How many drives can you have in one computer

vbimport

We want to have 6-9 DVDR drives. Could we use the two IDE channels for two and put in SIG IDE Controller cards for the rest? Is this even possible?

Does anyone have a setup like this?

Check this out: OC-Freak (review) computers with 10 internal bays. :cool:

It looks like he has 2 drives per channel, we’ve run into problems with just 4 drives on the MB 2 channels. Two burn and then the other two burn.

I wonder if he is having this problem. We would want to put as many drives on seperate channels as possible.

One of the biggest problems you will have with that many drives in one box, is heat…

So it’s worth the money to go with a Coolermaster case compared to an XCASE?

Or, build a standalone box for your optical drives that is IDE or Firewire attached.

I run 6 drives in this case The case can hold upto 11 drives, but keeping it cool could be a problem.

You also need to take care on which IDE contoller card you use. A lot of IDE controller cards wont work properly with optical drives. OC Freak gave me some good advice and i managed to get hold of a card with a Silicon Image 680 chipset which works very well.
The case is a ThermalTake BTW. Power Supply = Antec Truepower 430

Any problems with say:

Coolermaster Stalker Case (cooling should be fine)
SIIG IDE Controller Card’s
BenQ 1620’s?

I haven’t tried the BenQ drive on the IDE card. At the moment the LG and Liteon drives are on it and they work well.

In theory, you should be able to burn to 2 drives on one channel, if they are burning the same thing from the same process and they are identical drives. The problem with current drives is the WOPC which makes the drive pause to re-calibrate. Unless both drives do this at the same time, you will get the see-saw effect all over again. Limiting burn speed to 4x might be required, but even that could get messed up. Separate channels will work better for sure.

Lian Li PC-V2100. :slight_smile:

I had problems with the CPU time, drive seem to hog the channel, then problems altogether at speeds faster than 8x. My BENQ1640 is fine on my sil0680 non-raid. Problem is the PCI Sil0680 seems to be speed-limited by the PCI channel anyways, so using 2 channels provided by the one card at the same time gives the same see-saw problem. Putting them on the same channel on the same card also gives me that problem at >8x.

Then use PCI Express or PCI X. I have several 64-bit PCI devices, Gigabit LAN, PATA, SATA, and SCSI.

However, the limited bandwidth of 33MHz 32bit PCI isn’t that limiting. Use various methods to distribute load by combining PATA, SATA, SCSI, USB, IEEE 1394, LAN, etc. If your CPU isn’t powerful enough for your tasks, get dual-core Pentium D 820 or two Xeon 2.8GHz. Have more RAM and more powerful PSU.

Big case isn’t as important as there are quite many cases for holding several optical drives inside and they usually cost under US$50 and optical drives generate little heat unless you plan to torture everything on a PC by burning DVD write-once media at 16x in several drives at once for 24 hours everyday.

Problem is the PCI Sil0680 seems to be speed-limited by the PCI channel anyways, so using 2 channels provided by the one card at the same time gives the same see-saw problem.

PCI 32-bit 33MHz provides 133MB/s which is enough even for four channels at most times. First define what your needs are.

We want to have 6-9 DVDR drives.

Too vague. You can have 50 DVD writer drives in one PC if you want.

can you recommend one?

Get a CD-Tower (SCSI) and all your problems are solved.
//Danne

There are some large cases on eBay (US) but such products are very expensive in South Korea so I only have two 2-bay cases (either for HDD or ODD) and a few 1-bay cases (also either for HDD or ODD.)

well more accurately, i think the actual latency of the card means that it has LITTLE of the total PCI BUS TIME = LESS SPEED. Also this card doesn’t seem to be very smooth on the transfers, between the buffer full and buffer emptying, the lag time in between the card doesn’t seem to send anything. Also, I have other PCI stuff too, like a modem, w-LAN card, DTV card, Analog TV Card as well sharing the bandwith, and even though my PCI bus is 48Mhz (Overclocked) it still cannot handle smooth transfer. The cpu however is fine, running an AMD Sempron 2800+@core2224Mhz

and even though my PCI bus is 48Mhz (Overclocked) it still cannot handle smooth transfer.

Many IDE controllers do not like overclocking. Run it at stock and see how it works.

…and by running the PCI bus @ 48MHz you’re begging for data corruption.
//Danne

What motherboard are you running that you can’t lock the PCI bus??? Most modern mobos have an AGP & PCI lock, and will run fine overclocked. I’ve never seen anything that will tolerate a 48 MHZ PCI clock, most things puke around 40 MHZ!!! Dude, I’m suprised that machine runs at all, you’re frickin nutz! There’s NO WAY a bunch of controller cards will tolerate that! Are you sure you’ve got the AGP clocked that high??? That would put your AGP port @ 96 MHZ, and I’ve never seen a video card that would take that! That’s just crazy! :eek: