How many CD's can be ripped before a drive wears out?

I’ve gone through a few CD-Rom drives in the past by wearing out either the disc spindle clamp or the drawer mechanism. I don’t remember just how many CD’s I’ve ripped (usually for one to two songs) before noticing a problem, only that I stopped after seeing slight damage to a few discs after they were placed in the tray.

My main gripe is when a disc gets circular scratch lines after being ripped. I’m guessing this is from the disc itself scraping against the drive’s loading tray? Has anyone here gone through this?

I have a music collection which consists of about 3000 discs and am planning to rip them all to WAV’s. I want to make this the last time dubbing them. Plus, some titles are rare and I don’t want to risk getting them scratched (especially circular), if they haven’t been affected already.

My question here is, what’s a safe estimate on the amount of discs that can be loaded into a drive before the drive wears out? Does ripping (meaning, the disc continually spinning fast) cause faster deterioration than usual?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks.

@ derfsurf,

I have a 5-year-old LiteOn LTR-52327S that has Ripped and Burned hundreds if not a thousand CD’s and a 6-year-old LiteOn LTD-163 that has Ripped just as many CD’s and has NEVER scratched or damaged a CD.

I make it a habit to visually inspect any CD and/or DVD Media before inserting in any of my Drives to ensure that the Media is clean and free of any debris the might damage the Media or Drive.

Regards,
bjkg

bjkg >> Yeah, unfortunately I have a small amount of slightly scratched used CD’s which rip fine. That’s probably what’s causing things to later go wrong with my drives after awhile. I always make sure the surface is cleaned and free from debris before loading in the tray, but I guess that ain’t enough when it comes to the scratched ones. From my experience (or maybe I’m just using not so great drives to begin with).

Do scratches on a disc cause problems with air hitting it while in the drive? I have some used CD singles with outer circular scratch damage. The one drive I was using was making this problem even worse. Thankfully they’re discs with only a few songs on them.