How many Host files should i have

vbimport

Good Day

How many Host files should i have

I was just Looking around and found this

the reason is there is a few websites I am having a hard time getting to , I keep getting this error 503 service

So My Question would be How many host files i should have ?? how many can i have ??

and any tips or tricks on editing them ??

thank u

You look OK .
1 Host file is what you have at it’s size it doesn’t have anything but what it came with in it . It could but I doubt it anyway.
The Host.ics which I don’t have is for “internet conection sharing” if you don’t use that disable it . That host file will disappear . I think. If not just delete it . If you use “internet conection sharing” enabled then don’t delete it.
The lmhosts.sam is a sample file for NetBIOS . It;s supposed to be there but unless modified is the same size as mine . It also probably does nothing.

I do use a Host file & mine is a bit large but what I want. 756kb.

coolcolors & I discussed Host files some in this thread:

Normally,you should only have 1 active hosts file,and you remove the read-only attribute,you can can edit it with notepad…

I usually edit mine with Wordpad.
The important part is to set it back to “Read Only” after making changes.

thanks guys much appreciated

If you want to edit but can’t,check your security programs…some of them automatically protect the hosts file…

[QUOTE=roadworker;2733433]If you want to edit but can’t,check your security programs…some of them automatically protect the hosts file…[/QUOTE]

well What i really would Like to know is what can i edit or i should say what goes in there ??

i dont know much about this file all i know is u can stop specific websites by adding them to this file , other then that I dont know much about it

You can put entries after the loopback IP,so that advertising or malware sites can’t redirect you to their page…

But lazy as I am,I use the portable version of hostsman to do the job for me…:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=roadworker;2733439]You can put entries after the loopback IP,so that advertising or malware sites can’t redirect you to their page…

But lazy as I am,I use the portable version of hostsman to do the job for me…:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Great that is what i need

many thanks

Just a fast update roadworker thank u that program is doing what it should do

but i think it is full of bugs

but that ok

thanks

Do you run it as admin by every use?Some functions are accessible only then…

[QUOTE=roadworker;2733497]Do you run it as admin by every use?Some functions are accessible only then…[/QUOTE]

Oh No I will do that next time

thanks for that

^^ Just a heads-up, old thread - I know - but, some of the hosts editing-programs will change your file permissions, the owner (in the Registry) in such a way that a novice user may lose control over it.

Just, manually edit the hosts file, then [B]Run as administrator[/B] your [B][B]cmd.exe[/B][/B] prompt and (especially on Windows 10, which will want to modify your hosts file without asking & whenever it feels like it) then:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc>attrib hosts
A  S R  I    C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

… use: [B]attrib hosts +r +s[/B] to make it read-only [I]and[/I] system (so that nothing will touch it :))

[B]*[/B]reference @https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490868.aspx

Interesting. Thanks, didn’t know that :wink:

[B]hosts.[/B] is the first port of call for your web browser when trying to resolve a Domain name to an IP address. Think of it as a DNS Server on your machine. Can be fun to modify somebody elses [B]hosts.[/B] file just to cause some mischief. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=biggles77;2771061][B]hosts.[/B] is the first port of call for your web browser when trying to resolve a Domain name to an IP address. Think of it as a DNS Server on your machine. Can be fun to modify somebody elses [B]hosts.[/B] file just to cause some mischief. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
Yeah until they catch you and then you wonder whom got the last laugh… :cop::cop::cop: