How many CD's should I expect to need? (Sony DCR-TRV460E)

[qanda]This thread is about the Sony DCR-TRV460E NON 540Kpix 2.5"LCD USB Dig8. Click here to see full specs[/qanda][qanda]This thread is about the Sony DCR-TRV460E NON 540Kpix 2.5"LCD USB Dig8. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I am just about to connect the camcorder to the computer to create movies…I would like to have some idea, approximately how much “time” can I get on a CD? will one High-8 tape fit on ONE cd? or will I be able to save multiple High-8’s onto the same CD? saying that I did not do any editing and just wanted to carry it all over…

saying also that my digital 8 taped in LP for a 90 minute tape…how many CD’s does this take? will one digital8 tape use up 3-4 cd’s??? I ran into this problem trying to put photos on a CD…it was insane how many CD’s I was creating!!!

and how would I find out how I did tape? if it was in LP or SP? I cannot seem to find it in the menus on the camera…

If you’re doing movies, you really should try to burn DVDs instead of CDs. If you want CDs, you probably need to convert to Video-CD format. This conversion will compress the original so there’s no way to know how many CDs you will need since it all depends on the compression you use. As for SP vs LP, an hour of video is still an hour of video no matter SP or LP. It just uses more or less of the physical tape.

RM

For DVD’s it will be based on time. A SL dvd will hold about 2 hours, a DL dvd about 4 hours.