How many burns will a newer writer perform before the laser deteriorates?

Anyone here seen more than 500 decent writes from a recent 16-18-20x model?

Yes, someone has.

Wow, my NEC ND-2500A crossflashed to a ND-2510A saw over 1,000 burns and was still going strong before I sold it for a faster writer.

One of the best burners I’ve ever had.

They say the average motor life is 100,000 power on hours. You figure I always lose count anyways! :wink:

Lasers, like most of the components, are rated for hours of service. In most cases, the drive itself wears out long before the laser does. If you use the drive for ripping, especially at high speed, it’s pretty much assured to die before the laser does. Most common cause of drives hitting the trash bin is drawer malfunction.

Thanks for the info guys.

I seem to recall quite a few stories of writers beginning to burn poorly after 150-200 burns (from a failing laser), yet internal DVDR’s are used in duplication towers and I’m sure they must be able to perform many more than 500 burns…

My oldest burner is an NEC ND2500 that still works, but was retired because about every 50-75 burns it would make physical contact with the disc – resulting in many deep gouges. I don’t believe I got more than 200 burns from it. So yes, it seems likely a DVDR will fail for other reasons (dead circuit board, bad tray loader, worn out drive motor, etc) more frequently than just steadily diminishing write laser energy output.

Ok I had 1 Lite-On LH-20A1P that had drawer failure or something similar after maybe 40 burns and a few rips…

Half way through a burn I clicked abort and somehow the drive was shafted :frowning:

Anyway…

My top drawer LH-20A1P has now done in the region of 2500 burns and no other usage at all.

My bottom drawer LH-20A1P has done about 1000 burns maybe a bit less, and about 40-50 DVD rips as well as using it for normal usage installing drivers, programs etc etc etc

Both drives are getting tired now and are a tad noisy but will both be replaced in the next week or so.

It’s worth mentioning that I still get only 1 coaster, maybe 2, per 100 discs burnt and all discs seem to have good compatability in standalone players!!

[quote=jumney1;1936635]Ok I had 1 Lite-On LH-20A1P that had drawer failure or something similar after maybe 40 burns and a few rips…

Half way through a burn I clicked abort and somehow the drive was shafted :frowning:

Anyway…

My top drawer LH-20A1P has now done in the region of 2500 burns and no other usage at all.

My bottom drawer LH-20A1P has done about 1000 burns maybe a bit less, and about 40-50 DVD rips as well as using it for normal usage installing drivers, programs etc etc etc

Both drives are getting tired now and are a tad noisy but will both be replaced in the next week or so.

It’s worth mentioning that I still get only 1 coaster, maybe 2, per 100 discs burnt and all discs seem to have good compatability in standalone players!![/quote] Thank you, that is very good to know a 20X Litey is capable of so many burns. I know there is a member or two here who has had two fail this year, but those must be exceptional cases. Hopefully Samsung 203Bs will last 1000+ burns…

I only recently retired my LG 4163B, which was a real workhorse (don’t ask how many burns though, my memory is crap!).

My most used burner ATM is an external LG E10N, doing nicely so far.

For robustness I’d definitely get another LG personally.

My oldest drive on hand is…I think my Lite-On SOHW-1693S. With some modern media it doesn’t do so well. But with media that it supports well [YUDEN000 T02 pops into mind] it still rivals my newer drives. This is after seeing about 15 or 20 50 disc-spindles, and countless other packs. [Around a thousand discs, if not more]. That thing is a workhorse.

My A1P [only a couple months old] has seen about 100 burns thus far. Still pristine. My A1H would still be alive, were it not for an unfortunate set of incidents involving a curious CDFreak [me]. It saw at least 250 burns. Probably more.

I don’t subject my other drives to that much burning*, but not a one has died. All still seem to perform up to par with the day that it was received.

*:I usually do 2 or 3 burns in a row with my LiteOns. Just the way I burn. And I’m sure my Litey drives have been starved for air before, gotten moderately hot, and wanted to stop. Yet they never stopped…

One of my Plextor 760A has more than 180 dvd burn hours w/o any sign of deterioration.

[quote=wallace0134;1937006]
*:I usually do 2 or 3 burns in a row with my LiteOns. Just the way I burn. And I’m sure my Litey drives have been starved for air before, gotten moderately hot, and wanted to stop. Yet they never stopped…[/quote] That is a good thing to remember: consumer DVDRs aren’t rated for continuous duty and need a rest after several consecutive writes. A well ventilated case goes a long way in keeping an ODD from running too hot also.

I haven’t had a laser fail yet, starting with a CD-ROM drive in 1993. I’ve lost count of my CD and DVD burns, but I’m sure one of my ND-2500s (probably my most used burner) has done at least a few hundred writes. The only fails I’ve had are an old Philips made HP 420i that sometimes won’t recognize discs. I think it’s the laser cable. If I leave the bay under it empty and push up on the bottom of the drive when loading a disc, it works most of the time. Anyway, there was a class action suit against Philips on that drive, they ended up having to replace it with a current model (8x4x32) and some blanks. The lawsuit said that it would not reliably write over 400MB on a disc though being advertised to write a 650MB disc. (Mine handled 700MB discs fine before it failed). This claim tends to support my theory that the laser cable (or one of the connectors) had a problem - as the pull on the cable changed, the laser quit working.

The only other semi-failure I had is the DDW-811 in my Lite-On 5045 rebadge and that’s a problem with the motor spinning up. With the top cover off, if it fails to spin on its own, a slight push of the disc gets it working. These drives seem to fail a lot, just check the standalone DVD recorder forum. Fortunately, the recorder can use most standard IDE burners, though the CDDA, VCD, and SVCD functionality, and sometimes fast forward, are lost.

My DVD writer collection includes a Pioneer 104 (burned well over 100 discs), a Lite-On LDW-411s@811s (actually got better burns at 8x than I got running it as a 411!), 2 NEC ND-2500s (still in use cause I haven’t bothered to swap a newer drive in yet and I’ve been burning on other machines), an old Benq (800 I think, K-Hypermedia package), NEC 3500, NEC 3520, NEC 6500 slimtype, 2 Mad Dog NEC 4550s, a Pioneer 111D, a Lite-On LH-16W1P, a Phillips/Benq (Lite-On) DS-8AZH slimtype, plus the drives in my standalone recorders, a DDW-451 in my Lite-On 5005, DDW-811 in the 5045 rebadge, whatever drive is in the Lite-On LVW-1105HC, and a Philips drive in Philps recorder.

I don’t know, I think the DVD generation is where we’ll see more laser failure than before, compare to the CD area, we’ve been doing DVD for a longer time, and it doesn’t look like it’ll be going anywhere in the near future. Regardless it really depends on the individual products, i’m pretty sure they can’t have good QC on these kindda things.

Ive burned about 1200 DVD-Rs and countless CD-Rs on my Toshiba SD-R5112 and its still perfectly working.
I only retired it because it cant write +R media.

your doble optical is damaged

http://club.myce.com/f44/comprehensive-liteon-tools-collection-v5-0-7-revised-8-january-2007-a-83441/