How many burn's will the average dvd burner do?

How many dvd’s do u think the average dvd burner will do before it ware’s out?

I have personally gone through a few 100 reams of cdr’s so I guess its gotta be in the high thouands range.

My LiteOn DVD burner is rated to burn 5,600-28,000 full length DVD’s (when burnt at 4x) before dying. As well as a life cycle of 70,000 hours when powered on. That would be 8 years straight if you never turned off the PC.

Read this thread for the calculations.

Hmmm - I wonder where you would be after the warranty figure claiming a duff drive that has only burnt a few hundred / 1 thousand or so dvd’s :slight_smile:

Those figures seem very high - my trusty plextor cdrw did over 4000 cdr’s and I feel that it one of the better ones.

Originally posted by icey
[B]Hmmm - I wonder where you would be after the warranty figure claiming a duff drive that has only burnt a few hundred / 1 thousand or so dvd’s :slight_smile:

Those figures seem very high - my trusty plextor cdrw did over 4000 cdr’s and I feel that it one of the better ones. [/B]
Well this is just in theory, in real life lots of things can and will go wrong :wink:

Personally i would be very happy if the drive lives long enough to burn a few thousand media.

Keep in mind that any time the spindle is spinning, the clock is running on your drive’s life-cycle. Doesn’t matter if it’s reading or burning. Other factors that greatly affect the life of any drive are heat and dust.
If you sit and burn discs (or read them) continuously, you might find the life of the drive is quite short.

I never considered that part (the drive spinning).
So that would then become 1400-6500 hours when “in use” and 70,000 hours power on time.

Of course as people have already mentioned, those are just stats. But it’s a rough idea anyway.

Some of the life cycle ratings are 70,000 at “20%” use or some such thing, but it’s all guesswork.
My Raptor HD’s are rated for 1.2 million hours. Now how did they test that one?

Like this I guess:

http://www.i-mtbf.com/ wrote
[b]Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF)

MTBF is a basic measure of reliability for repairable items. It can be described as the number of hours that pass before a component, assembly, or system fails. It is a commonly-used variable in reliability and maintainability analyses.

MTBF can be calculated as the inverse of the failure rate for constant failure rate systems. For example: If a component has a failure rate of 2 failures per million hours, the MTBF would be the inverse of that failure rate.

MTBF = (1,000,000 hours) / (2 failures) = 500,000 hours

Analyzing MTBF and MTTF with Relex Software

Relex Software Corporation produces software that enables users to easily perform MTBF calculations and MTBF predictions, based on the failure rate of components in an assembly. Relex Software is a leader in R&M (Reliability and Maintainability) software analysis tools. We specialize in software, training courses, and seminars covering all aspects of reliability engineering. Our products are used by thousands of engineers worldwide in a variety of businesses.[/b]

:smiley:

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Now how did they test that one?

With all kinds of calculation. I don’t know exactly how they work, but I know that there’s a 20-week college dedicated to this here at the university, go I guess it’s something quite complex.
This applies to CD/DVDR drives as well…

I managed to wear out a couple burners already. My Plextor 12x SCSI drive was gone in a couple of monhts. That’s maybe because I had to copy 2000cds in just 3 weeks time (yes, those were legal copies1) :wink:

so basicly it should last a fair few years if u don’t abuse it :slight_smile:

Considering the low cost of these drives, and rapidly changing technology, why would you want one to last for “years”?
But yes, “years” is probable.

My old boss when I used to work help desk had an old 8x CD burner that he had bought “years” ago. (yes he still used it quite abit). I would always bug him to replace it whenever the topic came up telling him top of the line ones were really cheap. But he was perfectly fine burning away with an old burner at 8x (the though drove me batty for some reason).
So there are people who will use the same drive for “years”. Not everyone is as IT geekish as us :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Considering the low cost of these drives, and rapidly changing technology, why would you want one to last for “years”?
But yes, “years” is probable.

Because, for example, my 241040 was a king of drives, great write quality and reliable - I waited for the new Plextors to come out and from initial threads and comments, I was less than impressed. So, I would trust my burner over that of the new drives - especially as the list of supported and major brand media for their newer drive was smaller than before.

New drives may support all kinds of features that I do not want, and as they get cheaper often build quality suffers - just look at all the problems with plextors dvd burners - many recalled, many people having no end of problems, etc - newer is not always better.