How Many People Have DVD Readers?

vbimport

Does anybody know what percent of people have DVD readers for their computer?

Most people seem to have burners these days, with the prices being so low.

I know I haven’t owned a DVD-ROM drive in like 7 years. :slight_smile:

If when you say reader you mean a dvd-rom then yeah i have one but not in this machine, it’s in my pvr.

No, I mean a data DVD reader connected to their computer.

Some people still use the Aopen DVD-ROM readers here at CDF’s. Since the firmware moder/patchers (ala42 and CodeKing for example) have found how to manipulate the riplocks on some of the burners firmwares there’s not much need for the Aopens now though.

Maybe I should asked it this way:

Does anybody know what percent of people have a device attached to their computer that can read data DVDs?

Not for the last 3 years.

[quote=i_am_jim;2098673]Maybe I should asked it this way:

Does anybody know what percent of people have a device attached to their computer that can read data DVDs?[/quote]Hmmm… all DVD-ROM and DVD-rewriters are capable of reading data files on DVD.

I’m not quite sure what distinction you’re trying to make here…?

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2098693]Hmmm… all DVD-ROM and DVD-rewriters are capable of reading data files on DVD.

I’m not quite sure what distinction you’re trying to make here…?[/QUOTE]

Those are my thoughts, too. :wink:

Exactly. So, if a person has a computer with either a simple reader or a burner it is able to read a data DVD.

I have to distribute a large amount of data (explained in another thread) and I don’t know what the people who will receive it have in the way of equipment. I want to distribute it on DVD for simplicity, but if 30% of the population still have computers without either a DVD reader or writer I cannot use DVD. Thus my question:

Does anybody know what percent of people have a device attached to their computer that can read data DVDs?

I’m not trying to make a distinction. I’m trying to do the opposite. I’m trying to generalize to [I][B]anything [/B][/I] connected to their computer that can read data DVDs

Incidentally, many here seem to think all computers purchased today come with DVD burners. I bought a Dell laptop in January. It came with a reader, but I had to pay for an upgrade to get a DVD burner.

So do you know the demographics of the proposed target population? Are they likely to have newer computers (bought say in the last 5 years), or older machines?

They’re pretty much random people. Some of them have no computer at all, but they don’t matter because there’s no way to send this to them.

I keep reading things here and there, like xx% of people use Windows, or yy% use Internet Explorer, or zz% have broadband. So, I assume somebody knows how many people can read a DVD

If that’s the case, then why not just use CDR as more people are likely to have them (plus DVD drives also read CDR)?

That’s really what I’m struggling with. I have about 8gig of data I need to send to about 50 people. I either burn and ship about 100 DVDs or 600 CDs. And the person who gets them has to deal with either 2 interactive DVDs or 12 CDs to make use of the data. The DVDs are MUCH more convenient for everybody concerned. (assuming almost everyone has the ability to read DVDs).

IMO everyone by now should have a dvd-rom or dvd-writer drive i mean there as cheap as chips now and if they haven’t the should buy one. Personally though i would just burn them to dvd and send them out.

The only reason i can think of for not having a drive is maybe a school or business where disc’s are not needed and every thing is install via the server and in the case of a school no drive means kids can’t install games on the machines.

hi i am jim

ive recently went through all your post. you seem to be very vague in what you want to accomplish. you have just now let us know just what you want to do.

I have about 8gig of data I need to send to about 50 people.

can you please just let us know exactly your computer set-up? you have nero? can you run info tool? do you know your system specs?

ive seen in a thread where you will go with verbatim over YUDEN000 T02??? these are great disc, only if you dont like the shiny lacquer. but T02 are great.

[quote=troy512;2098923]hi i am jim

ive recently went through all your post. you seem to be very vague in what you want to accomplish. you have just now let us know just what you want to do.[/quote]

I’m not sure why that’s an issue, but here [I][B]in my very first post[/B][/I] I explained what I’m doing.

ive seen in a thread where you will go with verbatim over YUDEN000 T02???
I chose Verbatim because in research I did before I found this forum Verbatim and TY kept showing up as the best for archival purposes. Then people here have said things like, “if money aint a issue even burn the photo’s etc to CD-R’s like Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim media,” to me, in [I][B]this post[/B][/I] and [I][B]this one[/B][/I].

Since the issue of disk choice has come up again, what about the gold and silver disks here http://www.mam-a-store.com