, and it seems that the better RW discs don’t require a full erase as often, but but most all of them will start to show higher error rates after multiple over-writes.
My uneducated guess is that the tracking is always off just enough to create a jagged edge on the pits/lands when you’re over-writing, and a full erase eliminates this.

Maybe your guess is right. However, full erase seems to amount to Logical Erase (not Physical Erase), after which over-writing is apparently done anyway; for this info and other (not always correct) guesses see

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62423

SOB, can’t believe I wasted $10 on a 5 pack of Memorex 24x. Did a quick erase, burned at 24x, many yellow blocks at the end. Did a full erase, burned at 24x again, same thing. I wonder if slower speed will make a difference.

I wonder if slower speed will make a difference.

My tests of the Verbatim 24x are linked below in the RW thread. I found that 16x burning produced more errors than 24x, likely due to the CLV strategy vs CAV. If you slow it down, use 12x.

BTW, where did you get the Mem.24x? I’d like to get some for testing. Can you post the ATIP?

I don’t have any 24RW disc because still not available here…but
as i have tested, my Verbatim’s 12xRW discs not able burn >30 times without data losses. Except if Ultra speed discs use extra reliability than High speed discs

Fully erased the 24x memorex, and did another burn w/ Nero @ 16x, no multisession, ISO 2, Mode 1 (only 24x, 16x, and 10x in Nero). And what do you know, dramatic decrease in yellow blocks. The scan result is very similar to 12x memorex this time around, 1-2 blocks.

I got both the 12x and 24x Memorex from BestBuy.

24x Memorex
ATIP: 97m 25s 31f
Disc Manufacturer: InfoDisc Technology Co., Ltd.
Reflective layer: Phase change
Media type: CD-ReWritable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

This Disc is designed for CD-RW/COMBO Drive Only.
Disc Type, Material = HSCD-RW, Phase Change
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 25s 31f
Norminal Capacity = 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = Unknown
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 24X

12x Memorex
ATIP: 97m 25s 30f
Disc Manufacturer: InfoDisc Technology Co., Ltd.
Reflective layer: Phase change
Media type: CD-ReWritable
Recording Speeds: min. 4X - max. 8X
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 73f / LBA: 359848)

This Disc is designed for CD-RW/COMBO Drive Only.
Disc Type, Material = HSCD-RW, Phase Change
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 25s 30f
Norminal Capacity = 702.83MB (79m 59s 73f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = Memorex,InfoDisc
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 12X

I use RW disks for 90% of burns. I use Verbatim 10x disks which burn at 12x on my Liteon 52x writer. I have 15 of these RW disks which I must have burned at least 200 times each without a single error.

Just ordered a 12x Verbatim for test.

subman, can you post the ATIP for your Verbatim discs? Smart-Burn utility from Lite-On’s site will do.

Stoner -

ATIP from CDRid v 1.63

ATIP 97m 34s 23f
Disc Manf. Mitsubishi
Recoding Layer Phase Change
Nom. Capacity 656.40mb (74m 43s 00f/LBA 336075)

To all who use Mitsubishi Hispeed CD-RWs:

With some firmwares, I can reproduce that these discs can only be written at 12x in RAW-DAO mode.

I have then written audio-CDs and found that 12x DAO writing causes 10x as many errors in the Q-Subchannel as 12x RAW-DAO writing with VS08 firmware. There must be bugs in the subchannel data generation of these firmwares.
6S02 is also affected, 6S0C is not.

So if you really encounter issues with these discs, then use RAW writing!

Don’t use the Memorex Ultra Speed CD-RW! Just got 3.2-3.5 million C2 errors on a disc I just opened up (on the first burn!) And it was only burned to about 75 minutes! The only way these will be error-free is if they are burned at 10x. These would probably be terrible for audio CD, video CD, or mode2 CD, which don’t have C2 error correction, right? But don’t use these for anything near valuable!

I’ve had good luck with the one disk that Ive opened but I generally have terrible luck with memorex media.

Originally posted by scottmso
These would probably be terrible for audio CD, video CD, or mode2 CD, which don’t have C2 error correction, right? But don’t use these for anything near valuable!

C2 error detection/correction is a function of the drive, not the Red/Yellow/Blue/whatever-Book spec.

You are right in that the discs are crap tho if they give that many errors.

–Ari